• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Almond/black vs. Almond/red?!?

T
Nov 1, 2011
P'Tucky
What's the difference? Are these just redundant springs from different eras?
Had an A/R that was likely shot, put in an A/B and... you know the story, like a new sled:face-icon-small-hap. Snow had a firmer base under the pow than the previous day that could account for some of it, engagement is 2-300 higher (4-4200, could verify the A/R was sacked). Top end rpm is the same, I like it, guess that's what counts. Confusing though as the "free length" specs are 1/2" apart otherwise both are 165/310. A/B is square stock wire, A/R is round.

Any info on the technical difference?

Polaris primary spring chart.jpg

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Yes, the Almond/Black was a square wire spring. It had a tendency to break. The almond/red is a round wire spring and was designed to take its place. The free length is different however so in some of the older clutches the almond/red will coil stack and bind where the almond/black wouldn't.

sled_guy

T
Nov 1, 2011
P'Tucky
Thanks Sled_guy, I will keep an eye on it for breakage. This is in a different Edge with a ported 800, not my 910 Edge which still has the black/green.

Interestingly my measured "free" lengths are the same for the A/R & A/B, despite what the chart says. Maybe my understanding of "free length" is incorrect, I did read it on the internet:face-icon-small-win

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
I don't even think they make that square wire any more do they?I personally would get a different spring to put in there other than the square as they break and i seen quite a few that did back in the day. It's not worth losing a day of riding.

Premium Features