• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alaska trip

Heath

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2008
Thinking about going on a trip to Alaska next year for b day wanted to know where the best place to go is. I like to ride pretty agree sieve so don't want any or much trail riding. Any suggestions or web sites to look at?

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
We don't have much in the way of trails and most of those lead to the mountains. Lots of good riding to be had from the road system in a normal winter (this year has been warm and suckeh!).

The problem is there really aren't any places that rent sleds. You can take a guided trip but those are pretty tame and not what an experienced mountain rider would like.

The best option is to split the costs and drive up and ride for 2 weeks. Four guys in a crew cab pick-up with a sled deck and hauling a two place gets on the ferry in Bellingham Washington and gets off in Valdez or Whittier. It's a 3 day trip and costs around $2,000. Then it's lodging, gas and food once you're here.

Or, you could drive up through Alberta, BC and the Yukon and ride as you go. That option will like cost more and you'll probably never make it up to here.

Depending on how hard you hit it figure $4500 each. Not cheap but worth the trip.

Clutch your sleds for 3,000 to 6,000 feet and bring additives. We only get 90 pump premium up here but it doesn't have ethanol.

As for destinations?
Gate Creek Cabins
Alpine Creek Lodge
Maclaren River Lodge
Bentalit Lodge
Winterhaven Lodge
Freddy's Roadhouse

Last edited:

Heath

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2008
Thanks for info a lot to think abouut. I was thinking in january is that a bad time to try

L

LuckydawgAK

Feb 13, 2011
Aurora, CO
I would compare these charts when thinking about when to come to Alaska.

I like to get my riding in in the am and have the rest of the day for any sort of mishap that might come up.

January

March

March provides some great snow, long days and warmer temperatures.

Premium Features