• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aftermarket clutch cover reviews

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Well I’ve got my new clutch on. Based on a couple posts from Kanedog and grieff, I’m having second thoughts on putting the ZRP, that’s anxiously waiting to spin, on. I was thinking it might be a good idea on a new clutch but don’t want to create a second problem. I like longevity. Sometimes this type of reading is like diagnosing on webmd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Summit, what did you end up doing with this? Inquiring minds!
Was only the cover affected? Can’t really tell in the pic if the tower cracked also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sorry for any confusion. I should have circled the piece in the original pic.
Just the cover cracked the little piece off the corner like u see on so many snowmobiles. People say that its from the towers twisting and i think it's more likely a tolerance issue. Mine cracked while removing the cover because its so tight and i didn't loosen all bolts at the same time. Kinda hard to do that.... lol
240d214547a1795719faab37ca9110b7.jpg

Sent it

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Line8.........you may have misunderstood what I said. If you have a new clutch, Great! Put your weights and spring in it, put on the ZRP cover..............Now send it off and have it BALANCED. You will have a sweet, smooth clutch. My point was just because you have an aftermarket cover (ZRP or whomever) doesn't mean you are not going to have any more issues. The Team clutch should be balanced better from the beginning. The tolerances for a new clutch are still way to loose in my opinion. Have it balanced, and look at the numbers before and after balancing. You will be surprised at how poorly balanced they are new. Patrick Custom Carbon did a nice job on mine and send you back the spec sheet with your clutch.

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
Agreed, but I will say, I think there is still more to discuss. I feel we have a few experts questioning if there is ANY value in lightening our clutches, let alone if there are long-term negative effects, while a couple manufacturers are staking claims it SHOULD be done and buy their product.
To make the engine more responsive by reducing clutch weight you have to make a significant weight change (more than a simple reduction to the cover) as you have to compare that reduction to the overall weight of the entire crank shaft and everything connected, i.e. flywheel, crank pins, pistons, piston pins, piston rods, crank pins, ring gear. Many of these components are made of steel. The other consideration is the rotational inertia energy loss mostly goes away after the engine rpm hits the shift point because the engine for the most part stops accelerating. No acceleration, no losses. So your effort to make the engine more responsive only comes into play during the first second or two after you hit the throttle. It may be worth it if your constantly on/off the gas playing in the trees but otherwise IMO not worth it. When Polaris introduced the Axis RMK in ~2016 they re-designed and lightened the entire crank assembly from the previous Pro RMK. That was a game changer. The CTEC 2 not so much. Don't get me wrong I love my new M-8000. I changed from Polaris for the handling not the engine response.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Yesterday I removed my new clutch cover. I put it Side by side with the ZRP cover and when flipped over looking at the back side, there is a definite strength advantage to the ZRP. Clearly a more solid piece. As far as weight, it’s minimal. Yes they claim something. But put gloves on and close your eyes and you would probably not guess which was which every time.
I can also see where the stock cover has some weak points. I’m no engineer but that minor weight difference seems it wouldn’t be much of an impact. The strength part, I would think would make a positive impact relating to those obvious weak points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
One important variable not being discussed - heat. Sound like the ZPR runs much cooler which to me is more important then weight. Cooler and strength sounds like the benefits!!!

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
I just want to thank @ZRP Engineering for shipping a brand new clutch cover replacement following my "my cover is cracked" comment earlier in this thread.

You've earned a lot of trust from me zrp. My current and future sled will be seeing more zrp parts.

I just want to set things straight. If you have problem with your zrp parts just talk to them first, don't do like me.

Signed, an happy customer.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I would add (reinforce) that the clutch should be balanced. I wouldn't run an aftermarket cover again without balancing the whole assembly. I failed to do this. Don't be like me.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I would add (reinforce) that the clutch should be balanced. I wouldn't run an aftermarket cover again without balancing the whole assembly. I failed to do this. Don't be like me.

Well what happened?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Yeah the cover came apart in a bad spot. Luckily it stayed together somewhat and the snow kind of sucked, so I made it out keeping rpm low. The company refunded my purchase, and were very good to work with. Rereading their warranty, they now say you need to balance the clutch for coverage and I can see why. I ended up finding two small cracks in my sheaves and replaced the whole clutch. Don't know if it was balance related or airtime and hitting full shift often, maybe both. Hope the new one lasts at least a year.

powwow

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
East Kootenay
I don't think the aftermarket cover is going to save them. They are cracking everywhere on the clutch. The cover is just one of the problems. Cannot believe there isn't a recall. They are a huge safety risk.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I don't think the aftermarket cover is going to save them. They are cracking everywhere on the clutch. The cover is just one of the problems. Cannot believe there isn't a recall. They are a huge safety risk.
Couldn't agree more...
Maybe it takes a lawsuit to get that ball rolling?

Sent it

Premium Features