• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

94 Phaser 2 clutch sticks

S
Feb 22, 2012
I am new to snowmobiles and recently purchased a '94 Phaser 2. When I start out the clutch works fine but after about 1/2 hour of riding the clutch sticks and will stall the engine when you stop. Any suggestions on how to fix?

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
It's been awhile since I've seen a post on this! I had a 91 Exciter and 92 Phazer that both did this. The problem was with the older YXR primary clutch and the white nylon spider slider bushings that they used.
When the clutch/bushings would get hot, the spider towers would bind in the bushings.
I tried sanding the bushings on a file with fine sand paper and it did help. However the binding would always come back, especially on the Exciter due to it's higher horsepower.
What I ended up doing to fix the problem completely, was upgrading the clutch to the newer YVX spider bushings. Basically what you are doing is replacing the 3 white nylon slider bushings with the 6 black spider bushings and pins found in the current Yamaha primary clutches.
To do the mod requires a spider removal (grunt tool) tool and you have to carefully drill 3 small holes in the spider. The holes are for the locating pins that hold the newer style black slider bushings in place.
After I upgraded the clutch, I never had another sticking problem again and the shifting was much smoother!:thumb:

Bill

Premium Features