• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

858 Ride review- Sea level

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
Ok so before I get into any of the details, let me just say I put 2 short rides in on the sled tuning the fueling, and at the end of the 2nd ride, I blew a rod bearing on my mag side with 2500 miles on the sled. So, couple days later and with a fresh piston on the mag side (bearing chunks scraped up the piston but the cylinder held up GREAT) I've had 2 more rides on it and have been getting the clutching dialed in and spec'd for 0-2k, 2k-4k elevations. It's close right now but I had a belt issue that I dealt with today and the next 2 rides should be all I need to have it dialed in tight.

With that said-

The 858 makes considerably more power than the stock 800 Pro motor. It gives the Pro the top end power and snap that is lacking in stock form, and you can feel the motor revving much quicker throughout the rev range. The sled is very fun to bounce in and out of deep, snow loaded holes in our glacial area here, it always comes out building speed instead of chugging like a stock sled can in these deep load conditions. A lot of the guys I've been riding with have been commenting how you can really hear the sled sounding much healthier and pissed off...and my previous setup was a great running combo.

The rings have been seating up and making more compression after each ride and it's pulling harder each time. I will be trying some much steeper initial angles with the Tied this week/weekend to help extract the bottom end power delivered by the added cc's and porting. The sled is pulling more weight and more helix, to a higher RPM, than it ever has before which is great evidence of the gains. I've let a couple guys throw a leg over it and they were all pretty impressed, they might post up here if they have a chance.

I try to be objective about any products out there in the powersports industry. Yes, Kelsey did give me a great deal on the kit and I probably will sell some in the future, but this kit is a real performer so far and I really only have about 3-4 tanks of fuel in it. All time spent tuning fuel and clutching and working out other bugs within the sled. I'll update this thread with some more info as I get more miles on it and really get it dialed in tight. Over the next few weeks I'll let some other local guys get on the sled and post their opinions as well.

Some pics from this weekend and today..even got to team up with a 2013 Summit XM to tow a downed Freeride...highlight of the day for sure :D

3f85b0c5.jpg

f608fdd9.jpg

ef4f3b4f.jpg

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
glad to hear its working good chad...so far how much more weight are you pulling(I assume you were and are still runnning a similar setup to what I ran on the dragon?) looking forward to hearing more..thanks mike

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
About 3-4 grams more right now Mike..the engine likes 8200-8350. Keep in mind the helix change as well though...If we could raise this damn limiter a little it would be nice. Unless a guy uses a Tied, he might have trouble staying off the limiter when clutching for MAXIMUM performance. But that's the case with the stock or slightly modded pro engine anyway.

Last edited:
T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Good review Chad. Can't wait for you to get some more miles on this thing and to get it dailed in well. Then of course, bump into you in the mountians and take it for a rip. Just might have to end up with that setup by fall :face-icon-small-ton

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
Looks like perfect test snow. Did you line up with the new Skidoo? How many lengths did it pull a stock Pro?

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
Not sure, I ride mountains...not too much into drag racing flat lands. The snow was so good we didn't do much comparing

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
i rode it and it is for sure a runner. i have a very strong running 2011 that pulls 3-4 grams over a stock sled, 2-3 grams over a 12, and there is a significant gain with the 860 over mine. looking forward to riding it again once it is dialed in. and for those who it is a concern, we will make an attempt to get some short drag race comparisons and definitely some side by side hill comparisons.

pv

L
Jan 29, 2010
how do you think this compares to a turbo?

how is the fule economy over stock?

what do you think of the cost to power ratio? for lack of better description.

i like the idea of a turbo or carls 900, but i have a feeling this is about the best bang for the buck out there.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
The sled definatly is a runner. I was running it back to back with my tur-pro and a clutched/geared 2010 m8. The m8 felt like a 6 after these two. In moments where the pros uncanny ability to jump up on top of the snow and just keep tractoring along this motor climbed out and just kept building speed. It doesn't quite have the power of a turbo, but it definatly didn't dissapoint. It just gets up and goes. This was the firs day of tuning also where we were running a fairly "safe/fat" map on her and not quite there on the clutching. Can't wait to get back on her when she's dialed.

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
That second pic looks like a perfect test hill. I've never put much stock in flatland drag racing mountain sleds either. But on some type of hill you can get a better idea of how it's running vs. stock. Rather than seat of the pants runs.

dragonfire

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Fargo,N.D.
About 3-4 grams more right now Mike..the engine likes 8200-8350. Keep in mind the helix change as well though...If we could raise this damn limiter a little it would be nice. Unless a guy uses a Tied, he might have trouble staying off the limiter when clutching for MAXIMUM performance. But that's the case with the stock or slightly modded pro engine anyway.

Are you running pump gas? Do you still have the dynoport pipe on? Are you using the pc5 fuel box? Thanks for all the info.

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
That must have been you in that parking lot at turnagain friday? I was up there riding with Nigel, would have came over and said hi if I would have known that was you haha.

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
That must have been you in that parking lot at turnagain friday? I was up there riding with Nigel, would have came over and said hi if I would have known that was you haha.

Oh, yep...I assumed you don't live here due to your North Dakota thing in your avatar?

To the guy above-

Yes, dynoport pipe, breaking in on 92 octane but I think 90 octane will be just fine...and yes, PC5 fuel controller. I have the numbers converted from Kelsey's Boondocker box numbers and it's all working very well. Hoping for a couple hours of testing this week sometime, then lots more this weekend..with 3+ feet of fresh!

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
Got some more riding in this weekend. Clutching is pretty much done and it's running pretty hard. This sled is throwing a lot of weight and slinging a pretty steep helix angle..pretty impressive

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
There was more than 3 feet of fresh in the placer valley in places as of friday and saturday, lots more settled up now

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
I'm curious to the final clutch setup you ended up with? Weight, springs and helix?

Premium Features