• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850E-TEC Turbo R better sounds

D
Dec 22, 2018
I know this might not be the most popular subject but personally I love the turbo sounds when riding. But I dont like about loud exhaust and I have stock can. Well I bought this wrecked Freeride and have been playing with it a bit more as it has no warranty.

So what I did I removed the resonator hose from inside the airbox.

resonator.JPG

Now my sled sounds like a mod sled, you will hear intake sounds, turbo and wastegate a lot better. Personally I like it a lot more than stock and gonna remove it from my other turbo too.

If you take sledding too serious or you enjoy the sophisticated sounds of Turbo R, dont do this! Otherwise its a fun small mod to do.

D
Dec 22, 2018
I would say you need cold , outside air for your engine to work properly. Just my two cents worth.

And in your opinion how would this affect on that?

Resonator pipe is there just because of the sound regulations that are tight at least here in Europe. If you look into RS racers airbox its just an empry box. Those sleds dont have this pipe as they dont need or cannot be registered here after 2020, therefore sound or other regulations wont apply.

When riding, airflow is so rapid trough the airbox that it doesnt have time to warm up there and this is a fact. Its more about getting enough air through the box.

If something is possible, is that resonator pipe does restrict air flow (reduces space in the airbox) and in theory removing it can help a bit. But personally I dont believe it makes a huge difference on that if the pipe is there or not.

D
Dec 22, 2018
I would say try and see. In spring conditions you might see a difference, but like I said it is just my personal opinion from running machines for over 4 decades. Air flow is important, and laminar air flow is also, but it will sound cool :) Laminar flow is defined as airflow in which the entire body of air within a designated space is uniform in both velocity and direction. Just my opinion.....................

First you talk about intake air temperature and after that was debunked you talk about air flow? Fancy terms wont make your case solid. I have been talking and working a lot with r&d guys, dyno and tuning guys and anything they say (and our results) wont support your case.

Truth is that before throttle bodies, nearly only thing that matters is that air is supplied enough (enough space for air to flow and filters that flow good enough). Anything restricting the flow is a problem. The resonator pipe in theory might be a small issue on this matter so removing it might be beneficial, but if so it will be marginal. And if this kinds of pipes would be beneficial in any other way than restricting sounds, believe me it would have been used in racing applications.

You can test this in dyno (and yes we have) take off the hood and let engine breath straight through. With some engines we had to clear out airbox and use extra vents. In result we have been able to increase amount of fuel used (=more power, better response, runs better and more clear) when engine breaths properly. Simple as that.

With all respect, I have been on the sport for nearly 3 decades and every season I learn something new. Sport and technology evolves. Things people took as fact on the 90s or 00s wont apply anymore. There are still lots of myths going around that arent based on facts neither results.

For the end, I could give you guys a little trivia. 99% of people dont know what this vent is and why its there. But this vent is for the time when your primary vents are blocked by snow, this vent will open and you can still run your sled. Ofc its a hot air from engine bay but its a backup so your sled wont bog. There will be a lots of dust after season of riding, and before every season you should take your hood of and clean these filters too. Maybe even do some midseason cleanup if you ride a lot.

Capture.JPG

ATVPT

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
www.youtube.com
First you talk about intake air temperature and after that was debunked you talk about air flow? Fancy terms wont make your case solid. I have been talking and working a lot with r&d guys, dyno and tuning guys and anything they say (and our results) wont support your case.

Truth is that before throttle bodies, nearly only thing that matters is that air is supplied enough (enough space for air to flow and filters that flow good enough). Anything restricting the flow is a problem. The resonator pipe in theory might be a small issue on this matter so removing it might be beneficial, but if so it will be marginal. And if this kinds of pipes would be beneficial in any other way than restricting sounds, believe me it would have been used in racing applications.

You can test this in dyno (and yes we have) take off the hood and let engine breath straight through. With some engines we had to clear out airbox and use extra vents. In result we have been able to increase amount of fuel used (=more power, better response, runs better and more clear) when engine breaths properly. Simple as that.

With all respect, I have been on the sport for nearly 3 decades and every season I learn something new. Sport and technology evolves. Things people took as fact on the 90s or 00s wont apply anymore. There are still lots of myths going around that arent based on facts neither results.

For the end, I could give you guys a little trivia. 99% of people dont know what this vent is and why its there. But this vent is for the time when your primary vents are blocked by snow, this vent will open and you can still run your sled. Ofc its a hot air from engine bay but its a backup so your sled wont bog. There will be a lots of dust after season of riding, and before every season you should take your hood of and clean these filters too. Maybe even do some midseason cleanup if you ride a lot.

View attachment 418137
You are mostly correct, but after you start messing with that it is all about tuning, which I failed to mention earlier. But if you are digging away at things like this you must have some experience at it. If I were you, to avoid trying to mess with guys like me,. You couldn't care less about what experience we have here in the States, which is obvious. Just tell someone if you remove some oem part you will likely have to do some retuning of your machine. Plain and simple, and there again it is just my humble opinion :) You seem to be an expert, ain't that nice :) As for learning, hopefully we will all learn something new everyday, that's what makes life wonderful, eh.

Last edited:
D

Daner1978

Nov 26, 2022
Cottonwood Heights Utah

View attachment 418137
I think you need to change your username to “Einstein”!!! 🤣🤪🫵

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
We used to gut airbox, years ago, and it made a decent difference. People said it doesn't. Side by side testing showed different. No idea now. Haven't done it in years and everything is way better.

ATVPT

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
www.youtube.com
I stole this off the internet so it must be true :)

What Does an Air Intake Resonator Do?

The Common Misconception

Most hot-rodders and car enthusiasts think of intake resonators as simple mufflers in the intake tube, devices designed to siphon all the awesomeness out of a car's sound track to appease soccer moms and senior citizens. That makes it a prime candidate for the "chuck-it" school of auto modification. After all, it's basically just a plastic tumor growing off of a tube that should by definition be as smooth and blemish free as possible. While sound control is indeed part of the resonator's job, the sound control itself is really more of a side effect of its primary purpose.

Pressure Wave Harmonics

Air flowing into your cylinder head's intake port doesn't move in a straight line while the valve is open, then politely stop in its tracks to await another valve opening. When the valve closes, the moving column of air slams into it, then compresses and bounces back like a spring. This pressure wave travels backward at the speed of sound until the intake runner opens up or it hits something, and then it bounces back toward the cylinder. This is the "first harmonic." The pressure wave actually bounces back and forth two or three more times before the intake valve opens again.

Intake Tube Pulses

The resonator in your intake is technically known as a Helmholz resonator, an acoustic device used to control pressure wave harmonics. Air bouncing back out of your engine and into the intake tube doesn't do it in a single pulse the way it would in a single intake runner; the multiple pistons put out pressure waves at their own intervals, and some of those are going to try to bounce back in while others are going out. The result is a "clog" or high pressure area in your intake tube that ultimately limits airflow through almost the entire rpm spectrum.

The Resonator

Adding an expansion chamber to the intake tube forces air coming back out of the engine to slow down to fill the cavity, thus expending a great deal of its energy and slowing the pressure wave reversion. This slowdown allows fresh air to flow toward the engine without fighting pressure reversion waves the entire way, thus aiding in cylinder filling. Since these pressure waves are essentially sound, giving them a place to expend their energy before exiting the air filter box ends up dampening the intake noise and quieting the engine. Thus, the resonator helps to make the engine paradoxically quieter and more powerful.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Great explanation on the video, it makes total sense.

Looks like playing cards in the track or better yet a smashed soda can jammed up against the cooler would sound pretty rad🤘🏼

Premium Features