• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

3" track on 2010 m8 questions...

C
Mar 4, 2011
I'm upgrading my track from the stock 2.25 to either a 2.6 from a 2013 or a 3" challenger extreme. Will the 3" track fit? What mods if not? Cons to a 3"? Gearing? Running a BD pg turbo. Any help greatly apritiated.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Catscanfly, I was wondering the same thing. I haven't ridden mine yet with the 2.6" Powerclaw but, I will say it was a tight fit getting the track back on the driveshaft with the driveshaft merely loosened up and hanging there. I guess if the track doesn't hit the tunnel when its spinning you will be alright.

However, I do have to wonder if at some point the volume of snow being shoved between the tunnel and the track above and forward of the drive shaft. As the drivers rotate and compress this snow, could this choke point pose a clogging/clearance issue with such large tracks? I am thinking this is where a nice mild track porting job may help remedy such a problem by giving that snow and air being compressed in this small area another place to go.

Last edited:
C
Mar 4, 2011
@Frostbite

I'd like to go with the three inch if I can. I've heard cutting the lower 3 fins on the heat exchanger makes this possible. I've also heard I'm going to run into clearance problems with the diamond drive. Keeping the stock drivers would be a bonus as I wouldn't have to immediately change the gearing in it. It would be nice to run what I have for a bit and make adjustments as needed. I'd like to stay away from porting.
Thanks for your input.

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
The 3" will fit with some cutting to the track. If you get the 16 wide you will have to cut it down to 15 wide, notch the outer lugs on the top outside corners to clear the cooler lines, cut the lugs off the inside and trim the clips on the dd side to clear. There's the new 15 wide out now too but I think the 16 wide cut down would work better. You won't need to notch the cooler at all. It's tight but I've never had any issues with rubbing or snow clearing. The 3" is very well worth it

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
Why do you say you think the 16" wide cut down will work better than the factory 15" wide? Are they a different design?

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
The 16" wide can be cut to 15 1/4". There is actually not much paddle gets cut off. The new 15" wide is only 14" wide paddle to paddle.

image.jpg

Bozarth

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 15, 2008
Eureka MT
The reason for trimming the bottom three fins off of the cooler is for clearence. Yes it will fit with no modifications, but it is very tight. The more clearence you have the better. I also had an 1/8" machined off of my driver's for a little extra clearence. I could have went to the seven tooth driver's, but I wanted to keep the drivers as big as possible. Just my opinion!

Premium Features