• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

23 to 24 million more acres of wilderness proposed in five western states

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
M
Dec 21, 2007
Washington
Won't this bill do the opposite of trying to "rebuild" our economy? 2300 jobs created but how many small business owners of shops/gas stations/restaurants/hotels, etc will lose the businesses they worked so hard to create and keep running all these years? So fvck small business and yeah to more gov't spending which we don't need? I don't get how far someone can shove their head up their own azz. Yeah like the hippies don't already have 95% of the land to cross-country ski already. Shouldn't they ban cross-country skiing and resort skiing too then since it takes gas to get those subaru's up to the mountains? I mean talk about hipocrites... spending $$$ to get rid of logging roads? just let them sit as is. Not like it's hurting the environment at all. Taking those roads down with machines will produce more pollution than all the sleds going into those areas for years combined. I love how people who have never been or will never go to these areas are the ones making the decisions without knowing all the real facts and just doing what THEY think is good for the rest of us. Thanks but I had parents growing up and they taught me well. Don't need the gov't trying to tell me what to do when they have no clue. :mad:

Actually this legislation specifically targets Ski Resorts as a problem to be fixed.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I have read the SAWS alert and I have read this entire legislation. It does NOT state anywhere any restrictions for snowmobiles. It is very clear about logging, oil production and mineral extraction and the restoration work.

It doesn't have to, there is already a blanket policy that bans motorized use on any land designated wilderness or wilderness study area.

It's already been done so they don't include that in the current language.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Actually this legislation specifically targets Ski Resorts as a problem to be fixed.

I need to get more info on this subject obviously. I feel they want to take everything from us in the mtns so we can all get fat and lazy like rest of the country... That $$$ needs to go into rebuilding our country's infrastructure before anything. Over 1/2 of the bridges in the country need to be fixed but I guess that is somehow not important? Rebuilding what needs to be rebuilt will also create WAY more than the 2300 jobs they are proposing in this bill.

V
Jan 3, 2008
Eastern Wshington
Mtbarr,

Wilderness areas are completely non mechanized/motorized. Only foot traffic and animal traffic are allowed.

I believe that here in Wa over 60% of land over 5000' in elevation has been designated as "wilderness". When is enough enough? Do the needs of the future generations outweigh the needs of the current?

The Forest Service is working under a congressional mandate to manage OUR land for "multiple use". Wilderness areas definitely do not meet this mandate. We as mountain snowmobilers (law abiding, tax paying public land users) are quickly losing the right of use in these public lands (NF) due to riding area loss through new "wilderness area" designations.

M
Dec 21, 2007
Washington
Mtbarr,

Wilderness areas are completely non mechanized/motorized. Only foot traffic and animal traffic are allowed.

I believe that here in Wa over 60% of land over 5000' in elevation has been designated as "wilderness". When is enough enough? Do the needs of the future generations outweigh the needs of the current?

The Forest Service is working under a congressional mandate to manage OUR land for "multiple use". Wilderness areas definitely do not meet this mandate. We as mountain snowmobilers (law abiding, tax paying public land users) are quickly losing the right of use in these public lands (NF) due to riding area loss through new "wilderness area" designations.

Thanks for the information.

So all motorized vehicles were blanketed into one catch all with no exception. Hmmm.

This even though hikers walking over plants and horse hoofs tearing up the ground kill more plants than us riding on a protective layer of snow!

So what are the chances of fighting the blanket definition of "motorized" vehicles as applied to sleds, because changing that might open others back up.

This takes a one line change.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Are you the same cat from oregon that couldn't understand why orv users were upset about land closures earlier last year?? I remember having a conversation with someone from Oregon about this subject who didn't under stand the seriousness of this matter. Any way,, if it was you haven't you researched this situation? SELFISH people are making decisions for the rest of us, and do not care about the out come. Talk about your lack of insight,,, With lost revenue from sales tax reductions, the blood sucking left lives on because MOST of them do not know what it means to put in a days work because it's easier to whine for it. What is going to happen is, WE THE REAL PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA will be taxed to death so the selfish hypocrtical few can enjoy a locked up land that will never be what they MYSTICALLY believe it should be. When most of them live in fiction world of FLYING PONIES and the like and only know how to spend other peoples money, especially on administration instead of it's intended use you have what we have in this country today. People with jobs of NO MEANING, just another way to waste tax dollars. MOST of THEM are with out a doubt over paid idiots.

I have read the SAWS alert and I have read this entire legislation. It does NOT state anywhere any restrictions for snowmobiles. It is very clear about logging, oil production and mineral extraction and the restoration work.

I have email'd AWR and Representaive Maloney's office directly asking this specific question about whether or not this legislation will curtail or stop snowmobiling access to these areas.

I am seriously asking for it to be explained, how does this designation as "wildnerness", place these lands of limits for sledding usage?

Please seriously explain exactly how this process has worked in the past. I want to know the process and details. I can't fight a battle I don't fully understand.

I have lived in the strip-mined coal regions of Pennsylvania, so I completely understand the need for control over the literal raping of the environment in the name of energy and minerals, so I cannot lock-step reject legislation that may be beneficial to this cause.

I will however fight for snowmobiling access too because it does NOT harm the wilderness.

I believe there is a balance that must be struck and I will fight for that.

No form of mechanized transport is allowed in a designated wilderness. Go read the wilderness Act of 1964. I provided a link in my alert. So they do not need to mention that snowmobiles will be banned from these new wilderness areas - that is the law.

I didn't think there was a sole left on this forum, or snowmobilers in general, that did not know that snowmobiles were not allowed in a designated wilderness. Guess I was wrong. :confused:

Last edited:

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
No form of mechanized transport is allowed in a designated wilderness. Go read the wilderness Act of 1964. I provided a link in my alert. So they do not need to mention that snowmobiles will be banned from these new wilderness areas - that is the law.
Guess I was wrong. :confused:

That is exactly the problem, people don't know what's involved in "wilderness designation." I have talked to several people who have no idea, they think that is the same as more national forests.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
In the beginning of the wilderness act most of the forest service people that enforced the wilderness knew that snowmobiles didn't do any damage, there is actually lots of reports that show by compacting the snow the runoff is slowed and there is less erosion, because of that in many areas it was really not enforced. Over the years that has changed and at least in Wyo all wilderness areas are strictly enforced. The new secretary of the Interior is very liberal, is very against multiple use. I fear that the next few years are going to make Clinton look like a retired Jackson Hole hillclimber, and he took away more land than anyone in the last 40 years.
Well what do you expect its presidents day weekend and I am home when I should be gonehuntnpowder.

B

BackCountryBob

Aug 7, 2001
Arvada, Colorado
Wilderness is no motorized or wheeled vehicles, period. I'm not sure the mountain bikers understand that their days are numbered also. Think of all the newely unemployed NF personel getting unemployment checks.

BCB

P
Jan 8, 2008
aK
Another letter e mailed to Don Young. Why does it seem that whenever these land grabs come about they are chaired by a delegate from the east coast? Where have State Rights gone?

NREPA now has a bill number (HR980) and already has 50 sponsors in just a couple days since it was introduced.

Any of these folks your representative?

Rep Ackerman, Gary L. [NY-5] - 2/11/2009
Rep Baca, Joe [CA-43] - 2/11/2009
Rep Bean, Melissa L. [IL-8] - 2/13/2009
Rep Berman, Howard L. [CA-28] - 2/11/2009
Rep Bordallo, Madeleine Z. [GU] - 2/11/2009
Rep Brown, Corrine [FL-3] - 2/11/2009
Rep Capps, Lois [CA-23] - 2/11/2009
Rep Carnahan, Russ [MO-3] - 2/11/2009
Rep Carson, Andre [IN-7] - 2/11/2009
Rep Chandler, Ben [KY-6] - 2/11/2009
Rep Christensen, Donna M. [VI] - 2/11/2009
Rep Cleaver, Emanuel [MO-5] - 2/11/2009
Rep Conyers, John, Jr. [MI-14] - 2/12/2009
Rep Costa, Jim [CA-20] - 2/11/2009
Rep Cummings, Elijah E. [MD-7] - 2/11/2009
Rep DeLauro, Rosa L. [CT-3] - 2/11/2009
Rep Gonzalez, Charles A. [TX-20] - 2/12/2009
Rep Grijalva, Raul M. [AZ-7] - 2/11/2009
Rep Gutierrez, Luis V. [IL-4] - 2/11/2009
Rep Hinchey, Maurice D. [NY-22] - 2/11/2009
Rep Hinojosa, Ruben [TX-15] - 2/13/2009
Rep Hirono, Mazie K. [HI-2] - 2/11/2009
Rep Inslee, Jay [WA-1] - 2/11/2009
Rep Jones, Walter B., Jr. [NC-3] - 2/11/2009
Rep Kucinich, Dennis J. [OH-10] - 2/11/2009
Rep Lance, Leonard [NJ-7] - 2/11/2009
Rep Langevin, James R. [RI-2] - 2/11/2009
Rep Lee, Barbara [CA-9] - 2/11/2009
Rep Lowey, Nita M. [NY-18] - 2/11/2009
Rep Lynch, Stephen F. [MA-9] - 2/12/2009
Rep Markey, Edward J. [MA-7] - 2/11/2009
Rep McCollum, Betty [MN-4] - 2/11/2009
Rep Meeks, Gregory W. [NY-6] - 2/11/2009
Rep Miller, George [CA-7] - 2/11/2009
Rep Moore, Dennis [KS-3] - 2/11/2009
Rep Moran, James P. [VA-8] - 2/12/2009
Rep Nadler, Jerrold [NY-8] - 2/11/2009
Rep Napolitano, Grace F. [CA-38] - 2/11/2009
Rep Payne, Donald M. [NJ-10] - 2/12/2009
Rep Rahall, Nick J., II [WV-3] - 2/11/2009
Rep Schiff, Adam B. [CA-29] - 2/12/2009
Rep Schwartz, Allyson Y. [PA-13] - 2/11/2009
Rep Scott, David [GA-13] - 2/11/2009
Rep Serrano, Jose E. [NY-16] - 2/11/2009
Rep Sestak, Joe [PA-7] - 2/13/2009
Rep Shea-Porter, Carol [NH-1] - 2/12/2009
Rep Sherman, Brad [CA-27] - 2/11/2009
Rep Stark, Fortney Pete [CA-13] - 2/11/2009
Rep Waters, Maxine [CA-35] - 2/11/2009
Rep Waxman, Henry A. [CA-30] - 2/11/2009

Z

Zachcreek

Oct 18, 2008
Buena Vista Colorado
Wilderness is no motorized or wheeled vehicles, period. I'm not sure the mountain bikers understand that their days are numbered also. Think of all the newely unemployed NF personel getting unemployment checks.

BCB

Yep, trails are being shut down to Mtn Bikers Also. Same as the ATV and Dirt bikes. Go off trail with any of these and someone will scream loud enough to get them shut down. BTW, wilderness also prohibits hand gliders. Search and rescue groups cannot land helicopters without permission from someone higher up. Life and death, doesn't matter. We have done it, but the sheriff had to make a bunch of calls while we got ready to package and walk or carry them out . (Most of them probably would have died.)

I attached a map of current wilderness designations in Colorado. If you get caught here, you will lose your sled to the fed for evidence, fine etc.

colomap.jpg

P
Nov 26, 2007
Thats great, we can still ride butt, no logging, mining or oil and gas. Most of the west will go out of work, just a few ranchers and tourist wathing wolves left anyway.

P
Nov 26, 2007
Even the act of nominating an area to become wilderness makes it a defacto wilderness until congress votes on it It is called "wilderness study area". The trick is that no congress ever wants to vote"against wilderness" so they never vote on the area and it stays "wilderness study area" forever

in 2002 there was a bill in congress that if an area was nominated wilderness but not voted on for 10 years it went off the "wilderness study area" list. this did not pass.

There are many like that. There is a Wilderness study area like that here in wyoming and many all over. The "fortification creek wilderness study area" was nominated in in the mid 1980's it is completely land locked by private land, there is no way possible for the public to access the area. In 1987 the BLM itself recommended to congress that the area not be made wilderness because it did not meet the criterea. Yet to this day it is still designeated "wilderness study area" because congress never voted on it up or down.

Z

Zachcreek

Oct 18, 2008
Buena Vista Colorado
I need to get more info on this subject obviously. I feel they want to take everything from us in the mtns so we can all get fat and lazy like rest of the country... That $$$ needs to go into rebuilding our country's infrastructure before anything. Over 1/2 of the bridges in the country need to be fixed but I guess that is somehow not important? Rebuilding what needs to be rebuilt will also create WAY more than the 2300 jobs they are proposing in this bill.

Actually if you join them, you will be on a diet of tofu and some seaweed crap. ( Cough, Cough, I think I'm sick, pass the Tofu.) You will lose weight and, save the environment from logging, mining and drilling, while living in your stick built house and driving your Subaru. (10 years old that smokes like a chimney) But wait, you get to put stickers on it, like "trees are the answer". WTF is the question?

Re-build America, you hit the nail on the head. 3rd world countries are ahead of us on this. Wireless and fiber-optic networks, R&Bridge. We have not kept up with our housekeeping.

Premium Features