• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2024 catalyst

S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
I was getting tired of seeing the 2023 reveal post.

I think it’s really important to note the level Cat is going with this sled. I for one am pumped to find out more about the chassis get the panels off to see what’s going on under there.
I know there some that are in the know on here and I wish we could all pick your brains a bit lol.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
The yamaha phazer 500 4 stroke could be a good fit for the new chassis to compete with the ski doo ace 4 strokes. There a lot of rental companies that like the skidoo 4 stroke for its fuel economy and longevity. The skidoo ace 900 is 90hp and the 600 is 60hp so the phazer 80hp would fit right in. also would be great touring sled for those who don't desire a ton of hp but want reliability and economy. I dont know if the phazer 500 is still being made at all but i would think the tooling and the technology is still around.

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
not intending to bash people here, but i feel like i need some clarity on just what people assume a new chassis to be. like how do we define that?
i've read a lot of comments here, and on social media, criticizing cat for an "an outdated chassis" up to this point.
i'm interested to know just what that means to everyone... like in comparison to what? or what are you expecting out of a new chassis? what are your complaints about the current chassis? where does it lag behind doo and polaris?

for doo and polaris, has there really been any huge advancements in chassis design? or just a bunch of "refinements", and more powerful engines?

i don't ride an alpha, but i'd really like to. i've ridden a g4 doo and the latest turbo polaris... they're both great, but not perfect. not worth selling my old sled and rushing out to spend $20-$30k, that's for sure.
from what i've heard, all 3 sleds (turbos aside) trade punches on any given day, with cat being the most nimble of the 3... so where's the shortfall exactly?
if i got buy an alpha, what am i giving up in comparison to a g4 or whatever polaris is calling their comparable sled these days?

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
not intending to bash people here, but i feel like i need some clarity on just what people assume a new chassis to be. like how do we define that?
i've read a lot of comments here, and on social media, criticizing cat for an "an outdated chassis" up to this point.
i'm interested to know just what that means to everyone... like in comparison to what? or what are you expecting out of a new chassis? what are your complaints about the current chassis? where does it lag behind doo and polaris?

for doo and polaris, has there really been any huge advancements in chassis design? or just a bunch of "refinements", and more powerful engines?

i don't ride an alpha, but i'd really like to. i've ridden a g4 doo and the latest turbo polaris... they're both great, but not perfect. not worth selling my old sled and rushing out to spend $20-$30k, that's for sure.
from what i've heard, all 3 sleds (turbos aside) trade punches on any given day, with cat being the most nimble of the 3... so where's the shortfall exactly?
if i got buy an alpha, what am i giving up in comparison to a g4 or whatever polaris is calling their comparable sled these days?

I don't know where u get the cat is the most nimble of the 3 I rode a 2020 alpha compared to 2021 axys both 165 both stock. The cat rides wider and heavier. They need to narrow up the body panels and loose some weight. Hopefully this new chassis accomplishes both for the cat faithful.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
I don't know where u get the cat is the most nimble of the 3 I rode a 2020 alpha compared to 2021 axys both 165 both stock. The cat rides wider and heavier. They need to narrow up the body panels and loose some weight. Hopefully this new chassis accomplishes both for the cat faithful.
The current ascender platform is still the most forgiving platform out there IMO. It may be heavier physically but doesn't feel that much heavier. It's might not be as nimble, but it's definitely less twitchy that a poo.

I can't ride a Gen4 to save my life. It's steering is goofy and panels/track are boxy and i feel like you riding on a bubble. Hopefully the g5 makes that fat feel a thing of the past.

I am optimistic to see some new tech on the 24 cat. It's hard not to get bored of cats 11 year platform. Happy to see some change honestly.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i ride a 18 mtn cat and havent owned poo or doo I would fall in the category of a "cat guy" In my opinion for some reason poo or doo can do something and its huge its gigantic it revolutionizes the sport, and cat can do or has already done that and its nothing. I think its the marketing group at cat not hyping there product. I've ridden 850 doo's and axys polaris and find no reason to trade brands. the axys is lightyears ahead of a pro but an 18 or newer cat does everything an axys can do and climbs better. I dont understand the fascination with the doos ive ridden 3 and they feel like 600's and ride weird, and my buddies who all ride polaris agreed so im not trying to bash thats just what our whole group thought. I think all three brands make incremental changes and at some point those changes make an old chassis unrecognizable to the point you could call it a new chassis. looks like the new cat is a clean sheet new design though maybe some carried over suspension but in my mind the bulkhead in tunnel is the chassis. I dont believe the ascender chassis was behind in functionality other than no stock turbo 2s. But they needed to change the whole thing to make any more real advancements in weight loss. I was dissapointed with the 600 only part of the deal but i am still excited about the rest of it, looks sweet and I hope cat sells a bunch of them.

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
interesting to hear you say that. the consensus on nearly everything i've read is that the cat initiates faster, and turns on a dime. just think about a direction change, and it goes there.
most notably, i remember reading about a guy coming off a snowbike and trying all 3 sleds. he summed it up as saying that the alpha cat was the nearest thing to riding the bike.

i sure do wish i could get my hands on one for a test ride.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I ride a mixed group of cat and poo so have rode both a bit and I feel like the cat is easier to toss from side. I like to describe it as the cat feels like your on a ball, it’s just a smooth transition from one side to the other and the Polaris feels like your on a block. It feels more planted when flat, and takes more effort to go from flat to on edge than the cat. Like your overcoming the corners of the block to get on edge. Once on edge I think they’re both comparable.

S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
i ride a 18 mtn cat and havent owned poo or doo I would fall in the category of a "cat guy" In my opinion for some reason poo or doo can do something and its huge its gigantic it revolutionizes the sport, and cat can do or has already done that and its nothing. I think its the marketing group at cat not hyping there product. I've ridden 850 doo's and axys polaris and find no reason to trade brands. the axys is lightyears ahead of a pro but an 18 or newer cat does everything an axys can do and climbs better. I dont understand the fascination with the doos ive ridden 3 and they feel like 600's and ride weird, and my buddies who all ride polaris agreed so im not trying to bash thats just what our whole group thought. I think all three brands make incremental changes and at some point those changes make an old chassis unrecognizable to the point you could call it a new chassis. looks like the new cat is a clean sheet new design though maybe some carried over suspension but in my mind the bulkhead in tunnel is the chassis. I dont believe the ascender chassis was behind in functionality other than no stock turbo 2s. But they needed to change the whole thing to make any more real advancements in weight loss. I was dissapointed with the 600 only part of the deal but i am still excited about the rest of it, looks sweet and I hope cat sells a bunch of them.
You are 100% right.
The doo and poo faithful will argue till they are blue in the face and tell you the pro isn’t an axys and the matrix isn’t an axys.
Same with doo with the xp xm and gen 4
Cat did the same with the proclimb just had 2 plastic changes instead of 3. But ride a proclimb and an acsender back to back and you’ll see they are entirely completely different feeling.
Take doo for exemple with the t-motion it was the greatest thing on snow and no one had ridden it. Now take alpha. Truly revolutionary and yet it was junk even before it made it to the snow.
Cat for whatever reason can’t catch a break.
It’s the only chassis you don’t need to get plates to strengthen it. It’s the only chassis ( prior to matrix) to have short heat exchangers

Really matrix is an axys with cat tech in it.
But don’t say that to a poo cool aid drinker.

I really hope the catalyst changes this for cat and gets them the recognition they deserve.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
You are 100% right.
The doo and poo faithful will argue till they are blue in the face and tell you the pro isn’t an axys and the matrix isn’t an axys.
Same with doo with the xp xm and gen 4
Cat did the same with the proclimb just had 2 plastic changes instead of 3. But ride a proclimb and an acsender back to back and you’ll see they are entirely completely different feeling.
Take doo for exemple with the t-motion it was the greatest thing on snow and no one had ridden it. Now take alpha. Truly revolutionary and yet it was junk even before it made it to the snow.
Cat for whatever reason can’t catch a break.
It’s the only chassis you don’t need to get plates to strengthen it. It’s the only chassis ( prior to matrix) to have short heat exchangers

Really matrix is an axys with cat tech in it.
But don’t say that to a poo cool aid drinker.

I really hope the catalyst changes this for cat and gets them the recognition they deserve.
Don't remember thinking t motion was the best thing since milk. It served a purpose but has drawbacks. The alpha rail is the same. You have to decide what means more. I wouldn't call it revolutionary but it is stellar in deep snow. Some of that is the track.
Seems like no question on gen 4 being a new chassis. Basically new everything unless it's because they used the same bars.
Axys and pro are waaay different.
Matryx is kinda of a way better repackaged axys.
As far as a matryx having cat tech? What would that be? Awesome boards, easy steering, lifted spindles, short snow flap, belt drive? Cat did have short heat exchanger. Cat tunnel was shorter but not in the same league as matryx slash. The brake?
My only problem is cat is always late to the party but i would like to try one but 600 is a no go for me.
If you like cat, ride it. Who cares who thinks its this or that.
Verns post is pretty close.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
its supposed to be light, what are guesses on the dry weight of the 600? I'm optimistic and going to say 415lbs. thats optimistic but not game changing compared to whats been done.

S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
Don't remember thinking t motion was the best thing since milk. It served a purpose but has drawbacks. The alpha rail is the same. You have to decide what means more. I wouldn't call it revolutionary but it is stellar in deep snow. Some of that is the track.
Seems like no question on gen 4 being a new chassis. Basically new everything unless it's because they used the same bars.
Axys and pro are waaay different.
Matryx is kinda of a way better repackaged axys.
As far as a matryx having cat tech? What would that be? Awesome boards, easy steering, lifted spindles, short snow flap, belt drive? Cat did have short heat exchanger. Cat tunnel was shorter but not in the same league as matryx slash. The brake?
My only problem is cat is always late to the party but i would like to try one but 600 is a no go for me.
If you like cat, ride it. Who cares who thinks its this or that.
Verns post is pretty close.
The tappered tunnel? Narrow gas tank to match. The bearing in the clutch
The short tunnel thay yes they took to an other level but cat started it.
The short heat exchanger
The “mountain specific panels”
Might be forgetting a couple
Point being is everything the axys didn’t have that cat did now the matrix has.
You can say all you want that they aren’t the same but I bet you put all 3 chassis side by side with the panels off “naked” and you’d be hard pressed to know what one was what.
The gen 4 had a few more changes for sure.

All in all my point being is that cats ascender chassis didn’t get true credit it deserved
And cat never does.
Lay down engine since the fire cat days is genius getting that engine closer to the bull head.
The wise Aarms spreading the load on the chassis. The chassis that didn’t need any kind of filler pieces to make it reliable.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Cats gas tank isn't that narrow. Doos was since gen 4.
Mountain specific panels?
Nothing wrong with acsender chassis except a few little things like running boards heavy steering and unfinished abortion in front of steering column. Air intake woes on my 19. Taller spindles. Hate their ski loops.
They are still late to the party. 2 more years to come out with what everyone has already had for 2 or 3 years. That doesn't mean they suck or sled isn’t good. Just seems a step behind to me.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Bulkhead and tunnel change usually have been ground up new sleds for manufactures. Cat is finally doing that for the first time since 2012 (I had a 2012, 2014, 2019 cat). Yes they made great changes over the years that led to the bigger 2018 overhaul with new plastics/power plant then 2019 alpha. When comparing to the other manufacturers Polaris and Doo change over a lot more frequent with ground up new chassis and overhauls of continuing chassis. One manufacturer does not drive innovation all three are bringing ideas to the party and all three try and make the others ideas better. I hope cats new sled is sub 400lbs and gets a new innovative power plant (I’ve heard aluminum block in the past, light weight 900??). If cat sets a light weight number both manufactures will have to think big to chase that number. Polaris has gained weight consistently since the 408lbs Axys and doos 30lbs out with their newest Gen5.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
dont forget the "we have something better than standard extrovert drivers and anti-stabs" from polaris for years until they put a real track on it... now it's "what has cat been doing there?"

S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
I know i know those are RMK’s
But i wanted to post these to show just how similar the pro-ride and axys really are 2011-2021. 10 years on a chassis. And I can’t find a “naked” picture of a matryx we can agree the matryx is the most different with new tunnel and running boards. But my point being for the throller.
They’ve all done the 10 year stretch of a chassis.
If you really look at it. Cat is the only one that did a rear suspension total change in that time.
Witch one of these pictures is the axys?

205D5EAB-CC6E-4C03-B56E-A79F26740639.jpeg B03B52DA-C67D-4A4B-B58D-8CBE11B66A68.jpeg

Premium Features