• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2023 Ski-Doo Summit SP

H
Jun 22, 2008
Willow, AK
I am strongly considering snow checking a 850 154 SP with shot starter, This will be my first sled in 10 years. I recently went on a work trip where we rented a bunch of newer summits and rode for a day and it really gave me the bug again. I have been primarily skiing for the last 10 years and want to use this for sled skiing and just exploring the mountains in North Idaho.

I don't have as much time to wrench on stuff as I did when I was younger and used sled prices are insane so I figured I would just bite the bullet and snowcheck one of these for next season. I'm pretty set on the SP with a Gen4 1+1 seat so I can carry my wife up some hills for skiing. I have looked at the X's as well but honestly I like the looks of the SP much better, I don't know but I feel like skidoos should be yelllow :). Am I missing out on much with the SP? It looks like the running boards on the X's have an extra brace at the back and have better shocks. Does anyone know if the KYB shocks are un-serviceable on the SP? According to google that has been the case in years past. Also will I be hating the running boards on the SP? the last era of sleds that I rode ie early 2000's didn't have very good running boards so this will be much better in comparison I think to anything I used in the past.

The plan would be to just ride it stock for the first year and get a feel for riding again and then maybe upgrade it if I feel like its really lacking in any areas.

T

Thielio20

Oct 6, 2018
Interior, AK
I am strongly considering snow checking a 850 154 SP with shot starter, This will be my first sled in 10 years. I recently went on a work trip where we rented a bunch of newer summits and rode for a day and it really gave me the bug again. I have been primarily skiing for the last 10 years and want to use this for sled skiing and just exploring the mountains in North Idaho.

I don't have as much time to wrench on stuff as I did when I was younger and used sled prices are insane so I figured I would just bite the bullet and snowcheck one of these for next season. I'm pretty set on the SP with a Gen4 1+1 seat so I can carry my wife up some hills for skiing. I have looked at the X's as well but honestly I like the looks of the SP much better, I don't know but I feel like skidoos should be yelllow :). Am I missing out on much with the SP? It looks like the running boards on the X's have an extra brace at the back and have better shocks. Does anyone know if the KYB shocks are un-serviceable on the SP? According to google that has been the case in years past. Also will I be hating the running boards on the SP? the last era of sleds that I rode ie early 2000's didn't have very good running boards so this will be much better in comparison I think to anything I used in the past.

The plan would be to just ride it stock for the first year and get a feel for riding again and then maybe upgrade it if I feel like its really lacking in any areas.
I think the gen5 SP would be a great sled to start on. The shocks typically(historically) are not serviceable on the SP, however you can buy stiffer springs if you plan to regularly 2-up and find the sled bottoming out too often. I don't think you'll find any issues with the running boards either as long as you aren't planning to jump with 2 people on board. I don't know if the Linq ski bracket would be compatible with the new 2-up seat but I'm sure a dealer could answer that question for you.

I would however recommend considering a 165" if you'll be 2-upping often and riding in deep snow. It'll give you better floatation and feel more stable overall, giving you the ability to go a bit slower in deep snow without trenching. Also easier to climb with.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I think that the SP has a niche. Someone who isn't looking to advance as a mountain rider much but needs something that will go through the snow. Or is looking to start. But if you look at prices, you can get a MUCH better sled for a couple thousand more. I may be off a little, but when I priced sleds for Tater, a 146SP was only a couple thousand less than a 146Freeride. And you get SO much more with the FR. This year Tater has a 146 SP, we took his stock shocks off at 500 miles, put Expert shocks on all around. HUGE difference. The SP shocks worked well, but didn't have the potential of the Expert shocks. (They worked well in the 1 footers, bottomed after that.) He was doing some jumps on the lake today, when he came back, me: That looked painful. Him: That felt amazing! 40-50 foot flat landers. Horizontal, not vertical.

Premium Features