• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 - 2021 Black Hills Snow Conditions

Dec 17, 2013
Appreciate the updates cop. Hoping to do some off trail yet this year, but after going 3 years in a row with too little snow and totaling a brand new sled and wrecking the others I will wait until there is a good 3-4 ft off trail. Just too much stuff to hit out there.

Appreciate the updates!
Last season was epic. We were out twice. They had a late February storm that we hit perfect. Arrived 2/27/2020 and could literally go anywhere without concern for land mines. Talked to several locals that said it was the best season they’ve had in 10yrs!!! That said, yes, I do agree The Hills can be dicey.

L
Nov 8, 2020
What's the final verdict for off trail riding? We have a cabin booked at trail's head Lodge for the 14th - 19th. Just was wondering if it was worth swapping my paddle track in or leaving my trail track in.

longvalley

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2014
from an outsider looking in I would save your effort and your sled. cant wait for more snow to head up from Nebraska. last year was epic no doubt!!!

skivoice

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2012
Aberdeen, SD
We are heading out wed. Night riding dumot area with the kids on thursday, cement ridge on Friday with the adults. will let you know what we find and try post some picks or video.

R
Dec 11, 2019
Saturday about 5 miles south of trailshead
640812db3139cd94cb21162273b066e4.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Snocop how is the trail coming out of Deadwood. Thank You Rick
I rode down to the Kirk trailhead, junction trail 5 and 7 Saturday night. The portion of the trail on the rail bed was in good shape. The portion of trail 7 between 5C and 7A had some thin spots and bumped some rocks. The first mile of 7A was thin rocky and rough. The rest was ok.

Dec 17, 2013
Been talking with a guy out there as we speak (staying at Spearfish Canyon Lodge). Trails are FANTASTIC (his words, not mine). Further East / South you go they are not good. Lots of rocks, etc. over by Mystic Hills Hideaway (up trail 7). 2k south gets worse the further you go. Best riding appears to be north of Trailshead towards Spearfish. We typically stay at MH Hideaway, but with their trail being so rough, we decided to book with Rec Springs. Arriving next Thursday 2/18, we got their last cabin available. PRAY FOR MORE SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's just me and my kid, so if there are any "must see" areas or places to avoid that get tracked out, I would appreciate any advice. We have been to The Hills many, many times, but never really ridden trails north of Trailshead in all our trips. 2k is our favorite trail and we'll typically make it over to Buckhorn & Trailshead, just haven't been north of that area. Help please. Thanks!!!!

S
Feb 14, 2012
I'm in the same boat as 600_RMK_144. Headed down next Friday (2/18) with plans to ride Sat & Sun. It's my first time to the hills so any tips would be great. Staying in spearfish and figured we'd trailer up to spearfish canyon lodge and unload there unless there's there's a better place. I tried to get a room there but they were booked up with a wedding. Bringing my wife and 2 kidos (they both ride there own) so it'll be strictly a trail riding trip for us. Not real excited for 2 days of trails on my M but it is what it is, lol.

skivoice

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2012
Aberdeen, SD
Rode out of Dumont lot Today had 9 kids and 10 adults so didn't venture to far away I would agree with the comments about trail seven very thin especially on the south facing slopes. The few areas we did venture off trail was decent. The snow is very fine so about 20 sleds over the trail and it starts to break down. Probably the 3rd coldest day I've ridden out here and we have been riding out here for 30 yrs. As to places to go North, I highly recommend making cement ride off of Trail 3 a must stop at least once. Also it always seems that the more you avoid Trail 1 the better the trail conditions are. That seems to be rental sled highway. Going to ride out of SFC lot tomorrow so we will see how that is. have a few off trail go to's and we will see how they are. Not sure how long we will make it as the Proj. High -1 but the overnight is -15. Sat morning Proj Low -25 definently a late start or no ride period.We generally stay in Spearfish so that is a go to. Unless it is Blasted cold you need to be in that lot very early as it only holds about 15 trailers at best if the don't park like Idiots and there isn't a bunch of overnight trailers from the lodge if they are full.

Dec 17, 2013
I'm in the same boat as 600_RMK_144. Headed down next Friday (2/18) with plans to ride Sat & Sun. It's my first time to the hills so any tips would be great. Staying in spearfish and figured we'd trailer up to spearfish canyon lodge and unload there unless there's there's a better place. I tried to get a room there but they were booked up with a wedding. Bringing my wife and 2 kidos (they both ride there own) so it'll be strictly a trail riding trip for us. Not real excited for 2 days of trails on my M but it is what it is, lol.
Yep! I’ll be trail riding with my Pro 155”. My source is saying north of Trailshead Lodge (toward Spearfish Canyon Lodge) is the best snow currently. Can change in a week, but for now, the lodge would be a great place to unload. I called them too and yeah, wedding party.

longvalley

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2014
be sure and stop at roughlock falls on trail in/out of spearfish canyon lodge and cement ridge for sure if have never been there. stay warm. same temps here in Nebraska. let us know how snow conditions are. we are wanting to come up but waiting til snow is decent

jeffxc700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
SUX
Trails are open for 45 more days.. at this point you just gotta go and play the cards you are dealt,, talk about a short season.

S
Feb 14, 2012
Is there a better place to park than spearfish canyon lodge in that general area? I'll be pulling a 29ft enclosed trailer so I'll need some room!

skivoice

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2012
Aberdeen, SD
Best place to park that beast is trailshead. There is only 3 options SPC lodge, Big hill lot which is big enogh but way in the far North end, and Trailshead.

Dec 17, 2013
be sure and stop at roughlock falls on trail in/out of spearfish canyon lodge and cement ridge for sure if have never been there. stay warm. same temps here in Nebraska. let us know how snow conditions are. we are wanting to come up but waiting til snow is decent
Thanks! We will do that. Appreciate it!

Premium Features