• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 850 locked up tight

J
Feb 26, 2018
Locked up tight today. Only about 1200 miles on original untouched engine.

Probably the PTO bearing welded to the crank. Glad it still has warranty.

Anyone have recent experience with what to expect from Polaris in these Vid days?

I really want the upgraded bottom end with the proper bearing fixturing etc. Hoping for no argument for a long block.

How would they rebuild it properly with a welded PTO bearing? Green locktite is no solution for the 2019 **** design.

J
Feb 26, 2018
Dealer called today, said mag side crank bearing seized along with mag side piston.

PTO side piston scuffed.

Polaris approved new crank assembly and top end.

J
Feb 26, 2018
Down for two weeks now.

Dealer can't get pistons from Polaris. Been trying to get from other stocking dealers apparently, but no one wants to give them up.

PN 2208205

N
Oct 10, 2010
Jackson Wy
What is the center oil check valve?

I found this but still not sure what it is:
Next was with the application of silicone sealant to the crankcase halves during assembly, where too much sealant was being applied and some of this excess made its way into a check valve. To remedy this, they’ve improved the manufacturing and assembly process for crankcase sealant application and have added a new screened internal check valve to the center cavity to catch any excess sealant.

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA

Next was with the application of silicone sealant to the crankcase halves during assembly, where too much sealant was being applied and some of this excess made its way into a check valve. To remedy this, they’ve improved the manufacturing and assembly process for crankcase sealant application and have added a new screened internal check valve to the center cavity to catch any excess sealant.
It is to prevent crankcase sealant from plugging the oiler holes

J
Feb 26, 2018

2020 850 Patriot updates.jpg

N
Oct 10, 2010
Jackson Wy
Thanks for the image. Interesting, I see mention of a check valve has been added with a screen. Next question as I try to understand the oiling system...

Do I see in the picture above that there are 3 oil lines that feed oil to the bearings? Is that the oil that also supplies the pistons and cylinders.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Thanks Dan.

Picked up the sled yesterday. Will be out riding Saturday. Once warranty is done, you will be my go to.

I really hope it holds together with the original 2019 engine cases. I did get the updated center oil check valve, along with new bottom and top end.

I hate to say it, But I predicted what the future of this motor would be….. And like clock work it’s all unfolding exactly how I figured it would……. And how the cylinder finish, and the PTO-End design should allow.

Its strange to me, the 850 is such a great motor…. Much better in so many ways then all the 800 motors ever built 2008 thru till the end.

Yet the 850 is plagued with a few flaws that are so easy to fix, I posted the in December of the 2018

i pointed them out for all to see, and none of them were addressed in the following 3 years.

The changes Polaris made to get 40cc’s out the 850 motor in 2019 were absolutely brilliant to say the least.

Robbing crankshaft length out of the Mag end on moving it to the center of the crankshaft is so brilliant I cannot hardly explain it.

The Motor mounts are also brillant.

i say this next statement as simply a fact nothing more….. ( We do not need to reach for work Indy Specialty has plenty of work. )

Statement is - All production 850 motors should be removed from the chassis pulled down when they are New and the cylinder finish should be fixed, and the PTO-end of the crankshaft should be replaced with our New Custom Built 40mm PTO-End And Bearing upgrades.

if those steps are taken the 850 is as close to Bullet proof as any modern 850 built today.

I.E. - The 2022 Fuel pumps, and the 2022 Cooling system with the short tunnel is a whole other train wreck.

The 2023 Most likely will completely resigned cooling system ….. the short cooler is a engineering failure.

This spring riding season ( EVERY ) 2022 Polaris Mountain will over heat to level never seen before.

And if your not careful they will most likely VOID every warranty on very sled if Polaris wants to be a Dick about it.

Temps way past 200 degrees will common daily conversation….. and these big numbers will be a bad deal come warranty claim time.

Dan

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
I said the same thing about the cooling early on. But everyone shot me down saying how great it is. Time will tell.
The wait will be short….. Sun is getting hot and spring is coming.

going to be a lot of sad faces with smokin hot motors and putt8ng snow on the tunnel no longer works.

The wrath of Spring riding is coming ( I hope I am wrong ) i don’t see how they can stay cool even with scratchers

Dan

Last edited:
Premium Features