• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 SnoWest "ULTIMATE" Project Trailer #3,

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
How is it loading sleds into a trailer like that? Ive always wondered about the wheel wells.

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
All of my Mirage Trailers have had the internal Wheel Wells, and they have been an absolute NON ISSUE.

Anything to make the trailer LOWER for towing is good in my book

Especially when you are towing across a couple states. You are one of the lucky ones that just tow a few miles to get where you want to be.

Off the top of your head what's this thing weigh? Heavier, lighter than our other ones?

Why did you go back down to a 28 compared to the 30?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Especially when you are towing across a couple states. You are one of the lucky ones that just tow a few miles to get where you want to be.

Off the top of your head what's this thing weigh? Heavier, lighter than our other ones?

Why did you go back down to a 28 compared to the 30?

I drive pretty much exactly 3 hours to ride every saturday.
So ya, I am VERY lucky to be so close to world class riding.

Weight.
I have NOT had a chance to run it over a scale.
It "feels" a TAD bit heavier than my last trailer, and based on what Mirage told me about construction to handle the extra load of heavier vehicles, that makes real sense to me.

BUT..

I am REALLY at the point of needing a new truck now.
The haul back from Nampa to Idaho Falls was even less pleasant than last year. The truck is showing its age and making sounds that do NOT bode well for its long term longevity.

I am VERY much ready to step up to a Diesel now and be done with my V10.

That said I am not at all convinced it was any difference in the trailer, but might have just been my truck showing its ever increasing age at 11 years old now.

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
I drive pretty much exactly 3 hours to ride every saturday.
So ya, I am VERY lucky to be so close to world class riding.

Weight.
I have NOT had a chance to run it over a scale.
It "feels" a TAD bit heavier than my last trailer, and based on what Mirage told me about construction to handle the extra load of heavier vehicles, that makes real sense to me.

BUT..

I am REALLY at the point of needing a new truck now.
The haul back from Nampa to Idaho Falls was even less pleasant than last year. The truck is showing its age and making sounds that do NOT bode well for its long term longevity.

I am VERY much ready to step up to a Diesel now and be done with my V10.

That said I am not at all convinced it was any difference in the trailer, but might have just been my truck showing its ever increasing age at 11 years old now.

Better head on in to the Ford Dealer. Get that Platinum ordered! :face-icon-small-hap

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Which won't do you much good if you can't get to the mtn to ride. LOL

You could always find a clean used truck for half the money and run that for a couple years.

I hate buying other people's problems.
People just don't sell used GREAT TRUCKS that have NO issues.
When they are that great, they KEEP THEM!

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I hate buying other people's problems.
People just don't sell used GREAT TRUCKS that have NO issues.
When they are that great, they KEEP THEM!

I think you are a bit wrong in that. I know tons of people that buy new HD trucks every couple years because they need the write-offs for work. They all put typically less then 75k on them and every other year buy a new truck. They are not trading them in because of problems. I also know lots of people who always trade in before manufacture warranty is off no matter how the vehicle has performed. My uncle has never owned a truck past 36,000 miles. Trades or sells every single one when it hits 35,000. I think you might be surprised how many people don't keep trucks 10+ years.

Or you could do like me and the dealer I bought my truck from offers a lifetime power train warranty with any used vehicle under 90,000 miles and for an additional cost you can upgrade that to a full bumper to bumper with $100 detectable. So you could look around to see what is offered in your area like that. And for those that say this is a scam. I was with my brother when the truck he bought from the same dealer transmission went out while we were down south. Truck had 70k on when he bought it and 145,000 when the tranny went. We had it towed into the local dealer and they covered everything but the $100 detectable including the $700 tow bill.

Heck, my father for 15+ years while he was running for a large concrete company here in the cities would get a new truck every other year. They MAYBE got 30,000 miles on them but the company wanted the new trucks as an image while he was on on job sites. One of the trucks never even had a receiver hitch put in it while he owned it as he was not using for his personal use. Think about buying that truck used. A 2001 Chevy Duramax 2500 with 30,000 miles and never pulled or hauled anything more then a couple bags of supplies in the bed.

Another thought too. How much are you going to fix on a used truck compared to the 20 to 30 grand you save on buying it? That buys a lot of parts if you think about it.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox as it's your truck and your the only one paying for it. :face-icon-small-hap

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I think you are a bit wrong in that. I know tons of people that buy new HD trucks every couple years because they need the write-offs for work. They all put typically less then 75k on them and every other year buy a new truck. They are not trading them in because of problems. I also know lots of people who always trade in before manufacture warranty is off no matter how the vehicle has performed. My uncle has never owned a truck past 36,000 miles. Trades or sells every single one when it hits 35,000. I think you might be surprised how many people don't keep trucks 10+ years.

Or you could do like me and the dealer I bought my truck from offers a lifetime power train warranty with any used vehicle under 90,000 miles and for an additional cost you can upgrade that to a full bumper to bumper with $100 detectable. So you could look around to see what is offered in your area like that. And for those that say this is a scam. I was with my brother when the truck he bought from the same dealer transmission went out while we were down south. Truck had 70k on when he bought it and 145,000 when the tranny went. We had it towed into the local dealer and they covered everything but the $100 detectable including the $700 tow bill.

Heck, my father for 15+ years while he was running for a large concrete company here in the cities would get a new truck every other year. They MAYBE got 30,000 miles on them but the company wanted the new trucks as an image while he was on on job sites. One of the trucks never even had a receiver hitch put in it while he owned it as he was not using for his personal use. Think about buying that truck used. A 2001 Chevy Duramax 2500 with 30,000 miles and never pulled or hauled anything more then a couple bags of supplies in the bed.

Another thought too. How much are you going to fix on a used truck compared to the 20 to 30 grand you save on buying it? That buys a lot of parts if you think about it.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox as it's your truck and your the only one paying for it. :face-icon-small-hap

Hmm
Food for thought to be sure.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
But back to the topic at hand......How about those detailed inside pics? LOL

:deadhorse:

Also looking at the Mirage website it really only looks like about 400 to 500 lbs difference between the two trailers versions. So not a ton of weight difference but about the weight of one sled.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
But back to the topic at hand......How about those detailed inside pics? LOL

:deadhorse:

Also looking at the Mirage website it really only looks like about 400 to 500 lbs difference between the two trailers versions. So not a ton of weight difference but about the weight of one sled.

That sounds about right.
Its mostly the same trailer, just slightly beefed up for summer use.

Premium Features