• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 Summit intermittently not starting

W
Sep 23, 2020
Was out riding the other day, tried to start sled after it was parked for maybe 30min while we had lunch and nothing. I hear a 'click' coming from the right side, but that's it. Ended up pull starting it manually using a cord around the primary, let it run for 15min before trying to e-start again and worked fine, worked fine the rest of the day. Had a similar issue the next day where it wouldn't start, but after pull-starting it went fine and then started fine the rest of the day, even after sitting for periods of time.

The fact that it's so inconsistent is puzzling. If it was the battery, I'm assuming it would be fairly consistently an issue. Any thoughts??

laneends

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2016
Washington
Check battery connection, make sure everything is clean and tight. Check both ends of the negative lead. Check battery voltage both engine on and off.

Could be the solenoid starting to fail. (If it does happen again, and this is the issue, you can use something metal across the two posts on the solenoid instead of a rope on the clutch)

If it happens again listen carefully for the starter motor running, but not engaging. (If yes, the bending needs some lube. I've used a dab on my finger from the oil resivor.)

Since you hear a click its not likely the start button is the problem. Sounds like low voltage or failing solenoid.

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I'd be leaning towards the start relay but any of the high amperage leads could have a loose connection. I carry a jumper wire just for this purpose.

W
Sep 23, 2020
The starter gear is lubed up, I usually keep an eye on it. It doesn't sound like it even spins up (that's on the left side of the sled) but the 'click' I hear is on the right side (battery side)

I'll check the battery and all the leads

Premium Features