• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016-2017 Island Park / West Yellowstone SNOW REPORT

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Y'all have too much faith in these weather warnings. Keep in mind when there issuing these winter advisories, there covering an area from pretty near the Ut/Id border to Montana,Arco to the Wyoming border what is that, like 10K sq mi. ? That's a lot of real estate, I've been here three years and haven't seen a storm warning come to fruition yet. It's usually the 1-3" forecast that we get our big dumps, the 12" forecast... nah, not so much. It'll come but dont count on the NWS or Steve Cannon to know when

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Y'all have too much faith in these weather warnings. Keep in mind when there issuing these winter advisories, there covering an area from pretty near the Ut/Id border to Montana,Arco to the Wyoming border what is that, like 10K sq mi. ? That's a lot of real estate, I've been here three years and haven't seen a storm warning come to fruition yet. It's usually the 1-3" forecast that we get our big dumps, the 12" forecast... nah, not so much. It'll come but dont count on the NWS or Steve Cannon to know when

Agree 100%! It also seems like it makes a big difference if they come in from the SW or drop down from the NW. These systems hit the mountains and break apart and you dont know what your going to get! Take it when you can get it. Eric

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
SNOW WARNING!!!!!!

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE POCATELLO ID
358 AM MST WED DEC 14 2016

IDZ019-142200-
/O.CON.KPIH.WS.W.0008.161214T1800Z-161217T0000Z/
UPPER SNAKE HIGHLANDS-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ST. ANTHONY...ASHTON...ISLAND PARK...
DRIGGS...VICTOR
358 AM MST WED DEC 14 2016

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM THIS MORNING
TO 5 PM MST FRIDAY...

* IMPACTS...HEAVY SNOWFALL WILL ACCUMULATE ON ROADWAYS RESULTING
IN SLICK SURFACES AND REDUCED VISIBILITY.

* TIMING...STARTING LATE MORNING ON WEDNESDAY TROUGH FRIDAY
MORNING.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...LOWER ELEVATIONS WILL SEE RAIN ON THURSDAY AND WILL LIKELY SEE 4 TO 8 INCHES OF TOTAL SNOW.
24 TO 30 INCHES OF SNOW WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS TO AROUND 36 INCHES MAINLY ABOVE 5500 TO 6000 FEET.

* LOCATIONS...ST. ANTHONY...ASHTON...ISLAND PARK...
DRIGGS...VICTOR.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Y'all have too much faith in these weather warnings. Keep in mind when there issuing these winter advisories, there covering an area from pretty near the Ut/Id border to Montana,Arco to the Wyoming border what is that, like 10K sq mi. ? That's a lot of real estate, I've been here three years and haven't seen a storm warning come to fruition yet. It's usually the 1-3" forecast that we get our big dumps, the 12" forecast... nah, not so much. It'll come but don't count on the NWS or Steve Cannon to know when
I have to have faith, our cabin is rented, paid for, and no refund! :clock:

CATDIESELPOWER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
IDAHO

I've lived here 47 of my 50 years and I agree 100%

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT
Targhee and Jackson have been stealing all the snow. Let's move it up north a Lil bit.

I will say this one does look to be more north than the last couple.

PS.
Any riding behind the ghee

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Snow Report for 12/15, currently light snow with no wind around 25 degrees. Picked up a little under four inches last night...

IMG_0093.jpg

Thundy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bird Island, MN

This is exactly my experience with Island Park. Big hype with the storms just to
be disappointed in the end.

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT
Black canyon is over 60" at the moment. Latest storm dropped 3.5 in of water. I would say that's a pretty good dump and suppose to snow till Saturday morning.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Snow Report for 12/16... All is right with the world, I.P. got a decent dump, and is starting to look like it should. No snow all day yesterday, but it dumped about 12" last night. Currently under a blizzard warning, about 15 degrees with no snow falling at this time. Roads up here are a mess at this time, the hills are socked in. Should be a good but cold weekend for riding

IMG_0098.jpg

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Rode the black canyon area out of West Yellowstone friday saturday and sunday. Very cold, but really good snow for this early in the year. 4-5ft most places up there. The storm definitely started on the warmer side, which is good, not bottomless. Still plenty of landmines but it is only mid december. 1 more dump and it will really be good.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Rode the black canyon area out of West Yellowstone friday saturday and sunday. Very cold, but really good snow for this early in the year. 4-5ft most places up there. The storm definitely started on the warmer side, which is good, not bottomless. Still plenty of landmines but it is only mid december. 1 more dump and it will really be good.
Snow coming tomorrow

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Snow Report for 12/20 Currently around 18 degrees, calm winds and moderate to heavy snow falling. We're socked in up here
BTW for those wondering. you can usually take that gauge number and multiply that by 2.25 - 2.50 and it'll give you an idea of snow depths above 8K...

IMG_0106.jpg

Last edited:

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Snow Report for 12/20 Currently around 18 degrees, calm winds and moderate to heavy snow falling. We're socked in up here
BTW for those wondering. you can usually take that gauge number and multiply that by 2.25 - 2.50 and it'll give you an idea of snow depths above 8K...
That measuring stick looks like kind of a, um.. um.. never mind.

Premium Features