• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 800 pro compression

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Just picked up a 2015 800 pro for cheap, tunnel is bad in the rh stirrup. I was wondering what the compression should be on this one. 4200 miles, 300 hours at 1800' I have 104 pto and 101 on the mag. Any ideas?

GoHiSK1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Melfort Saskatchewan
Time for a rebuild I would say . You will get a ton of options I assure .
Piston and rings at a minimum . If it was mine I would disable the entire engine and check for worn parts .

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I'd be concerned at those numbers. I parted out a clapped-out 800 VES that had higher numbers at 4000', and I've seen as high as 130 PSI at my elevation. I've heard 120+ as a good number, but gauges, the guy pulling the rope, the elevation, and so on all factor in. That's part of the reason a leakdown check is a better indicator than compression. It wasn't on a sled, but I've got a motor that had ok compression numbers, and within 10%. It was burning oil like crazy, so I did a leakdown check - two pistons at 30% leakage, and one at 55%! Anyway, I'd pull the exhaust valves and Y-pipe and take a look at the pistons and cylinders. Also, check crank runout if you can.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
I'd be concerned at those numbers. I parted out a clapped-out 800 VES that had higher numbers at 4000', and I've seen as high as 130 PSI at my elevation. I've heard 120+ as a good number, but gauges, the guy pulling the rope, the elevation, and so on all factor in. That's part of the reason a leakdown check is a better indicator than compression. It wasn't on a sled, but I've got a motor that had ok compression numbers, and within 10%. It was burning oil like crazy, so I did a leakdown check - two pistons at 30% leakage, and one at 55%! Anyway, I'd pull the exhaust valves and Y-pipe and take a look at the pistons and cylinders. Also, check crank runout if you can.
Haven't checked runout or done a leak down test yet. I know it's low, just wanted opinions on how bad this is. It's at a shop getting the huge cracks in the tunnel/stirrups welded right now. This is a real low budget effort.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Yeah, I hear you. I'd check runout and leak-down on any new-to-me sled, but then I've got the tools for that. I'm also big on preventive maintenance on my Pro because used motors are hard to find and pricey (usually not much less than a used sled). You do have the Fuji crank at least, so that helps.

Premium Features