• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 Pro 155 tear down - Powder Coating - pics

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
First of all I must say this is the first time I have ripped a BRAND new sled down for any type of painting, I was pretty skeptical of this, I still am as its not back together yet, just into pieces and ready to send off to the local shop for coating. This is pretty much my thoughts on doing this for the first time, and some things I found as a noob to this, as well as a few questions for the seasoned pros at this.

Overall, its an easy job, just takes some time if you don't want to massacre your brand new toy. If it turns out the way I am hoping, I would not be afraid to do this to every new sled I buy, especially if things come apart like they do on the Pro.

Here is the tool list I used:
-1 set of metric sockets, 8mm-20mm, 10mm was the smallest and I think 18 was the largest I actually used
1- corresponding rachet wrench set
1- battery powered impact (just to ease along some bolts) - not really required
1 - die grinder and bit
1 - drill and 9/64 bit (used in drilling rivet heads)
1 - small punch
1 - hammer
1 - set torque bits (hood and slider removal)
1 - hex screw set (Alan keys) - only one really needed for removing ball joints from spindle assembly

This is the list of parts I removed for coating:
-1 front bumper
-2 spindles
-2 upper A arms
-2 lower A arms
-1 seat bracket
-2 suspension rails

also to be included is my gas rack which is not currently attached anyway so it never had to be removed

Parts I thought about including were:
-Rear bumper mounts, decided against this just because I know I will break a set or 2 at some point in the season and thus would be a waste to coat them
- 2 steering control arms, decided I didn't want to deal with realigning ski stance or removing the boots and all that crap to get them off, so they are staying in aluminum finish

Now here is the the breakdown of everything keeping in mind the hood and side panels are already removed

Front bumper:
Drill out the 2 rivets holding the bumper to the nose cone, remove the 3 10mm bolts holding bumper to frame tabs and lower nose cone. Remove bumper, drill out 2 bolts holding plastic side covers to bumper and clean out first to rivets if required. You man find it easier to remove the exhaust depending on what you are using for a drill, I didn't have to

Seat Mount:
Undo 10mm nuts x 4. Remove. That is all

Now at this point I looked at things and decided it was going to be easier to remove the rear skid before tearing out the front suspension. Reason being I didn't have access to the lift, it was burried behind and tractor that wasn't running. So I basically wanted to be able to turn the sled from one side to the other if needed and to be able to pull the suspension out while the machine was on its side.

Rear skid:
- undo bolt in center of rear axle as to allow axle to slide and thus track tension to decrease
- undo jam nut on track tensioner
- undo track tensioner bolts, I removed mine completely at this stage as they need to come out at some point anyway
-loosen rear track shock spring as to allow suspension to collapse as needed
-remove suspension mounting bolts x 4
-turn sled on side and remove skid
-return sled to flat position

Front Suspension
If I was doing this again, the biggest change I would make to what I did would be to loosen all bolts needed to separate various parts before removing things completely from the sled. Its a real pain to undo some of the bolts in the ski/spindle assemblies on a bench if they have not at least been cracked lose.

so no:
-remove connecting bolts from sway bar
- remove bolts from shocks (I just did the lower bolts and left uppers attacked to bulkhead
-undo 12mm nuts that attach A arms x 14
-remove front bolt from A arm (this bolt goes right through the bulkhead and is common to both halves of the sled)

you should now be ready to remove the whole ski and A arm assembly, I chose to work on the whole assembly on the bench to simplify things in my eyes.

next I undid the nuts on the upper ball joint, being careful to disturb the jam nut as little as possible so I don't have to piss around with ski stance adjustments on reassembly.
-once this is out you will have the upper A Arm free, now remove the "mount" bars and bushings from the arm and you are ready for coating prep on this arm

Now undo the bold holding the ball joint in the lower Arm, this will separate it from the spindle.
-remove the snap ring holding the ball joint into the arm, and remove ball joint from arm, I used a press to carefully press it out, A hammer and socket in combination with a vise will also do
- remove the "mount bars" and bushings from the other end of the lower arm, and it is now ready for coating prep

Now to separate spindle from ski.
-Undo the bolt running through the ski and spindle. Remove bolt and separate spindle and ski, being careful of the multitude of spacers and bushings in here.
-remove center bushing from spindle/ski mount hole
-remove inner plastic bushings from same hole (I started another thread about getting these out, I found no way to save all 4 of these, and ended up wrecking one half and using a socket to punch out the second half, others have opted to leave these in for coating)
spindle is now ready for prep

Rear skid tear down, there is alot here and I really don't want to type it all out, basically just keep stripping bars out that hold the 2 rails together, and note locations of washers and bushings on all sides ob attachment bars. I would take something off and reassemble the bolts and bushings in order they came off as soon as I removed desired part. Basically just keep in mind there are a ton of spacer washers and bushings here, and if you dont keep things in order, you will be confused when you reassemble.

basically what all has to be taken apart and removed:
-rear axle assembly
-any cross bars
-bar that hold rear shock to rails
-bar that holds front shock to rails
-bar that holds front limiter
-rubber travel limiter stops
-plastic anti stab covers at front of rails
-screws that hold on sliders
-sliders

when done you should be basically left with 2 naked rails and a suspension assembly and some parts, lol.
keep in mind you do not have to strip everything right down, just take bolts off that need to be removed to separate the 2 rails. All the shock and suspension arms can basically stay in tact

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
here are some pics, sorry it I have to post them in separate replies

edited cuz I realize I forgot to include running board removal in first post.

Running Boards - pretty simple really

-remove 1 10mm bolt at rear of running board and 2 10mm bolts at foot well
-drill drill and drill some more, I counted 13 rivets to hold the board to tunnel, I used a 9/64 bit and just drilled off one side, then used a punch to punch the last but of the rivet through once the board was off. I used a dye grinder on the 2 rivets at the footwell. Basically couldn't get my drill into these 2 without removing the plastics around them, so this seemed easier, just don't run wild.

sled 001.jpg

Last edited:
M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
ok now I have some questions for the guys that have done this a few times before and the guys that know their powder coating

First of all, what would you do different?

What did you do for Prep work? basically all I have got done right now is all the parts removed and and rivets or anything I can remove that I don't want to get coated taken off. Should I have left anything on and let it get coated? All parts are just the aluminum, no bushings, no anything.
Then I just taped over anywhere where a ball joint has to be reassembled into, or anything with a thread.

edit: -also what rivets should I use to reattach the boards when I get the parts back?
-and what loctite should I use on all the bolts, I know it was there from factory for sure?
-Regrease bushings and such now that its all been apart and some grease removed? what grease?
-source of torque specs for reassembly?

Any tips, tricks, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated at this time.

also to this stage, I think I have about 6 hours of time invested, for anyone who wants to know

Last edited:

Vertical Asshauler

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Ill be starting to tear down for powder coating this weekend. Just picked up the '13 today! :D

I will be using a stainless avdel rivet for re-assembly. They pull flat, dont rust, look nice and wont come loose over time. Expensive but worth the penny! If you don't have an air riveter already, invest in one and save your hands.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Great write up..Thaks for taking the time to describe it.

How confident are you in your powder coater?

Make sure that your parts do not get baked with others.

Low temp powders.

Degrease, and sandblast or acid etch before the pow coater gets them.

Make sure that your pow coater does not do the typical "burn off" bake prior to powder coating..

The alloys used in the parts you've removed are pretty high end alloys... A normal bake or "burn off" cycle could serious weaken your parts. The running boards would be especially concerning.

Ask the questions before hand. I've seen some running boards that were rendered pretty darn soft after pow coat.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
ok now I have some questions for the guys that have done this a few times before and the guys that know their powder coating

What did you do for Prep work? basically all I have got done right now is all the parts removed and and rivets or anything I can remove that I don't want to get coated taken off. Should I have left anything on and let it get coated? All parts are just the aluminum, no bushings, no anything.
Then I just taped over anywhere where a ball joint has to be reassembled into, or anything with a thread.

edit: -also what rivets should I use to reattach the boards when I get the parts back?
-and what loctite should I use on all the bolts, I know it was there from factory for sure?
-Regrease bushings and such now that its all been apart and some grease removed? what grease?

also to this stage, I think I have about 6 hours of time invested, for anyone who wants to know

I Agree, the first time I tore a brand new sled to that stature was kinda scary, but now this is my 3rd pro tear when new, and I will continue to do this every time I can. I think it is super fun and really nice to work with nice clean, new stuff!

http://www.adprivet.com/ultimate_rivets.html
So these are the rivets I went with, they work incredibly well and look killer, they have a ton of advantages. I went with the black small head and medium head for the plastic(I drilled out 2 big head rivets from the belly pan to drill out the front rivets you were talking about earlier)

On Loctite, either red or blue. You must loctite the cross shafts that thread into each other in the rear suspension otherwise they will eventually walk out, trust me, I know:) Remember the rear skid bolts always go from left to right.

Grease, I just use a synthetic grease that is good for low temp. I actually just use polaris grease, but any syn will work fine.

Sorry don't have torque specs, I just used my guesstimate torque wrench lol

I like to pc all the raw aluminum in the rear skid including all the cross shafts and spacers, rails, and if you like to change the color of your springs for the theme you are going with... Sounds like you got most of it fine.

A2EE531E-B185-4AF8-A70C-52ED7B722B3E-5057-0000016E155310CF.jpg

In this pic, notice how clean the rivets are in the running board. I absolutely love these rivets!
32469EBE-09BE-45EE-B847-6760C4B7285F-7322-00000223C098635C.jpg

Here is the rear skid: Just FYI this is my wife's sled, hence the slightly purple color:) I let her pic the colors she wanted
79A9F083-8265-40E6-9E32-8CFDBF8D428E-9642-000002C2B681C048.jpg

A

Aussie Niko

Not sure what tape you used to cover the holes but they do use a special powder coating tape which handles high heat.

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
as per coating the springs and cross shafts:
i thought about springs, but I'm going with an all Red/white/black combo, the springs are stock white, so it should look good in stock color
The cross shafts were also considered, but I fully expect to bend them at some point, so it would also be useless

i didn't mention it , but I taped off anything I didn't want to be coated, This includes threads and important joints etc. I was told just use painters tape for now so they can see what I want left out. They will do the rest.

As for blasting etc, they give all they aluminum they do a light bead blast and decrease prior to coating. So i should be ok there

Leaving the questions about baking with other products and some about rivets etc. I know this particular vendor is a farm machinery manufacturer. SO i will have to specifically ask about baking on their own, shouldn't be a problem though

As far as all the info everyone else has provided it it greatly appreciated, thank you

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
I would seriously consider doing all of the rear suspension components. The factory powder coating is pretty much junk.

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
I had thought about doing all rear suspension parts, but as this is my first time doing this, and I have yet to see any finished product from this vendor, I decided to wait. The vendor is only half hour's drive, so to get more done at any time isn't a big deal to me

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
350 degree is a good low temp .

They will need to buy the low temp power for that.

Farm equiment.... red flag.... DEFINETLY talk it out... you dont want your stuff in with a bunch of implement parts for the kind of cycle time that it takes to do heavy steel parts.... That is the scenario that those that have had problems with pow coat. I'm sure they can accomodate you though. If they give you the story that I've heard of from some shops "Don't worry, theres no way that powder coating can hurt your parts"...find a diff shop that is familiar with hi-tech tempered aluminum alloys.

Good luck with your project... post up the results!

Ski-Dont89

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2010
WYOMING
I talked to them today, they run the aluminum parts separate from the steel. they said they will be running around 375-380. Will this be a problem?

Hope not my buddy is pow coating my 13 parts at the same temp. I think it will work out ok.

I also cant say enough about the adp ultimate rivets. They flat out work and are the only rivet i use in applications like these.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Well after reading this thread. I won't have to go out and buy a shop manual.:face-icon-small-hap
For me, when I tear anything apart. I use a digital camera, and take lots of pictures so I know in what sequence the dang thing goes back together.:camera:
mickyd32 Awesome write up. You said this task took six hours? I couldn't do that write up you wrote in six hours!:face-icon-small-con

Last edited:
Premium Features