• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 clutch specs

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
BTW. Hats off to brew and joe, two competitors in the same thread positively helping forum members. Class acts!

The reality is that there are competitors out there and more will be coming along after roosterbuilt too. So then have good respectable relationship with all my competitors (as much as I can anyway because a few won't give me the time of day and/or cut my product up behind my back) as some of the troubleshooting information I know about has been "traded information".

One of the elements to factor in to try and have a respectable relationship is that there is enough of a market for all of us. If you can believe this number, Only 5% to 8% (depending on the time of the season, current/noncurrent/out of business manufacturer(s)) of total north america snowmobile consumer spends money in the aftermarket.

There are approximately 2.8 million registered snowmobiles in the world. United States - 1.62 million ; Canada - 708,490 ; Scandinavia - 430,000
92% to 95% of snowmobile owners spend near no dollars in aftermarket from stock. In this 5 to 8 % there is room for all of us aftermarket guys and this is from engines to seats, sausage heaters, clutch kits, drive belts. Combine all all aftermarket manufacturers and that makes up to about a maximum 8% of the total market.

It uses up time/effort/energy to be negative towards competitors so I rather be helpful to those competitors & their customers - I learn more.

Share experiences, hear, search out/prove, gain knowledge, become wise, educate, share experiences.

Last edited:

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
I am stunned that the 383 belt is coming on all 800...everything now, trail/back/mountn...
I am happy with what they do with the clutching, but this belt number is a blow to good clutching.

I really really really hope that the 377 is not going to go by the way like the 166 did.

:der: :noidea: :rain: :hand: :Cry: :pout: :fish: :smash: :mad:

:doh:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Anyone else find it odd that they went back to a TRA III spring cap?

AI wouldn't find it odd if they went back to a TRAIII clutch. Although once everything is "good" the 7 is a great unit.
How long until we see a whole new clutch design? :face-icon-small-win

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
AI wouldn't find it odd if they went back to a TRAIII clutch. Although once everything is "good" the 7 is a great unit.
How long until we see a whole new clutch design? :face-icon-small-win

The only "REAL" diff from a 3 and 7 is the splined gov. cup...(both have forged movable, goofy arms, new series ramps, run 1.5" belts) the spring cups are stronger in the 7....

As for the "NEW" clutch...dont look to much farther than your new ACE 600 or under da hood of your Can-Am wheeler...BJ:face-icon-small-win

BTW- its not hard to believe 2 clutch guys "GIVING" out info on the same thread with respect for each other...there BOTH class acts...now for the big dummy from MN>....LOL

T
Jun 17, 2008
we found in the 2010 that all we needed to do to it was put a 160/350 primary spring in it and that was awsome .great belt life and performance.
the 2010 had the added ability to keep the motor in align with the secondery
which solved the issues we saw in the 08 and 09 models .
mind you the original 08's suffered from an inferior spring toer cap bushing, upgraded in 09 and saw no further issues with it .
all 08 and 09 xp users need to watch the small bushing on the primarys moveable sheave for haveing to much side to side clearence .this is genorated on these two years from the motors inability to stay in align and put a cros strain on the moveable sheave which tended to wear the small plastic bushing in the moveable sheave below the spring tower .
it may look good but slipping the moveable sheave back on the center stem when the clutch is apart and check the 90 degree push and pull from the shaft .
we saw a lot with 1/16 inch clearece.with to much clearence you get a poor back shift , which is most noticable in the hard working conditions we see.
luckily the bushing is cheap to replace and not to hard to do if it doesnt get to far.
hope this helps some

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
Al

So you don't have the same distaste for the reverse helix as DJ and Brew? Just more end force for the primary spring? Was this setup for the mountains or flatland? What track length? Did you gear down?

Premium Features