• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011/12 Snowy Range snow conditions

G

gspbirdhunt

Jan 30, 2008
Janesville IA
headed West

Headed out from Iowa right now. Any new reports. Looks like winds are supposed to slow but not much for snow. Any recommendations out of Albany. Never rode out of there before - always greenrock then west or north. Thanks for any info. Silver GMC 2500 with floe protector. Say hey if you see us!

R

Ritfire73

Jan 5, 2009
Laramie Wy
Headed out from Iowa right now. Any new reports. Looks like winds are supposed to slow but not much for snow. Any recommendations out of Albany Never rode out of there before - always greenrock then west or north. Thanks for any info. Silver GMC 2500 with floe protector. Say hey if you see us!

Rode out of Albany today... The snow is getting pretty sloppy. The road is starting to show through just below the Keystone cutoff. If you get into the trees you can find some fun.

As for recomendations... The Muddy drainage can be fun, Go north up the Douglas... OR just get off the main drags and start cutting through the trees. You cant get too lost up there. There are roads to hit all over the place.

TurboT

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2008
W...Y...O
Just like Dansyl 159 said, turning into hero snow pretty quick. A group of us rode on Tuesday and there is still fresh to be found out of Greenrock but it's close to the tress and in the shady areas. With 50 degree temps around the corner we need new snow pretty bad. Watch out for the top of the Widowmaker...lots of ice!

snowpromod

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Northeast Ohio
Rode with Cameron from 3c Guiding last week - had a great time and he found us great snow! They need some snow, things were pretty beat down when we left yesterday.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

G

gspbirdhunt

Jan 30, 2008
Janesville IA
Conditions Update

Nothing really new other than we found better snow than expected.

Rode Thursday through Saturday.

Thursday rode south of Albany into drainage area and did a LOT of tree riding. Everything crusted pretty hard on top and sugar underneath.

Friday rode over to Rendezvous and then played in the trees on north facing slope and was very surprised. Good snow and no crust - much better than Thursday.

Saturday rode north from roller coaster and picked through woods and creek bottoms over to X and beyond. Found some good and some terrible.

When all said and done, probably the worst snow we have seen in 8 years going west, 2 - 3 times a season. Glad we went as this was our first trip this year but would not go again unless we were chasing a storm.

NEED SNOW!!!!

Always a good time hanging with the riding buddies and drinking a few beers. Looking forward to a better snow year next year. :face-icon-small-coo

rockdog2112

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2008
Cheyenne,Wy USA
I was up on Saturday. They need snow REAL bad. We were west of the N trail south of Quely. Found some untracked stuff but it was pretty settled. Not looking real good there. Most everything seemd tracked up and pounded out. Come on snow!

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
Is it only bad in the snowies because the snow is settled and in full spring riding or is it bad because it is littered with rock hard drifts or are the rocks & stumps that I hit earlier this year getting exposed again? Obviously one cannot expect powder with the way the weather has been. Please advise..... Thanks

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
I am not feeling so bad for bringing my trailer home after looking at the forcast.:face-icon-small-dis

By the way, bout time you came over to the dark side steelman.:face-icon-small-coo

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
I am not feeling so bad for bringing my trailer home after looking at the forcast.:face-icon-small-dis

By the way, bout time you came over to the dark side steelman.:face-icon-small-coo

You missed some good riding in Colarado...shouldnt of put the sled away yet Coyote!

We managed to get Beeman buried a few times and thought we were going to have to leave him and another guy out for the night when they dropped into a area by themselves late in the day, but they made it out. We could see the trouble they were in from a peak 1/2 mile away and could hear them fighting to get out in the thick trees.

Premium Features