• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 M8 Broken primary spring

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
'10 primary clutch is very much different from the '09 clutch is you really look (so is the secondary). Small important changes, but all for the better.

The new spring coil binds sooner than the old orange did.

I've been using the D&D white ( similar to if not the same as the SLP and Pol springs listed above but fits better cause smaller OD) for a few years. Nice to tune with and engagement between AC gold and Yellow-White.

Geo

any idea on the rates for the d&d white?
just surfed their site and couldn't find the spring or the rates.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
all the mfg of springs (or sellers i should say) measure their rates differently, so be sure to check at what depth their measurements are being taken at compared to Cat's.

I also noticed that the SLP springs are even wider than the Cat, as Geo mentioned above...

and Capri - WOW - that's the cleanest primary i've ever seen on a sled with 700 miles!!!

B

Bullcamp

Dec 6, 2007
WY
Quick,
Nice to see ya back in the Cat forum. Your Doo must be runnin good or you probably wouldn't have time to hang out with us Cat dudes. Thanks for you sharing your experience.

A
Sep 18, 2008
fernie
im on my 3rd spring and I only have 550 mile on my 2010 m8. im now have a spair spring with me as I do find a the sled does not pull *** hard and the rpm drops from 81.. down to 76.. on a long pull with a broken spring.
althoug i love the engagement with a broken spring... is ther a spring that is shorter to start but once engaged would have the same rates as stock???

W
Dec 2, 2008
2010 spring

On my 2010 M8 I switched my stock spring for a Polaris dark blue white and my engagement is much smoother now and rpm's at wide open is about 100 rpm's higher . Mark,

S
Oct 28, 2008
Lincoln MT
Broken spring

Is this on the 2010 M8 Sno Pros as well???? I thought they had Titanium Primary springs? They arent supposed to break, so they say. The damn things are expensive, you would think they would fix it.

S
Oct 28, 2008
Lincoln MT
2010 M8 SP Primary spring

My 10 M8 SP has a black or maybe even DARK gray primary spring. What is the color of the ones everyone is breaking??? Ive been told a hundred different things on what I have and what I should have. Are the black primary springs breaking??? I just want a spare so I aint stuck with a broken spring on a wicked powder day and cant ride, but dont know what to get. The 2 dealers I talked to told me I should have orange in both clutches, as does the AC website.HELP!!!!

A
Dec 31, 2007
Eagle River, AK
My 10 M8 SP has a black or maybe even DARK gray primary spring. What is the color of the ones everyone is breaking??? Ive been told a hundred different things on what I have and what I should have. Are the black primary springs breaking??? I just want a spare so I aint stuck with a broken spring on a wicked powder day and cant ride, but dont know what to get. The 2 dealers I talked to told me I should have orange in both clutches, as does the AC website.HELP!!!!

Black primary, orange in secondary, yes it's the Primary black spring thats breaking.

S
Oct 28, 2008
Lincoln MT
What should I replace it with??? Orange and white, orange and black? Plaid? Hot pink??? I cant get a straight answer from a dealer or parts people. What is the consensus here? Thanks.

A
Dec 31, 2007
Eagle River, AK
What should I replace it with??? Orange and white, orange and black? Plaid? Hot pink??? I cant get a straight answer from a dealer or parts people. What is the consensus here? Thanks.

Do a search for broken spring, there is a huge ongoing thread about this allready. Most people are going to the Orng/Wht I believe it is the same spring rate as the 2010 stock black/orange but a different manufacturer (don't quote me on that though).

jorgy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Iowa
Another spring you can go to is the AC yellow/white. It has a slightly lower engagement and almost the same top end.

K

Kruchy

Sep 30, 2009
Goodsoil, SK
Does that mean the black and orange spring I just got to replace my broken one is going to break as well?

K

Kruchy

Sep 30, 2009
Goodsoil, SK
Isn't that great. I want to change the weights for some flat land riding. Is there an easy way to get the spider nut off?

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
'10 primary clutch is very much different from the '09 clutch is you really look (so is the secondary). Small important changes, but all for the better.

The new spring coil binds sooner than the old orange did.

I've been using the D&D white ( similar to if not the same as the SLP and Pol springs listed above but fits better cause smaller OD) for a few years. Nice to tune with and engagement between AC gold and Yellow-White.

Geo

Thanks Geo .. I just pulled out two new springs I had laying around, AC y/w & SLP Blk/Slvr. The AC averaged 2.01", SLP 2.05" wide. Been running a SLP Blk/Yel with a shim washer in my mod 07M8 with no problems. Adjusted for the SLP measure (different than AC) and the shim, figure the B/Y is ~115/305. Might go with the D&D when it's time to change out...

Last edited:

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
broken primary

i notice my engagement was way down and yes it was broke.... my black/org primary spring at 500 miles on my 2010 crossfire 800 sno pro le.
went to my dealer got a yellow/wht. and it works amazing engagement 4300 rpm and top end 8150-8200 rpm.same spot as everyone else.
prevently if you got a black/org spring that isn't broke better yank it cause its only a matter of "borrowed" time

Picture 874.jpg

Premium Features