• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 M8 adjustable weights

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
The reasons I run Dalton are simple.....Daltons are a balanced set my Cat Weights were off by 0.8 Grams between the 3 weights. I ride between 2,500 and 8,500 ft and need to be able to add and remove weight to cover these variations, I can do that with Daltons and not have to change out weights. Last Daltons run the same weight profile as Cats.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Dalton weights havent changed their design (up to last year anyway) since the 900 fixed pin clutches. Those weights are not interchangeable with the M clutch, cause the tip hits the clutch in open position before the heel stop. This causes the weights to ride on the roller (no clearance) and act as the sheave stop with 100 to 170 lbs of pressure (depending on your primary spring).
Not good. Roller failure is a sure thing eventually. Bin dere done dat.
You can grind the tip for clearance (quite a bit), bit you end up with a LT AC design (if you use a balance edge to check).

Phoned them about it but they dont care. Just like their ER helix cut (same as AC) causes metal to metal contact when going into reverse (rides up off the rollers) after you reshim for a broken in belt.

Buyer beware.

Geo

F

fullshift

May 22, 2009
Brandon,Manitoba Canada
Dalton weights havent changed their design (up to last year anyway) since the 900 fixed pin clutches. Those weights are not interchangeable with the M clutch, cause the tip hits the clutch in open position before the heel stop. This causes the weights to ride on the roller (no clearance) and act as the sheave stop with 100 to 170 lbs of pressure (depending on your primary spring).
Not good. Roller failure is a sure thing eventually. Bin dere done dat.
You can grind the tip for clearance (quite a bit), bit you end up with a LT AC design (if you use a balance edge to check).

Phoned them about it but they dont care. Just like their ER helix cut (same as AC) causes metal to metal contact when going into reverse (rides up off the rollers) after you reshim for a broken in belt.

Buyer beware.

Geo

I like my weights tight against the rollers. As long as my sheave to belt clearance was right. In fact I use to adjust my belt clearance with set screws behind the weight heels. I always thought idling with those weights rattling around in there loose was hard on the rollers. I was told that is why the twins were harder on clutches than triples all the vibration. I guess I'm asking if this is true.

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.

Interesting....Before I installed the weights I did a comparison to determine their fit and they were exactly the same as my cat weight, profile wise including length.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Profile is the same as M wieghts but tip hits on inside.

Adjusting the weight to roller clearance to have least amount is good to allow the lightest weight possible (use the whole weight not just the part that finally touches), but never should the weight and roller be the sheave stop.

To check, see if your roller spins free when assembled.

Geo

Premium Features