• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 DRAGON 800 DYNOTEST Stock & PC-5

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
P
Feb 22, 2004
Wisconsin
And might add Paul that a 600 at sea level probably runs like an 8 at elevation.
Right, but his comparison is still valid. Comparing N/A 2strokes is the same at any altitude. The 800 has been kindof a stinker both out east and out west, and the 600 is known in both regions as being one of the best mills ever put to snow.

Cardiac Kid

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2001
The sled from the factory should run good, that I have to agree with and mine hasn't really met that criterion over the last 2 yrs. The issue of emissions is a big one and the fact that we are getting more or equal power while meeting very restrictive standards is a real challenge that we must face and see as a plus at some level. I'm just like everyone else in this sport and I am always wanting more. But look at what these restrictions did to the car companies in the past.

In the late 60 you could get a 350 Chevy that would put out 350 hp plus from the factory. In the 70's with the entire new emission requirement you were lucky to get 170 hp out of the same motor stock from the factory. By 95 my Chevy truck was making 200 hp in a 350 Chevy and now you can finally get a 6 liter engine that is pushing 350 hp on many models some 30 yrs later. This is what the big car companies have been able to do. Sleds don't have near the market to share the cost of this technology.

Now in the 70's I could pull the distributor apart and change the base timing and gain a bunch of Hp. They would flatten out the curve to keep emission down, this didn't help performance at all but it did get the government taken care of.

So we( the snowmobile comsumer) are doing fairly good compared to the impacts it took on performance in the car industries. Maybe an aftermarket tuner isn't so bad once you start to embrace the challenges these companies are facing.

I
Sep 26, 2009
Anchorage, Alaska
I agree with Cardiac. As soon as the Fed/EPA gets involved we loose performance and economy. Look at what the new diesel emissions standards are doing to those trucks the past few years. Increased costs, decreased mileage and power. We are in the middle of those same growing pains with sleds right now but overall the manufacturers are doing good, even if there have been some issues with performance and durability. As soon as they get them working well you can bet the next level of standards will be tougher to meet.

We all know Global Warming is a scam just like the required emissions testing for cars in my town is BS. All we have to do is vote out the left wing enviro nazzis and then put reasonable people in charge of offices like the EPA and we could get reasonable laws. Too many people are blind to what's really going on and blame companies like Polaris when the root of the problem starts in an election booth.

Rant over

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
We all know Global Warming is a scam just like the required emissions testing for cars in my town is BS. All we have to do is vote out the left wing enviro nazzis and then put reasonable people in charge of offices like the EPA and we could get reasonable laws. Too many people are blind to what's really going on and blame companies like Polaris when the root of the problem starts in an election booth.

Rant over

Well said!
I think these sleds should put out the advertised HP period. I don't care what problems they are faced with, that's why these cost $11,000+. I want to get MORE power for my money when I buy aftermarket bolt-ons, not just get it to the advertised power output. I'm sure the hp ratings are apples to apples with the other companies whatever the stated hps are and it will show on the mountain, but come on Polaris! BTW I do love my sled!:beer;

M
Oct 20, 2009
Quite a bit actually. The PCV is the latest greatest. The biggest difference is that the PCV can use the auto tune kit to manage your fuel mapping. The PCIII has to have maps programmed into. So unless you are very confident in what you are doing you have to get the maps from a place like SLP, DynoTech, etc (or you will burn down your motor!). Also the PCV is smaller and uses a different file format for maps (so PCV maps are not directly compatible with PCIII maps). Here is a link. It's worth checking out their products.

DynoJet Power Commander

Will the boondocker controller work in the same way is the PC's? I just stumbled upon one for cheap and would like to know if its any bit comparable.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Will the boondocker controller work in the same way is the PC's? I just stumbled upon one for cheap and would like to know if its any bit comparable.

The Boondocker is only adjustable in 3 categories, low R.P.M. mid R.P.M. and High R.P.M.

The PC 3 and/or 5 are much more precise in that you can adjust for every 250 R.P.M. increments and 5 or 6 throttle position openings for each R.P.M.

M
Oct 20, 2009
The Boondocker is only adjustable in 3 categories, low R.P.M. mid R.P.M. and High R.P.M.

The PC 3 and/or 5 are much more precise in that you can adjust for every 250 R.P.M. increments and 5 or 6 throttle position openings for each R.P.M.

So what your saying is I wont be able to get optimal performance with the tuning capability of the Boondocker, and I should go the way of a PCV. Or will it work just fine?

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Can you use the PC5 to setup a turbo setup? It obviosuly won't control boost which is fine but for fuel. How about the autotune? Will it be capable of "auto-tuning" a turbo setup?

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Boondockers, PC-3, PC-5, MAPPING

So what your saying is I wont be able to get optimal performance with the tuning capability of the Boondocker, and I should go the way of a PCV. Or will it work just fine?

MRK,

The other factor to consider is the mapping. With the PC-3 and or PC-5 DYNOTECH JIM has completed a lot of the work already and has maps incuded for FREE w/purchase of the PC-3 or PC-5:D

SLP used to sell only Boondockers and now they're also recommending and selling the PC-3 and PC-5, that should tell you something, a few months ago SLP took out a half page ad in Snowtech advertising only one item, the PC-3.

Even if you get the Boondockers cheap, what are you going to do for mapping to start with.:confused:

Might be saving $200 on the initial purchase and then spending $500 in time and Excedrins trying to get it all sorted out.;)

It's a short season you know, I'd try to maximize seat time having fun riding.

Last edited:
M

Mountain800

Dec 11, 2008
Norway
Pcv on Assault 2010

I have ordered PCV from dynotech jim for my 2010 Assault.
Anybody here that have tested his setup on the mountain? And how does it feel?:)

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I have ordered PCV from dynotech jim for my 2010 Assault.
Anybody here that have tested his setup on the mountain? And how does it feel?:)

I try mine on the update this weekend. I did check with him this week to make sure my PCV had the most recent update he did. He said he might have a leaner map down the road. Sweet!

I
Sep 26, 2009
Anchorage, Alaska
Looks like DTR got those results posted up today. The numbers look sad next to the results for stock Cat & Doo 800's. I just don't see how my '10 D8 could pull the way it does with those #'s.

When I drag raced 2 stock 600 Swichbacks (with good traction) it looked like they never even hit the gas. I put busslenghts on them. I drag raced a 600 Doo snow cross sled right after and he had at least a 250# weight adavantage, lower gearing, 121" track, 130HP no traction problem. I easily outran that sled too. I'm sure the SLP exhaust & big air intake lean it out some but enough to make that fat of a stock tune work as good as mine does? I don't get it. Oh and I swapped to 70g primary weights, pull 8300 RPM and peaked at 86mph in that short drag race (probly 1000') across the lake.

My neighbor has a '10 M8 so I guess when we get to ride together in January I'll call him out and see how I stack up against his sled. I'm going to have a weight disadvantage but by less than 100#'s. Will post up results when it goes down.

F
Nov 26, 2007
www.boondockers.com

Boondocker will have updated programming available this season with 13 rpm ranges and 6 throttle settings, along with additional features to make tuning much easier (ability to display O2 readings, perform multiple stats captures at the push of a button). I think it will be released once they get caught up on the turbo stuff...

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Where can u download the maps from the dynnotech website? I have a subscription and all I can see is ont for the 800 CFI in the upper right corner and its not for the PC V.

What he said!! I feel like I wasted $25 bucks on the Dynotech site, only map on the site won't even show up on my computer. Guess I will try to call SLP and see if I can get their map for my PC111. My updated 08 with SLP pipe and stock air horn removed runs great but I would like a safe map to keep this thing going as long as possible.

S
Mar 17, 2008
just wanted to chime in as we had similar issues with the 1000 summit. Putting on a fuel controller made a world of difference however DO NOT use them with out an EGT or a/f ratio gauge. There were all kinds of maps put out that guys said where the fix. it is up to you to keep your sled together so be very wary......good luck

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Dynotech pc 3 and pc 5 maps

What he said!! I feel like I wasted $25 bucks on the Dynotech site, only map on the site won't even show up on my computer. Guess I will try to call SLP and see if I can get their map for my PC111. My updated 08 with SLP pipe and stock air horn removed runs great but I would like a safe map to keep this thing going as long as possible.

Trenchmaster & Greasemonkey:

The maps are available from DYNOTECH give Jim a call

(585) 993-2777

Last edited:
Premium Features