• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2001 polaris rmk 800 - no fire

K
May 18, 2009
Casper Wyoming
ok I need some help please. I have a 2001 Polaris RMK 800.. Just rebuilt the engine. Installed engine and everything hooked up correctly. I have very little spark/spuratic spark. My Stator tests all within the normal limits. Coil tests in normal limits. With spark plugs removed and grounded on head I can barely see any spark and it doesnt seem to be firing as much as it should. What am I missing?

K
May 18, 2009
Casper Wyoming
ya Im thinking it has to be something simple also. Ive pulled the engine back out 4 times today thinking I have missed something. There is only 3 sets of plugs from the stator to the sled. a 2 wire plug to the coil/air box. a 2 wires set to the temp sensor. Ive checked the kill switch and TPS switch and all test fine also.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
more then likely you switched the coil plug and the temp sensor plug, I have done it and so have alot of people, try that. I don't think it is a ground problem there is no grounds that you hook up except on the voltage regulator but that will not keep it from running. try swapping those connectors first.

J
Mar 20, 2008
it could be alot of things none of which are hard to fix but it's gonna be trial and error untill you find it check like your tether, kill switch, maybe even just a new set of plugs might do the trick just hope it doesnt have anything to do with the E.C.U./Brain (spendy little item) best of luck man

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
it could be alot of things none of which are hard to fix but it's gonna be trial and error untill you find it check like your tether, kill switch, maybe even just a new set of plugs might do the trick just hope it doesnt have anything to do with the E.C.U./Brain (spendy little item) best of luck man

if you come to the point you think you need a ecu pm me I will sell you one cheap, I have several of them

I
Dec 2, 2007
Illinois
Did you try changing the spark plug boots? Sometimes that take a crap. Also you can unhook the single black wire between the wiring harness and the engine harness and it will isolate the engine from the rest of the circuit. you won't be able to kill the engine with this disconnected.

Last edited:
K
May 18, 2009
Casper Wyoming
ok I still need sum more help with this thing. I unplugged the black wire and it fired right up. When I plug it back in no spark again. Is there a way to disable the key, kill switch seperately?

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
unplug the kill switch on the handlbars, it will be under the plastic cover on the bars, just unplug the ignition switch pull the plug off of the back of it

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
Just an after thought and for those that find it is not the kill switch. Try replacing the plug wires. I had one break on my daughters sled after she endo'd it 5 times. It would idle fine, but if you tried WFO it would miss horribly. We had to pull wires off another sled to get it up a few of the hills and back out. If you were not really on it though, it would do ok.

Glad you got it going. Electrical issues really suck and can be so damn tough to find.

Premium Features