• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

10 m8 oil tank cross thread

W
Dec 21, 2009
Maple Valley, WA
'07 m8

Thursday night I had topped off the reservoir, jacked the back up to check the track and belt tension, so ran the sled for a little bit. Loaded my, new to me, '07 M8 into the truck Friday night and walked back into the garage and saw an ounce or two of oil where the sled was. So I opened the engine compartment and found oil sprayed all over the fuel injector assembly. Even had a good amount that leaked onto the bed of my truck. Wished I would have read this then, as I bagged my trip and took the sled to a local guy to check out. He's saying the same thing, crappy cap seal, but also found out that I have a pretty good exhaust leak below the Y pipe.

Anyone think a couple wraps of quality teflon tape might fix the seal??? If not, looks like I'll be ordering an insert from Dan.

D

DAN03REV

Oct 20, 2008
ALGONA, IOWA
be sure to note what sled you have if you order from me .. want to be sure you get the insert you need .. thank you .. DAN

S

skimike

Dec 21, 2009
bakersfield
I mailed you a check this morning, I thought mine came from arctic cat like that, it was crossed and egg shaped from the get go.
hey guys .. DAN03REV from DOOTalk here ... glad to help .. my TYPE #3 insert will fit Crossfires, Firecats, and M series for ARCTIC CAT .... will fit any Polaris with a large oil cap (2 inch inner diameter)... and all 2003/older SKIDOO snowmobiles

will not fit these sleds:
NEW F-SERIES ARCTIC CAT
Z, ZL, ZR ARCTIC CAT
OLDER POLARIS WITH SMALL OIL CAP

DAN_03REV@YAHOO.COM is my email for any questions

M
Oct 26, 2009
Insert

ebay member holpatjv has a machined insert that helps the neck keep its shape and seal properly
I sent him the dimensions off my new oil tank for my 07 m8
Been putting it off curious if the new tank would deform it is so guess i will order it up

D

DAN03REV

Oct 20, 2008
ALGONA, IOWA
ebay member holpatjv has a machined insert that helps the neck keep its shape and seal properly
I sent him the dimensions off my new oil tank for my 07 m8
Been putting it off curious if the new tank would deform it is so guess i will order it up

he charges $10 more than me for the same part .. i have been selling these for 4 years now .. i think the guy bought an insert from me long while back then copied dimensions ..

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
Anyone with a 2010 M8 that has had melting problems with your oil tank or lid, please pm me pictures. I will be sending the pictures to one of the cat test riders. They want to see exactly what and where the heat problem is so they can try preventing it in the future. ONLY 2010 M8's!! Thanks, Matt

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
Anyone with a 2010 M8 that has had melting problems with your oil tank or lid, please pm me pictures. I will be sending the pictures to one of the cat test riders. They want to see exactly what and where the heat problem is so they can try preventing it in the future. ONLY 2010 M8's!! Thanks, Matt

its pointless man, these sled manufactures always screw up the small details, and im not sure the test riders are what i would call "real riders"......its 2010 and these goons still cant clutch a sled worth a flip, unbelievable!!!

sidenote - dont take the oil cap off when its hot and add some cheap heat tape from homedepot.....on the bottle and cap

the 08 XP seemed to be the start of crappy oil resoviors......its getting real bad with the M sleds:face-icon-small-dis

A
Oct 27, 2009
Soldotna Alaska

My sled is vented and it still warped!!!
I have a 153LE It is vented with 2cool side vents, a BDX intake with all foam removed and heat taped.

A little clutching, an antistab kit, HCR 4 wheel kit and the sled rocks.
Hope the track holds together??

Should we expect more for 12k

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
They want to see pictures from the people that are having this problem. I like the idea that he wants to see other people's problems and make an attempt to fix it. I know that in the right snow conditions, there isn't any type of venting that will prevent excessive underhood heat. I melted a hole in my oil tank on my 07 M1000 and I use a diamond-s hood and 2cool side vents. There was just that much snow that day and it was full throttle to go anywhere. It happens. Again, please pm me any pictures anyone has from their 2010 M8. If you know of anyone else that has had the problem, but isn't on here, let me know and I'll get ya my email. Thanks again, Matt

S

skimike

Dec 21, 2009
bakersfield
I dont think it a heat shield problem , I think its a raw material problem, Im no chemist, but there is prolly too much recycled material in the plastic, it always degrades the material. when I reheated mine it didn't take very much heat to reform.

D

DAN03REV

Oct 20, 2008
ALGONA, IOWA
ran out of rubber o-rings that go around insert ... if you have a local store to get one the size is 1/16w x 1.06 inside diameter ... nice tight seal

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
Aw Crap, something more??? I love the sled and am just getting it dialed in and now my track has cords coming out and my dealer says it is normal and that AC will not warranty it. Now my bottle is going to warp. It already has oil leaks in the exhaust. I paid 1/2 the price for my Polaris when it was new and had maybe 1/4 the problems with it and it kicked butt and still does.

I am a sucker for a quick fix, so let me check it and I will probably just order one. When will you have more o-rings?

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
crapoilres.png

Dano - Great idea but how does the neck stay round, even with the insert, when there is this thick seam? Seems like when the insert is in place the seam is going to cause a bulge on that side?

BTW - I have a 2010 M8. I noticed the neck/thread area was warped a little after a few hundred miles. No pics though. I took the cap off and very carefully screwed it on and after sitting for a week or two the neck area appears round again. The gasket in the cap was not seated properly either so I pushed it back into place. Last night I put reflective tape on the right side of the bottle.

Premium Features