• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 king cat 900 efi wont run

Poocat900

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 13, 2016
Eugene oregon
Having issues getting my old king cat back up and running. I quit ridding this sled 4 years ago when the fuel pump went out on the mountain started working on it in 20q8 after I bought a new m8 and wanted to get it out as a back up sled.
I replaced the fuel pump and went to fire it up and it would not start. Poured gas in the cylinders and it would run tell the fuel was burned off that I poured in.
I checked fuel pump voltage, fuel pressure and they are both good.
My next thought was either fuel injectors are bad or the cdi box isn't talking to the injectors.

I am stumped on this one and want to get this old girl out and kill some hills with it again.

Thanks in advance for any help.

20200125_172515.jpg

Wildman9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2011
I have had this happen , I think the injectors get plugged up with crappy gas. I just kept putting fuel in the cylinders and running it on brake clean, it eventually ran on it's own. You can take an led test light and put in place of the injector and pull it over, the light should flash.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Run fuel pump off a battery to get her going. I have had to do this to a few sleds over the years after sitting.

Poocat900

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 13, 2016
Eugene oregon
I have had a battery on the fuel pump and tried that. I have also put tons of mixed gas in it trying to get it running that way. I have a couple other sleds I have to do that with almost every year.
I am going to get the injectors bench yesterday and cleaned and I will also us a test light and see if I have power at the injectors.

truckyeah

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2019
if you pull the injectors and jump them to a battery and spray brake clean through them back wards you can back flush garbage out, there should be an inlet screen on the injectors as well

arcticridr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2003
Redding Ca
See if you can borrow a Noid light from someone , that will tell you if the injector is getting a pulse from the ecm . Sound like the injectors are plugged , pull the fuel line at the rail get a straight hose splicer and add enough hose to put the end in a bottle pull her over and I bet you get black discusting looking fuel , pull the injectors and find someone with a flow/cleaning bench have em redone and problem will probibly be solved , have seen this on alot of sleds that have sat for a while , fuel line deteriorates and first pull the gunk is sent right to the injector plugging the screen and pintel.. hope this helps

J
Jan 17, 2023
Colorado
See if you can borrow a Noid light from someone , that will tell you if the injector is getting a pulse from the ecm . Sound like the injectors are plugged , pull the fuel line at the rail get a straight hose splicer and add enough hose to put the end in a bottle pull her over and I bet you get black discusting looking fuel , pull the injectors and find someone with a flow/cleaning bench have em redone and problem will probibly be solved , have seen this on alot of sleds that have sat for a while , fuel line deteriorates and first pull the gunk is sent right to the injector plugging the screen and pintel.. hope this helps
Great info. Thanx!

Premium Features