• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rivet Recommendations

S
Nov 28, 2007
There have been a few people asking questions of what kind of rivet to use to fix their sled. I just finished installing a heat exchanger on my Apex, and used the pop rivets supplied by Yamaha. I was extremely impressed how they work. The rivet is designed to create folds when pulled. The folds create pressure to hold the materials together tightly, and also give alot more surface area on the blind side. You can see the folds if you look at the blind side of the rivet on your Yami. The rivets are made of steel and are coated with what looks to be aluminum, but not sure of the coating.

I had to buy a pneumatic pop rivet gun ($100), because the hand rivet guns were not up to the job. I broke 2 quality hand pop rivet guns, before deciding to buck up for a good air tool. Money well spent, and now I have another cool tool to add to my "Awesome Array of tools"

The rivets cost .55 each from Yamaha. Kind of spendy, but well worth it. Couldn't find anything like it at the industrial fastener stores.

Last edited:

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
Last year when I rebuilt my rear tunnel I bought mine from Yamaha, paid $75 for what should've cost $11.25. Still kicking myself, but at the time, it was dumping 2ft+ a day and I would've paid anything not to miss another day.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
where are you guys getting these from in smaller quantities? would love to buy a hundred or so at a time. buying at the dealer with a discount i still pay about .50 each.

ski

S
Nov 28, 2007
A word of caution from a Materials Engineer. Staineless steel rivets and aluminum tunnels don't work well together due to galvanic corrosion. Road salt+water+stainless steel+aluminum =galvanic corrosion.

S
Nov 28, 2007
Then what are the Yamaha rivets made from? Sure looks like stainless.... Drills like it too.
Stainless steel is not magnetic. So, take a magnet and place it on the rivet. You will find that magnet is attracted to the rivet. Also, all the shavings that I drilled from the rivets were magnetic. The rivets that yamaha is using is either aluminum coated steel, or some kind of Cadmium plated steel. The plating is what is preventing rust from happening. They are definitely not stainless.

D

Ding

Apr 17, 2002
Michigan
Yamaha has used over 100 different rivets through the years. The ones the original poster referred to are likely the Stavex rivet made by Avdel. These are very strong for a non-structural rivet, have great hole fill, and gripping characterisitcs.

Yamaha tunnel rivets are mostly this model in 3/16" zinc coated steel rivet / steel mandrel configuration - part# BS01-0618. You can get these from any Stavex distributor such as Marshall Sales in Detroit for about 6 cents a piece. That is only $60 for 1000. There are a number of snowmobile forum users that resell them in small quantities.

For structural rivets (like the ones that hold footrests) I like the Interlock rivet from Cherry I believe. Several brands carry this type.

Like most industries corporate mergers and other aquisitions have really muddied the waters for manufacturer names. In this case Avdel was ultimately acquired by Textron, and joined with Cherry to become Avdel-Cherry, then spun off as Avdel Global.

You can go online and request for a distributor in your area. http://www.avdel-global.com/en/products/breakstem-fasteners.html

Take a look at the picture on the Stavex page . . .

Last edited:
Premium Features