• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2001+ MM700 vs. 2008+ Phazer

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
2001 MM700 vs. 2008 Phazer
My girlfriend and I got back into snowmobiling this last season and have been running a pair of Yamaha Mountain Max 700 (2001 and 2003). We've started considering getting a used Phazer ('08 or later) and used Nytro ('10 or later) next season. We are not power freaks and so the power on each should be fine. MM700 are around 100hp, but with the 4-stroke power delivery of the 80hp phazer, I think that will be fine for our riding styles. The Nytro will likely be a 162" so between the two, we would have options. We'll probably take turns switching back and forth on the machines depending on terrain because I might be a tad less likely to get the shorter-tracked Phazer stuck in the deep stuff and think the "tippy" nature would be fun to carve and on the trails. Again, the Phazer having only 80 hp is not a concern unless it impacts it starts impacting our ability to ride off-trail at altitude. Then two nytros or one nytro and keeping a MM700 might be in our future.

Some of the comments on the newer Phazer's "trenching" with the narrower 14" track have me wondering about newer Phazer flotation and how it compares to our MM700. I did a quick estimation on the track footprint and the 141" x 15" Mountain Max has more track on the ground than the 144" x 14" Phazer. I know there is more to flotation and mountain performance than that track footprint, but just curious if we'd be going backwards for riding in deep snow and on mountain performance. We typically ride the mountains, here in Montana, at 6,000 to 8,000 feet (and up to 9,000) and it can be plenty deep. We can handle it well on our MM (just have to be a bit more picky on where we go compared to the 153" and 162" sleds).

I may not have the ability to test ride a phazer or nytro in the deep powder before purchase so just trying to get a comparison from someone that has mountain or deep powder riding experience on both the 2001+ MM700 and on the new generation of Phazers. I'm posting this over her in the two-stroke section because I figure this section more likely to come up with the cons rather than pros of the new phazer and that is what I'm after. Mainly, though, the deep powder abilities of each from people that have real world experience on both especially those that have owned both. Thanks.

Last edited:
T

Trax 2 Treadz

May 14, 2009
Medicine Hat, AB
www.trax2treadz.com
I cannot offer a good comparision of a MM700 to a 08 Phazer as I only rode a MM700 once, but I do know that the Phazer MTX off trail capabilties are really lacking in comparision to a '00 600 Powder Special we still run. On trail the Phazer MTX is a far superior sled, but once you get it in the deep snow you have to be hard on the throttle all the time or you'll be stuck.

n2otoofast4u

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010
A 700mm will run circles around a late model phazer in every aspect of riding JMO..

TRIPLESWILLNEVERDIE!

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2008
Northwest, MT
Do yourself a favor and keep the MM 700 for her and dont waste your time and money with the new gen phazer. btw stock horsepower for a 700 mm is between 110 and 120 depending on whose dyno your using.
If you want more flotation and deep snow capability out of the mm put a 151 track on it. You dont need to install a tunnel extension if you go 151 or shorter. Saves a hundred bucks plus labor. Also put some Powder Pro or Nytro MTX skis on it and it will steer better, turn tighter and float way better.

Your right on about the 2010-up Nytro. They are great sleds and you can get some pretty good deals on them right now.

T
Dec 25, 2007
I agree. Phazer is an absolute slug off trail compared with the MM700. A boss seat and some raised handlebars and I think the trail ride is better than the phazer as well. Solid ol' sleds those MMs...

N
Nov 27, 2007
Kapowsin, WA
Don't bash the Phazer

My daughter rides and loves her 08 Phazer. We mostly ride off trail and it works well boondocking. I wouldn't pick one for me but for a smaller rider they work fine. Does the mm700 have electric start & reverse? These are nice options.

529025_4703204091406_1251449759_n.jpg

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
i have owned both these sleds. My triple piped MM700 will blow away the phazer in the powder, no comparison. My 2007 phazer mountain lite is very fun to ride on the trail and in a little bit of powder with a solid base(a foot or less). Deep bottomless powder with the phazer is a really bad idea. i was very dissapointed the first time i dropped off the trail in deep pow with the phazer....it sinks like a boat anchor and does not get on top of the snow. The phazer is a great reliable fun sled in the right conditions, electric start, reverse, no smoke, no oil are a nice bonus too. but just not enough HP for deep pow

Nytro is a different story....works great in the powder even stock, and awesome with a pump gas turbo

Last edited:

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. This is greatly helping me evaluate what will be right for us. Short of a test ride in the deep, which is unlikely, I really have nothing but speculation and other peoples experiences to base our decisions on. Further opinions welcome. I might have to think on this decision one more season.

C
Sep 23, 2011
Durango, Co
I rode phazers at my wife's job guiding sled tours. I would take my stock 136 mtn max over one even if my mtn max had a blown motor. I hated those things. Everything about them irritated me. We rode them at altitude on and off the trail. Just my 2 cents

S

SNOW 365

Nov 28, 2007
Walla Walla Wa
Keep the mtn max for her, if you really want to make it more fun for her put a boss seat on it and a 151 track as mentioned above. They are one of the most bullet proff sleds of all time. The longer track makes alot of diff.

Premium Features