• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'09+ Cooler Mounting

knh208

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
I'm in the midst of this conversion using OEM parts. I bought the tunnel extension, bumper, flap, taillight, cooler, board edges and gussets. The pic below if one of the few I can find of a new cooler mounted. I have a few questions:

Is there typically a gap between the rear of the cooler and the rear of the tunnel?

Are there supposed to be shields over the hoses?

How is the taillight wiring routed?

I'm getting close to finishing and want to make sure I wrap up these little details properly.

09NFrearcooler.jpg

Pic from here: http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1854238&postcount=23

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
I did this also

In 2010 I did the same conversion to my 07 M1000 and I remember the wiring being under the rh heat exchanger from the front of the tunnel where the exchanger goes through the tunnel by the brake system. I got the wiring harness as it was different at the taillight from original, the same at the harness as far as the plug. I thought my heat exchanger was in the same location but would have to look though!!? I do also remember that the wiring was only long enough for the taillight to plug in so before you rivet it into place plug it all in first as you cant move it once you have rivetted the exchanger back up to the tunnel.

knh208

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
I am using the 07 harness. I bought the mating connector, but haven't crimped it on yet.

I riveted my cooler in place last night and there was no gap. Because of that, I couldn't figure out how to run the wires. The 90° hoses didn't fit either, as they aren't long enough.

Perhaps I will try move it ahead one rivet hole and take some pics.

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
they do have a small gap or its the space,in the curve of the tunnel it fits in the crack, If your all rivetted up I dont know where it would go, it will rub if its in the heat exchanger area though, under hard jumps and spins, as the track grows and warps(for a lack of better words). You maybe fine though?

N
Apr 8, 2010
Newcastle, WA
On my m7 I cut my tunnel down to go from 162-153, put on a vei bumper, 09 cooler and pc tail light.
I ran the cooler all the way back at the end of the bumper. I got heater hoses from napa to make it work. Tail light wires ran above the hose and behind the rolled down section at the rear of the cooler, then up through a grommet.

knh208

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
Just found this info:
Go and look at the parts fiche for the 2011 hcr, it has some protection plates over the hoses/clamps.
SKU: 5606-576
Protector, Hose - Right Rear

SKU: 5606-577
Protector, Hose - Left Rear

Premium Features