• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

sled cop stories?

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
i have a couple old stories how about you

ely mn trail system-
doin 88 he came walkin out of the trees from his 2 up indy 500 with a radar. "i can run this hes not even suited up", i thought. haha. he called the 5.0 and they blocked the trail in a bottleneck, that was spendy.

i have a vivid memory of the day before i went to the e.r. of being pulled.
I was racin a buddies powder extreme against his bro on a xlt in an unused football field, he ran back to his house and i continued to play.
well i aired it out off the top of a ten foot push pile right along side the road. but the fuzz was right there and acted like i landed on his big toe! was frickin pissed, threatening to arrest me and such. just then it turned out my buddy went home to get switch to his dads tcat 1000 to really do some racin haha!
this is what ill never forget and is perma-burned into my memory.
im gettin scolded by this dnr officer, hes red in the face. i hear that tripple piped black magic t cat comin, look that direction and hes WOT hangin off the side, huge snow cloud comin right for us at about 100 mph! the officer shut up and started scolding him hahaha. still cost me 115$

was up by furgus falls mn riding alongside the railroad trail system crushin cattails, jumping stuff, wheelieing over approaches, racin cars, sidehilling the roadside of the ditch. as im hanging off the side of the ditch this dnr officer comes roaring up along side me lights and siren just goin.
after i saw him i definitely stopped due to my confusion as to why he even needed to pull me? I was thinking it was just a routein licence check, turns out its illegal to ride on the road side of a ditch and its totally legal to have no mn licence if you have out of state tags. oh, and being i was sure i did nothing wrong as he was getting my attention i made a wide right turn, he parked, and i launched from the ditch sideways into the hwy 3/4 across it right at him and locked the breaks to slide right up to his feet on the pavement he asked why i wasnt on the nice smooth trail and i laughed "wheres the fun in that?" he looked offended with his 2 up bearcat or pantera on the trailer
-you know ya gotts give them a reason haha!

Last edited:

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
i am alot happier here out west without all the rules and fines and officers trying to stop the fun stuff. no private trespassing problems notin just go ride where ever you feel for miles.
back where im from originally the trespassing isnt really a problem and theres no fences but its so flat i had an actual cop radar me in the middle of a field on a tree line and wait till i was close to the road to chase me down and give me a speeding ticket?? or somthing?? i guess ill never know cause as a rule of thumb never drive towards the flashing lights keep em behind you

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
all in all its just fun and they are doing their job keeping people safe for the most part. unless they are following up on a phonecall which wastes their time and yours

-------------------------thanks for the flame joel97mustang ----------------------------------------V

Last edited:
S

srx_600

Apr 16, 2009
South Dakota
Wow. My brain hurts from attempting to read that first story.

Feel something like this?

32f.gif

:bounce:

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
MY first incounter with DNR was in W yellowstone half mile west of town. I opened it up on that first straightaway then as I get up to speed I see a guy coming out of the woods. I am thinking this guy is lost or stuck and needs some help. Then I see he has a green suit with a radar gun in his hand"O CRAP" this guy is pissed ! He says " DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT THE SPEED LIMIT IS HERE?" i reply "THERE IS ONE? I AM FROM NORTH DAKOTA WE DRIVE THEM 100 THERE ALL THE TIME!" This probably was not the best answer....dont remember how much the ticket was but it was costly.

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
Wow never heard of sled cops in my life haha

I've never heard of or seen a sled cope either. The only law enforcement I've ran across was a guy sitting in the parking lot checking registrations. Thankfully he let me put the sled back on the trailer and kindly directed me to the nearest place to get it registered without a ticket.

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
i am alot happier here out west without all the rules and fines and officers trying to stop the fun stuff. no private trespassing problems notin just go ride where ever you feel for miles.
back where im from originally the trespassing isnt really a problem and theres no fences but its so flat i had an actual cop radar me in the middle of a field on a tree line and wait till i was close to the road to chase me down and give me a speeding ticket?? or somthing?? i guess ill never know cause as a rule of thumb never drive towards the flashing lights keep em behind you

Josh very good advise, I try to live by these words of wisdom.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Being a sled cop I could not resist chiming in. I will incude a few stories as a sled cop and one encounter I had in my young days with one.

I once wrote a citation to a Deadwood Taxi Cab that got stuck while driving on the snowmobile trail. Said he was lost.

Had a family with a two up sled that bunge corded a child safety seat onto the backrest to keep their toddler "safe" The safety seat was swinging wildly side to side on the rough moguled trail. Had to have a conversation about safely transporting childeren. Suprised the kid wasnt seasick.

Had to rescue a family from Austrailia in a rented PT cruiser stuck on the trail and had to spend the night.

Had a 4 foot male from Florida standing chest deep in snow franticly waving his arms and yelling for help. He had gone of trail with a rental 2-up by himself and got stuck. He was afraid he was going to be eaten by the animals. Got him unstuck and pointed him back to the lodge. The lodge operator had to rescue him 1 more time before he made it back.

Wrote tickets to a group from Missouri for no snowmobile license. They were riding old sleds rattle can painted neon colors (riders were in their 60's). Later while driving through Deadwood I find the sleds in a motel parking lot with "No more SD GFP hates snowmobilers" written on their hood with black marker.

And now for my dealings with a sled cop. I was 18 riding my SkiRoule RTX. It was not licensed (my father wouldnt know a sled license if it was stuck to his forehead). We usually ride on private property and occationally on a nearby frozen river. I was bored and decided to ride to a nearby small town. Got stopped by GFP in a chevy luv pickup. received a ticket for no snowmobile license.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
The only cops I have ever seen on a sled are our Troopers either in a village or checking on hunters/fishermen in popular areas. Our troopers are also the Fish and Game officers up here and they are few and far between. They usually stay on the road systems and wait for guys to return to their vehicles. It's not like we have a lot of roads so it's pretty easy to figure out where a person would return to.

J
Jul 21, 2008
Kirkland
Say NO to Sled Cops

Being a sled cop I could not resist chiming in. I will incude a few stories as a sled cop and one encounter I had in my young days with one.

I once wrote a citation to a Deadwood Taxi Cab that got stuck while driving on the snowmobile trail. Said he was lost.

Had a family with a two up sled that bunge corded a child safety seat onto the backrest to keep their toddler "safe" The safety seat was swinging wildly side to side on the rough moguled trail. Had to have a conversation about safely transporting childeren. Suprised the kid wasnt seasick.

Had to rescue a family from Austrailia in a rented PT cruiser stuck on the trail and had to spend the night.

Had a 4 foot male from Florida standing chest deep in snow franticly waving his arms and yelling for help. He had gone of trail with a rental 2-up by himself and got stuck. He was afraid he was going to be eaten by the animals. Got him unstuck and pointed him back to the lodge. The lodge operator had to rescue him 1 more time before he made it back.

Wrote tickets to a group from Missouri for no snowmobile license. They were riding old sleds rattle can painted neon colors (riders were in their 60's). Later while driving through Deadwood I find the sleds in a motel parking lot with "No more SD GFP hates snowmobilers" written on their hood with black marker.

And now for my dealings with a sled cop. I was 18 riding my SkiRoule RTX. It was not licensed (my father wouldnt know a sled license if it was stuck to his forehead). We usually ride on private property and occationally on a nearby frozen river. I was bored and decided to ride to a nearby small town. Got stopped by GFP in a chevy luv pickup. received a ticket for no snowmobile license.

Yeah, I am sure all of us sleds heads have had similar experiences with bizarre people, situations, etc. I personally have even saved a few peoples lives over the years and I'm NOT even a cop. Imagine that!

Part of the reason I snowmobile is to get away from people like you, no offence. It just another set of rules being jammed down your throat for what??? So I can feel safe from who exactly...??? the 60 year old riding their junk piles on the trail. Sorry man it just adds to the atmosphere.

As far as people doing stupid stuff on their snowmobiles with their kids what business is it of yours? I see stupid stuff every single time I ride. I see it in the parking lot before I start riding, after riding on the way home, etc.

You would be wise to read.

"You Commit Three Felonies a Day"
Laws have become too vague and the concept of intent has disappeared.

http://www.threefeloniesaday.com/Youtoo/tabid/86/Default.aspx

Law enforcement is more a construct of social control then a way of helping people.:face-icon-small-sad

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Yeah, I am sure all of us sleds heads have had similar experiences with bizarre people, situations, etc. I personally have even saved a few peoples lives over the years and I'm NOT even a cop. Imagine that!

Part of the reason I snowmobile is to get away from people like you, no offence. It just another set of rules being jammed down your throat for what??? So I can feel safe from who exactly...??? the 60 year old riding their junk piles on the trail. Sorry man it just adds to the atmosphere.

As far as people doing stupid stuff on their snowmobiles with their kids what business is it of yours? I see stupid stuff every single time I ride. I see it in the parking lot before I start riding, after riding on the way home, etc.

You would be wise to read.

"You Commit Three Felonies a Day"
Laws have become too vague and the concept of intent has disappeared.

http://www.threefeloniesaday.com/Youtoo/tabid/86/Default.aspx

Law enforcement is more a construct of social control then a way of helping people.:face-icon-small-sad

I will be the first to say it,,,,, your dumb and I hope for everyones sake you stay home!! That's my opinion and I will state it if I like

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT

You would be wise to read.....

Yea, what business is it of his if some idiotic family wants to strap their 18 month old kid to the back of their rented sled and lose the kid face down in a random snowbank somewhere on the trail. How dare he step up and help correct a possibly fatal situation. Those people wanted to kill their kid and this a-hole cop keeps infringing on their freedoms to be complete jacka$$es! WHAT A PRICK THIS GUY IS! FREAKING JACK BOOT THUG!

You know what man, you are the jerks that keep giving good community cops a bad name. Every cop to you is some high school dropout that used to be the star football captain and probably gave you swirlies in the girls bathroom for being such a whiney know it all. Yes, some cops are just mad at the world, but MOST are decent family men and women. I bet most of the FS Law Enforcement in my area don't particularly enjoy writing tickets, but guess what... it's their freaking job and most of the time they end up letting people off when the law says you deserve to be ticketed or worse.

If you want to change things then you are barking up the wrong tree, pal. Go talk to your congressman, senators, or local representatives and try to get the law changed.

Sorry for the rant!

Premium Features