• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

And then there were 2...

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
looks like the mountain sled segment is down to two serious contenders, the doo and poo. i know this will get all you four stroke riders panties in a bunch but the only place a four stroke shines is in weight and point and shoot. in the early 2000's this would be fine, sitting at the bottom of a bowl drinking beer with your buds going up and down the same hill all day was the sh!t. but riding styles have changed. a mt. sled needs to do much more than that. more aggresive technical riding is now what more mt. riders are looking to do. i know you guys can carve and tree ride easier and better than any light weight two stroke, but that is a world i don't live in.

sorry a/c guys but the pro climb has been an epic fail. with them loseing suzuki and surely going all 4 stroke next year, totally leaves them out. they left the 2 strokers out in the cold when they designed the pro climb. think if they had planned on keeping the 2 stroke this chassis would have went a totally different direction. which is a bummer having been brand loyal to them for 15 years. was really hoping thier new sled was gonna bring me back but ended being a big step back as far as what i'm looking for in a mt. sled.

as for yami, they haven't been in it for years, thier mentality has always been build one thing and then grow old with it. change is not in thier nature, and they are sticking to it. if they would have kept advancing every year they would probably still be in the market. but that was not to be.

so now we're down to 2, the poo which just has an unreal chassis. they have really listened to thier customers bringing lighter weight and user friendly improvements to the pro every year. right now they are hot and seem to be in tune with what peeps are now looking for in a mt. sled. one day hopefully they will get a more reliable engine together and be able to delivery the whole package. absolutely love this sled but wouldn't own one without a warranty.

that leaves the doo. where as the pro has what i consider to be the better chassis, which by far has the lightest weight, the doo is worlds ahead in engine technology. the etec is one sweet motor. what can you say about a motor that has industry leading hp, fuel mileage and oil consumption. you can let the thing sit and idle in your shop until it shuts itself down and still be smoke free. try doing that with any other 2 stroke. they have also been listening to thier customers improving the handleing of the xp every year. with the release of the xm this year they continue on improving the chassis. brp seems devoted to fighting for the number one spot, which is a win for everyone.

my only worry is how long will these 2 be able to carry on the 2 stroke banner. with the direct injection of the doo would think it would be able to pass emissions for several years to come. i hope that by the time they have come to the end of thier time the 4 strokes will have advanced far enough to be able to offer a competitive sled in hp/weight.

this is my opinion, my likes and dislikes. some will agree with me others will flame me. maybe someday we will all be able to get together and have a big group hug, until then:yo:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
as for yami, they haven't been in it for years, thier mentality has always been build one thing and then grow old with it. change is not in thier nature, and they are sticking to it. if they would have kept advancing every year they would probably still be in the market. but that was not to be.
You might be pleasantly surprised come March.....:face-icon-small-hap

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
i sure hope so! like i said 2 strokes aren't going to be around forever, between now and then someone needs to advance the 4 strokes. i look forward to the day that a 4 stroke can compete head to head with a 2 smoker in weight as well as hp.

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
You might be pleasantly surprised come March.....:face-icon-small-hap

Yeah, we've been hearing that for years from Yamaha. Let me guess, lighter power steering, factory turbo for another $5k and 4.5 lbs lighter. I want to the sled four-stroke to come around like it did in moto but it is not even close right now.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
you are going to have every cat guy in here screaming sandman...hoping all the manufacturers get after building badder sleds..we all win that way....

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
PLAEEEEESSSSSSEEEEE, Obviously you have never ridden a new Proclimb. Find it hard to believe Cat will only have 4 strokes. Just where does your factory insight come from?

Nobody has rode a new proclimb very far cause the belts keep breaking LOL:sad: sorry I just had to say it!!:bounce:

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
I agree with your posts for the most part.

I tend to be brand loyal and it just so happens it is Poo BUT, you come at me with a killer sled I dont care what brand it is I will switch. I welcome good competition it drives them to build a better product (all brands). Just imagine where we would be at if Doo didnt start the rider fwd chassis!!! With that said I hope AC and Yammi do come back with something it keeps all them pushing.

S
Nov 30, 2007
cda, idaho
you guys do realize that the pro climb was the second most bought sled in the country period last year right? i'm not a pro climb guy, but when you put out a sled and it is in the top 3 of all sled sales, im going to go with that ac isn't going away...

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
when climbing mountains last year it was doo and pc on top and 3rd was,
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
\l/
flickypoo.

akstormin

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2008
Eagle River, AK
I don't think AC is going away anytime soon. The Proclimb should be better this year and hopefully even more so in 2014. The two questions are: what happens when the Suzuki engine goes away? And how big will the gap btwn Polaris, Doo, and Cat get before Cat gets it crap together.

It will be very interesting to see where the engine technology goes in the next two years, as both Polaris and Cat are going to have to do something to meet the new regs.

I would love to believe a rumor about something new and exciting from Yamaha, but I'll have see it to believe it.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
when climbing mountains last year it was doo and pc on top and 3rd was,
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
\l/
flickypoo.
biler..you got to get out of the parking lot more....you have to know by now that the only poo riders who highmark in the parking lot are the wannna be cants....that is no way to be comparing your doo and burant like(oops..its Brett now huh?)riding abilities too now...

D

Dabull

Nov 26, 2007
utah
i was on the anti proclimb banwagon last year until edge motor sports let me demo one,now i own one :face-icon-small-hap awsome chasie,every sled has its pros and cons.you dont need to worry about cat they will be fine:face-icon-small-win

Premium Features