• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking of ditching my Pro for big Yami boost

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
Love my '11 Pro, but I'm bored with it. So predictable and handles so well. The only thing it can't do is bomb the Thunderstruck hills. Not interested in a two stroke Turbo, but the allure of big power and reliability leads me toward a TNytro. A bunch of guys seem rather willing to trade my stocker for their big dollar turbo. This scares me a little bit, because it must mean guys are getting sick of horsing their big Yami around. I'm just looking for something different; everybody is riding a Pro now. What input do you guys have about what I'm thinking of doing, and what to look for when shopping for a TNytro? From the limited research I've done so far, it sounds like I should look for an Impulse, but a closed loop is too much money for what I can trade. What else do these things need?

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Love my '11 Pro, but I'm bored with it. So predictable and handles so well. The only thing it can't do is bomb the Thunderstruck hills. Not interested in a two stroke Turbo, but the allure of big power and reliability leads me toward a TNytro. A bunch of guys seem rather willing to trade my stocker for their big dollar turbo. This scares me a little bit, because it must mean guys are getting sick of horsing their big Yami around. I'm just looking for something different; everybody is riding a Pro now. What input do you guys have about what I'm thinking of doing, and what to look for when shopping for a TNytro? From the limited research I've done so far, it sounds like I should look for an Impulse, but a closed loop is too much money for what I can trade. What else do these things need?

I wouldn't be nervous at all. If your looking to get into a done up yammi you are in the drivers seat. alot of these guys put a tonne of cash into there sled and at the end of the day can't recoup there cash out so trade and cash is the next option. make sure sled had setup done by reputable installer with good feedback, find one that has the most mods and looks good and your to go.

H
Dec 21, 2007
Hell, I would trade you. I love the horsepower. Just can't stand not so much the weight but the length and width of the track. I hate to say it but I prefer the feel of a stock 153 Nytro. I have a 12' PC 800 153 and that is the track length I like best. I would trade someones suspension and track, 153 x 15 EZ for my 162 x 16 EZ. I just hate the long track. It goes up hill and down hill really really well. I didn't realize how well the Nytro climbed until I climbed up this very steep but reletively short hill (M* would have to turn out 1/2 way up). Let off 25' before I wanted to turn out (No decent top to climb to), turned out and instantly had powder over the hood. Hardly any track was in the snow on the way up.

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
If you havent experienced a big hp yamaha I think its well worth a try. If you have your eyes on the big chutes they are second to none. Its kind of funny how you say your sled is predictable and maybe getting a little boring. A turbo yamaha is on the complete other end of the spectrum. Maybe a little unpredictable with the insane amount of power they make. Really for a lot of people Its not the weight but the power and harnessing it with the right suspension/boost/rider/ experience is key. For some its just to much to handle. Some get it and and learn how to tame the beast. Some don't.

C

canuck5

Aug 25, 2009
Sylvan Lake AB
Ive said it before and ill say it again go with an MCXpress kit I dont have one on my nytro but my old apex was flawless along with a nytro that a guy I ride with 10 times a year has. I personally have a Powderlites that has now been transformed into something closer to the MCX. Any of the kits PL, Alpine or Impulse that have Neils boost it kit are also good I dont like the impulse tank under my seat it is literally a PITA. There are lots of deals out there many guys with big cash into these sleds that either want the next best thing or like building them I dunno. These boosted engines on the yammies seem to last forever if treated right (octane). Learning experiences from me is change the chain on it every 1000-2000km we've had a few fail but both were pushing 20psi. I love my T-Nytro or 4 stroke boost in general. If you want a lighter feel stay away from the M-10 suspensions and 16 wide tracks.

yamiman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
ND
I just bought an impulse nytro, 5 hard days of riding and not one problem, every morning i just did the normal inspection. As arctic cat said there is still maintanence but I was very very impressed. The weight is there no doubt about that but when the snow gets deep is where these sleds shine and feel lighter and lighter. I can whip this thing around on the hill and still keep up with my buddies riding in the tight stuff.

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
I just bought an impulse nytro, 5 hard days of riding and not one problem, every morning i just did the normal inspection. As arctic cat said there is still maintanence but I was very very impressed. The weight is there no doubt about that but when the snow gets deep is where these sleds shine and feel lighter and lighter. I can whip this thing around on the hill and still keep up with my buddies riding in the tight stuff.

What sled did you come off of?

yamiman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
ND
nytro mcx 270 lol. In the group we had out in cooke city we had 3 pro rmks, 2 dragon rmks, 1 skidoo etec 800(loved this sled) I rode them all and each one had a high point that I liked, i really liked the skidoo but at the end of the day there was no way I would have traded my nytro for any of them. If the snow is deep you will really appreciate the nytro as it handles darn near as well as any of them. It just takes time to get used to the handling characteristics of the yamaha. The big power helps you get out of trouble sometimes too, or can get you into trouble lol.

yamiman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
ND
If you get an Impulse make sure you get the closed loop, after Paul helped me set it up its worked unreal!!

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
If you are looking for used, be careful you dont buy somebody else's headache.

Typically I tell guys to go after used MCX's but they can have issues too. Bad header, exhaust donuts, bellows, etc. Find out the history of the sled. Make sure it was built by a reputable dealer or builder. There are alot of good buys out there, definately a buyers market right now. I wouldn't be scared to buy an Alpine, Powderlites, or Impulse kit as long as it were put together properly. I would prefer to see Boost-It installed.

As for jumping ship, I wouldn't trade my sled for anything, or anyone's!! :face-icon-small-win

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2008
NW MT
If you havent experienced a big hp yamaha I think its well worth a try. If you have your eyes on the big chutes they are second to none. Its kind of funny how you say your sled is predictable and maybe getting a little boring. A turbo yamaha is on the complete other end of the spectrum. Maybe a little unpredictable with the insane amount of power they make. Really for a lot of people Its not the weight but the power and harnessing it with the right suspension/boost/rider/ experience is key. For some its just to much to handle. Some get it and and learn how to tame the beast. Some don't.

You nailed it Zeb. To be able to take 300hp and over 600lbs and make it do what you want, is awesome, and sometimes tiring. That's what I love about it though. Not many people can do it.

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
I found a Lincoln County Customs Impulse Nytro with 2300 miles that the guy wants to trade me straight up. I'm going to go ride it on Monday to see if I want to trade. NOT a closed loop sled. Pretty BA looking though.

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Coming from a guy that wants to go to a pro. I LOVE the boosted apex when the snow is deep. Wouldnt trade it for anything. It does tire me out on the not so good snow days but still a blast to ride. Im like everyone im sure. Would prefer to have a pro and a yammy but just plain cant afford both. Ive been on a Yammy now for a few years and now its just time for a change. Simple as that.

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Also most of the kits out there are good kits. They all have there little problems. I will say on an apex a powderlites kit with the boost-it makes it an AWESOME kit. If it were me if it wasnt an impulse with the standalone i wouldnt trade unless it had the Boost-it kit. As far as looking over the sled, check chaincase oil, maybe talk them into buying you a new chain, check drivers, and then the normal stuff like on any used sled.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
I just went to a TNytro and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Best sled I have had bar none.

I bought a used Nytro, mcxpress, 270 kit with turbo smart and I love it more and more each time I use it. Maintenence? none yet, besides checking things over.

Sorry, I lied, I had to replace drivers and my rear wheels as I lost a bearing in one. But the engine and turbo have run flawlessly.

I have had M1000(still have it)That I have had no luck with. I like, and have had a few good days on it, but I don't think it compares to the Nytro.

My MCx runs at 18# of boost, and like it has been said, nothing like having that kind of dependable HPto go up a chute, and being able to ride a machine like that.

Premium Features