• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

E-Tec Turbo

HM TURBOS

Premium Member
Nov 25, 2008
Lolo, MT
Just finished up the build on the new 2012 Ski-doo E-Tec with an Hm Turbos air-to-air inter-cooled turbo kit! We ran the sled Thursday at 5.5#s of boost, on 91 octane pump, with very good results, in Shane's words the sled "hauls the mail". We had about 35" of fresh heavy wet snow and the E-Tec worked flawlessly, even grinding through deep stuff in the trees and up some pretty nasty hills, it back shifts excellent with our clutch kit. Check out our website: hmturbos.com

A
Dec 19, 2011
befor i even read the replys to this topic i went right to hm turbos to see the new kit, but its not on there lol.

love the details, and some video etc hp numbers etc

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
looks like differences from garretts to the aero chargers... one thing that seams different is 3 pounds of boost makes 40hp over stock, yet 5lbs only makes a total of 50 hp over stock, but then 8lbs is 90hp over, not a even increase compared to boost. maybe a lack of turbo, or wrong housing

but still over all a nice hp increase with minimal boost, 240hp with 550lbs is a sweet power to weight ratio

have you heard of any issues gus that you keep mentioning the etorch, never heard of any burndowns from my end

check out Dynotech for REAL e torch turbo hp and boost numbers

Rocky

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
We had 10+ kits out there last year with no issues.. saw one with 1800 miles come in for the Doo 2011 update/piston recall and it looked perfect after running a hard 8lbs of boost out here in CO at high altitude climbing and deep powder abuse.

Local dealer, Felker Motorsports has over 30 new kits on 2012 Etecs this year with no issues...there are facts, and then there are people out East who claim to be in the know..on the keyboard that is.

It is very obvious if you've been on this forum at all, that Gus has "junk in his trunk" with Aero.. and only self-promotes his own "non E-torch", carb kits... Our proof here in the west is otherwise.

My 2 cents...So tired of the world according to "Gus" self proclaimed Doo tuning expert..For someone who claims to have ties to the factory.. it's amazing how much he puts down the Etec..the motor of our future, regardless.

At least there are some of us out West continuing to develop the Etec/direct injection turbo systems, as it fits our needs at altitude. We're not talking sea level drag racing in the East.

Last edited:

Rocky

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Gus,

No.... just calling a spade a spade. I am simply amazed that anytime there is a "Etec Turbo" discussion you take a shot at it.. no matter if it's an Aero, HM or anyone else.. Specifically, you took liberty to take a shot at HM Turbo's on here and hijacked their thread to let everyone know HP numbers a stupid comment about reliability.. I'm sure HM really appreciated your comments, when they created a post to promote their new kit. What right do you have to keep doing this?

It's obvious to everyone you have a bone with Aero and only like the Garrett setup.. We've seen your affection with the Boondocker kit that has never been delivered, still... btw, how's that goin' for ya ?

No alliance,, i don't even know Fred.. I ride a 2012 800 Etec Aero Turbo, along with about 40 others out here. Last year, I rode a 2011 with no issues. So far, they are the only ones to have a kit out there running in any considerable numbers, and the most BRP/Aero R&D development being done on a consistant basis.

Everyone knows when they see your posts, it's another.. "Gus the expert who hates Etec Turbos"...and oh by the way.. happens to sell carbed Garrett kits. Go figure.

You are so predictable. It's sad, cuz I'm told you have a lot of knowledge and expertise..but have your agendas.

Here's a video of my junker E-torch turbo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3ZcOjNGdK4

Last edited:

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Gus,

No.... just calling a spade a spade. I am simply amazed that anytime there is a "Etec Turbo" discussion you take a shot at it.. no matter if it's an Aero, HM or anyone else.. Specifically, you took liberty to take a shot at HM Turbo's on here and hijacked their thread to let everyone know HP numbers a stupid comment about reliability.. I'm sure HM really appreciated your comments, when they created a post to promote their new kit. What right do you have to keep doing this?

It's obvious to everyone you have a bone with Aero and only like the Garrett setup.. We've seen your affection with the Boondocker kit that has never been delivered, still... btw, how's that goin' for ya ?

No alliance,, i don't even know Fred.. I ride a 2012 800 Etec Aero Turbo, along with about 40 others out here. Last year, I rode a 2011 with no issues. So far, they are the only ones to have a kit out there running in any considerable numbers, and the most BRP/Aero R&D development being done on a consistant basis.

Everyone knows when they see your posts, it's another.. "Gus the expert who hates Etec Turbos"...and oh by the way.. happens to sell carbed Garrett kits. Go figure.

You are so predictable. It's sad, cuz I'm told you have a lot of knowledge and expertise..but have your agendas.

Here's a video of my junker E-torch turbo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3ZcOjNGdK4

I have to agree with you,Gus has a agenda.
From what I have seen and heard about your kits they are top notch,never seen anyone riding Gus's,seems he only rides a dyno.

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
Dyno

He only rides a Dyno. Thats funny 'cause he's all about how much time and money he spends on the Dyno. He can't give us any free info 'cause we don't pay for his Dyno runs!

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I don't blame gus on not always giving out free info. Their are lots of products out their that claim xx amount of hp and then come in way below that hp figure. Or cause a hp loss. He spent the time and $$$ to figure it out.
Their are those that give away that info for free. It is always nice when some one does that and it is apreciated. It is not expected though.
DTR is a great website. pay a yearly subscription and you can see all of his findings/experiance. He makes money from selling the yearly subscriptions. Paying the yearly subscription is alot cheaper then you spending your own time and $$$ to test things out.
I have never dynoed any of my snowmobiles. I have hundreds and hundreds of dyno runs on street bikes though over the years. Lots of suprises and lots of disapointments. Drag racing e.t. and MPH lets you know how things are working. unfortunatly you can not measure those gains or loses nearly as acurate on a snowmobile in the snow as you can on asphalt drag racing.

L

Love-n-Life

Nov 26, 2007
CO
Rocky, that was a very impressive video, your junker was smokin up that hill. It sounded spot on. I also agree with you about Gus, seems like he should be riding another brand of sled, as much bashing he does of skidoo products. Fact is the etec is here to stay.,,

Mod sled..... Lol

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
very true statment rocky. really not sure why these guys are so against the etec, and i also have seen kelysey type the same crap, maybe its hurting them where it hurts most... the pocket book

i really think these guys thought brp, or evenrude never tested this motor and it wreck waiting to happen, but now with guys pushing 4000 miles they are still running hard...

if the etec was a puss and the aero was that bad, i would be first to admit it, i really would, but so far smile after smile

Gus,

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
How much tuning or "after ride Maintenance" is required on the etec compared to the carbs?

Will my 09 chasis support the etec? Probably need a new ecm and electrics....what else? Is it even worth it?

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
there's a complete motor, exhaust, electrical everything for i beleave 3500.00 all new in P.G on kijiji shawn check it out.

G
Apr 23, 2008
lets see if the mod deletes this like my last ..

Fred, No not against the etech..not at all..

The Etech has not screwed me to the tune of 10,000 $..

Once you get that kind of treatment you will feel the same. and you will get that treatment, a leopard never changes its spots...ever.

Premium Features