• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Safety Bulletin BS201209 "Steering Linkage"

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Recall1.png

recall2.png

recall3.png

recall4.png

Last edited:
F
Nov 30, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
This picture from a stripped chassis gives a good idea of which bolt. It is the bolt on the upper right in the picture.
DSC01377.jpg
Some were not tightened enough to even catch the nyloc and had no bolt threads exposed past the nut. It is easy to verify by looking at that bolt.

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
I'm happier everyday that I decided to buy a borescope just to inspect some of these nooks and crannies. Costco - $150. Already used to inspect my oil lines, run wiring in my house, and now this.

H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
Checked mine on my turbo today it was fine. Took five minutes. I removed the five screws that attaches the small metal inspection plate on the belly pan turned the skis and I could inspect it good then.

Bilko

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2008
Cali
Does anybody know which sled this effects. 800, 1100, 1100T or Vertical or Laid back steering. Thanks

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Checked mine on my turbo today it was fine. Took five minutes. I removed the five screws that attaches the small metal inspection plate on the belly pan turned the skis and I could inspect it good then.
us with skid plated dont have it that easy- and this season you need a skid plate:face-icon-small-sho

S/C

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
cat paying .2 of a hour to have tech run the sled in from outside , pull the hood , get a light and check it , put the hood on , run it back out side , call the customer and bill cat. WOW !!!! They allow 12 minutes for that.

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
cat paying .2 of a hour to have tech run the sled in from outside , pull the hood , get a light and check it , put the hood on , run it back out side , call the customer and bill cat. WOW !!!! They allow 12 minutes for that.

unload off sled deck or trailer and reload too. Write work order record mileage etc etc. It's total nonsense and it's the same for all of my OEMs. If it ain't a street bike we can drive in and out we should get reasonable time for handling any vehicle that can not be driven in and out of the service bay. Start to finish for this job we will have an hour minimum in it. Talking to customer, getting unit in, completing repair, doing paperwork with customer and cat. Explaining repair to customer, reloading, and then finally tracking to make sure we get paid for our 12 minutes lol.

And while I'm on the subject...only Cat has bulletins that expire in a year. They can't do it with safety related but all the others expire. Other companies may do this but only Cat that I deal with) It is a defect and applies to the affected unit and should be covered by the person/company that caused the defect regardelss of when it shows up at the dealership. Why should a second hand owner have to pay to get recall work done because the original owner did not bring it in?

thanks,
Woody

Premium Features