• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mountain Addicition Gas Rack Install Pictures: Part 1

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
Started mounting my Mountain Addiction gas rack today. Because I have the fancy Arctic Cat tunnel bag that I posted the install for earlier, one of the gas rack rails needs to be mounted over the Heat Exchanger bump. Here's a picture of the Heat Exchanger bump:

2011-11-28_20-55-06_714.jpg

That's all fine and dandy except that the bottom of the gas rack rail is flat. They must have assumed you'd be mounting it directly behind the seat where there would have been enough room for both rails to be on a flat surface. Here's a picture showing how the the gap under the gas rack rail on one side of the Heat Exchanger bump:

2011-11-28_20-54-25_943.jpg

So, I needed to router out the middle section of the gas rack rail so that on the sides of the Heat Exchanger bump the rails would be flat, since that is where the bolts will be going to secure the rail. I started by making a crappy jig. The following is a picture of it: (Note that the bottom peice is a 2X8 that is there just to give clearance to the clamps. The actual jig is just two 2X4s clamped together with an offset. The offset is used to control the depth of the cut.)

2011-11-28_20-59-22_737.jpg

Here's a view with the router in place, my router bit is way too short, and the 2X4 is way too tall:

2011-11-28_20-59-56_599.jpg

I used a shelving support thing to bring the rail up so that the router bit would go about halfway through the rail:

2011-11-28_21-01-04_786.jpg

Before I started routing I added another clamp to hold the rail in place:

2011-11-28_21-05-32_79.jpg

When I actually did the routing I found that I needed to hold the un-clamped side of the rail in order to keep the router from grabbing the rail and cutting unevenly. I also found that supporting the router from only one side led to a rougher cut than I had hoped for.

Here's the rail on the back part of the Heat Exchanger bump, where the lower height of the bump allows the gas rack rail to now fit:

2011-11-28_21-24-04_468.jpg

As you can hopefully see in the following couple pictures, closer to the front of the Heat Exchanger bump the tunnel is sort of warped, and the cut I made is not nearly deep enough:

2011-11-28_21-24-20_9.jpg

2011-11-28_21-25-00_321.jpg

Tomorrow I'm hoping to finish up this project, including the actual mounting of the rails. I'm likely going to be putting a couple 2X4s in front of the jig to support both sides of the router. In addition, I'm also hoping to clamp both sides of the gas rack rail in the jig so that I don't have to have my fingers to close to the business end of the router. I'm also probably only going to make the center of the gas rack rail have a deeper cut, since near the sides of the Heat Exchanger bump the cut is the right depth.

Last edited:

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Thanks

Thats is looking sweet and I was going to use the same small seat bag also but decided it was alot to go thru when I ran into the same obsticals as you.. so I went another route-
I just thought that there was going to be alot of snow buildup behind my seat in front of the gas cans...
What say?

View attachment 156603

S/C

Last edited:

Boostfreak

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2002
Lander, Wyoming
Do you think the heat exchanger will keep it melted out fairly good? Mine seems to stay pretty clear but don't have a gas can yet.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
Thats is looking sweet and I was going to use the same small seat bag also but decided it was alot to go thru when I ran into the same obsticals as you.. so I went another route-
I just thought that there was going to be alot of snow buildup behind my seat in front of the gas cans...
What say?

View attachment 156603

S/C

That looks excellent as well. I have my heart set on that tunnel bag I have on there though. The way it form fits the seat and doesn't have straps all over the place seems really clean. The mountain addicition bags are good, but they don't really blend in with the sled unfortunately.

I sent an email to mountain addiction about what to do about the heat exchanger bump and they suggested putting washers under the rails. With thr way my tunnel is slightly warped I,d have to use about three washers, and they wouldn't match the white of the tunnel either.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
That looks excellent as well. I have my heart set on that tunnel bag I have on there though. The way it form fits the seat and doesn't have straps all over the place seems really clean. The mountain addicition bags are good, but they don't really blend in with the sled unfortunately.

I sent an email to mountain addiction about what to do about the heat exchanger bump and they suggested putting washers under the rails. With thr way my tunnel is slightly warped I,d have to use about three washers, and they wouldn't match the white of the tunnel either.

Yes i understand- but hope you can get into the tunnel bag- with the no storage- I had to go with a taller pouch in the rear- and mounted it so I still have room for one more when I take the family out for a blue bird day- and can carry even more if the need be...
Home Depot carries whte fiber washers that the heat/cold won't bther and should work well for what you after.... keep it up> looking clean..

S/C

thumper450

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
Started mounting my Mountain Addiction gas rack today. Because I have the fancy Arctic Cat tunnel bag that I posted the install for earlier, one of the gas rack rails needs to be mounted over the Heat Exchanger bump. Here's a picture of the Heat Exchanger bump:

2011-11-28_20-55-06_714.jpg

That's all fine and dandy except that the bottom of the gas rack rail is flat. They must have assumed you'd be mounting it directly behind the seat where there would have been enough room for both rails to be on a flat surface. Here's a picture showing how the the gap under the gas rack rail on one side of the Heat Exchanger bump:

2011-11-28_20-54-25_943.jpg

So, I needed to router out the middle section of the gas rack rail so that on the sides of the Heat Exchanger bump the rails would be flat, since that is where the bolts will be going to secure the rail. I started by making a crappy jig. The following is a picture of it: (Note that the bottom peice is a 2X8 that is there just to give clearance to the clamps. The actual jig is just two 2X4s clamped together with an offset. The offset is used to control the depth of the cut.)

2011-11-28_20-59-22_737.jpg

Here's a view with the router in place, my router bit is way too short, and the 2X4 is way too tall:

2011-11-28_20-59-56_599.jpg

I used a shelving support thing to bring the rail up so that the router bit would go about halfway through the rail:

2011-11-28_21-01-04_786.jpg

Before I started routing I added another clamp to hold the rail in place:

2011-11-28_21-05-32_79.jpg

When I actually did the routing I found that I needed to hold the un-clamped side of the rail in order to keep the router from grabbing the rail and cutting unevenly. I also found that supporting the router from only one side led to a rougher cut than I had hoped for.

Here's the rail on the back part of the Heat Exchanger bump, where the lower height of the bump allows the gas rack rail to now fit:

2011-11-28_21-24-04_468.jpg

As you can hopefully see in the following couple pictures, closer to the front of the Heat Exchanger bump the tunnel is sort of warped, and the cut I made is not nearly deep enough:

2011-11-28_21-24-20_9.jpg

2011-11-28_21-25-00_321.jpg

Tomorrow I'm hoping to finish up this project, including the actual mounting of the rails. I'm likely going to be putting a couple 2X4s in front of the jig to support both sides of the router. In addition, I'm also hoping to clamp both sides of the gas rack rail in the jig so that I don't have to have my fingers to close to the business end of the router. I'm also probably only going to make the center of the gas rack rail have a deeper cut, since near the sides of the Heat Exchanger bump the cut is the right depth.

Damn, that's alot of work ..... I used Nylon shims to take up gap worked perfect. Leslie has spacers for this as well.

Premium Features