• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Got the call, seized PTO piston, no oil!

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
Well went into see about my sled and looks like clutch side piston was scarred and the one that seized, and the other side had minimal scarring! They claimed there was no pre mix in the fuel and it looked like the oil lines going to the injectors were bone dry! Called the dealership that I got it from and they said they did put premix in and they guarantee that it was set up correctly as there lead tech has been arctic certified for 22years and worked soley for this dealership! The place that has the sled said they are not optimistic that AC will cover the warranty! I'm going to loose my mind if that's the case!

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
So I'm thinking air locked oil line or bad oil pump

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
If cat won't pay for it then your dealer has to. This is not your fault, and they cannot put the blame on you. Lawsuit if that's the case... Just don't see how it could fail that soon if you had the proper premix in the fuel tank.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Don't sweat it man. Cat will take care of you. I would take it to the dealer you got it from if that is an option and give them a chance to rectify the problem.

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
There you have it. I guess a couple of heat cycles did not even save it.:face-icon-small-ton My bad, i could not help myself.

I can not imagine the dealer not covering it. I am with Racinstation.

Sam

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
It WILL be covered....no way Cat or any dealer should even consider not covering this failure on a brand new sled. Whether it was the fault of Cat or the Dealer doesn't matter.
I would INSIST on an entire new crate engine, not just a piston/cylinder replacement.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
It WILL be covered....no way Cat or any dealer should even consider not covering this failure on a brand new sled. Whether it was the fault of Cat or the Dealer doesn't matter.
I would INSIST on an entire new crate engine, not just a piston/cylinder replacement.

Agreed. I the top end was starved for oil so were the bearings and seals.

Sled was likely heat cycled properly as that is most likely why at .8 miles it went down. I would almost imagine that at assembly it has enough oil to go .8 miles without seizing.

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
Like I said when I started it in my garage it filled the garage with smoke! Twice as much as my buddy's brand new pro siting next to it!

Place I got it from said no matter what happens they will take care of it ! So that makes me feel loads better!

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
I would want a whole new sled- that one is a lemon

what else did they miss when they built that one, ?

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana

X2 on that!

Like i said before, even if it's fixed it will always be in the back of your head.

One of my pickups was a $1,000 away from being totalled, a months after I bought it. Multi car pile-up at a stop light; I was in the middle of it and was not at fault. I argued with the insurance company to total it, no dice. Body shop did an awesome job fixing it up and you couldn't tell at all, but wow did it bug me everytime I drove that truck. Wished i would have put up a lot harder fight; ended up trading it off a lot sooner than I would have and it cost me in the end.

Best of luck man....keep us posted!!!!!

Last edited:

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Hard to believe it could be an oil failure with that few of miles, even with the heat cylcling especially if it was smoking(I don't buy it, just my opinion). If it is indeed oil related I wonder if it is because the oil tank is mounted so low in the chassis that it dont feed the pump correctly? Hope you get it fixed and back on the snow.

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Just talked to the dealer, piston and jugs just got here. Cat is convinced something went thru the motor? Piston cylinder clearance measured spot on so they are pulling the motor the rest of the way out and making sure nothin is in the bottom end. should be back by tuesday. Kee you all posted. Good luck HOOCH i bet you will be covered. BC, yours turn out ok? Any more trouble with it?

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
So as soon as I hear from them that will determine what's gonna happen! I'm going to be optimistic and hope everything is ok

M
Oct 1, 2009
X2 on the new engine.

I'm not sure on the cats but for the pro you can prime the oil lines by manually actuating the oil pump valve with a coat hanger when the engine is running to get the little bubbles out of the secondary lines (going to the oil injectors from the pump). I'm planning on doing this as I've seen little air pockets in my lines but no bubbles in the large line from the reservoir to the pump. It might be a good indicator if the line is plugged and needs attention.

C

Cat Bandit

Mar 4, 2009
X2 on the new engine.

I'm not sure on the cats but for the pro you can prime the oil lines by manually actuating the oil pump valve with a coat hanger when the engine is running to get the little bubbles out of the secondary lines (going to the oil injectors from the pump). I'm planning on doing this as I've seen little air pockets in my lines but no bubbles in the large line from the reservoir to the pump. It might be a good indicator if the line is plugged and needs attention.

I'm not sure on the new one, but I believe last year there was a mechanical link between the t bodies, and the oil pump...

B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho
I'm not sure on the new one, but I believe last year there was a mechanical link between the t bodies, and the oil pump...

They are hard linked... You could unhook the end from the oil pump and actuate while it was running but it is a real hoot to hook back up. There is not alot of room for your hands up in there.

B

barry1me

Mar 12, 2009
MI
please keep us updated with the outcome. I will also agree Cat will fix this for you.

Premium Features