• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ride report, good and bad...

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
well just got in from my first ride on the proclimb. spent a full day in valemount, mostly socked in all day but got some good breaks. great conditions about 2' fresh and maybe 6' total. put on approx 60km. first the good. I LOVE MY PROCLIMB! haha. ran flawless, great power, never had any issues with wet clutches or anything. mine is an early model so the hood contacts the pipe but had no sign of melting. the new 153 2.5'' track is amazing, climbed like hell, even higher than my buddies 1100 turbo 162. i switched from doo and im very happy with the switch. NOW THE BAD. my other buddy that was waiting for his 1100 to show but it hasnt yet so our dealer (we are good friends with him) gave him a '12 HCR 153 to use for the weekend. well it made it 1.7km up the trail when the motor went. one piston has great compression, the other nothing. not sure of the problem but both mine and that one were from the same place and mine ran flawless.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
hooch256- had same issue

rode his new proclimb and made it .08 miles and motor seized

Last edited:
I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Wow these stories are getting bad. Damn near afraid to start mine again. Can't believe someone hasn't pulled one apart and found the problem

M
Feb 27, 2010
we'll i hope none of those ones make it to bc.this weekend well be a good test.there should be atleast 10 new proclimbs in our goup.i'll have the only 1100turbo.i can't wait to see how it rides.i'll keep u posted

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Usually it's either the oil line needs to be bled better or they had an air bubble in the cooling system. It is not that uncommon and both the dealer and owner should be aware of this and look for these issues. The dealer has to have seen this many times before, most of them don't take the time to do a good prep job. Nothing new this year.

A
Jan 31, 2010
Usually it's either the oil line needs to be bled better or they had an air bubble in the cooling system. It is not that uncommon and both the dealer and owner should be aware of this and look for these issues. The dealer has to have seen this many times before, most of them don't take the time to do a good prep job. Nothing new this year.

Sorry, but you can't blame the owner if that is the case. When you pay $11,000 for a new snowmachine, you should be able to go ride it as soon as you pick it up. You don't pull a brand new truck apart when you buy it to make sure it is ready do you? I don't.

I am not saying that a person shouldn't go through a new snowmachine, just saying it should be ready to ride when you pick it up. So if there are air bubbles in the oil or coolant line then it is the MANUFACTURERS problem. Not the owners. And most dealer will not look for that either.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Any dealer who doesn't dump enuff oil in so that when the customer fills it with fuel it has a decent premix ratio is an idiot.
No owner should have to go looking for air bubbles. Pure dealer problem

C

camocat1000

Jan 30, 2010
Buffalo,MN
The air bubbles that are the problem are from the tank to the pump they cause a airlock and the motor will not get oil....Mix your first tank fill it will oil and make sure it is using oil ...now don't kill the messenger I'm just passing on the info I have been given.

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
Sounds like if they go boom it's in the first few miles, now that we have some snow I'd be putting some local miles on to make sure (with buddy along). Before heading to the hills.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
My bet is debris in the engine on these failures that are happening so quickly, or a cold seize. I had a plastic rivet in my air box. Thankfully I caught it before I rode it. I now have 50 miles on mine and my buddy has 100 miles on his. No issues to report thus far.

Last edited:

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
These problems the pc are having are not oiling issues IMO. A two stroke will run quite a while without oil, alot more than a mile or two. My thoughts are maybe a piston to cyl. wall clearance issue, just a guess. (Or maybe a polaris or skidoo employee went to work at tha cat factory and is sabotaging the engines just to try and even the stakes, since the cat engines have been bullet proof for years.):face-icon-small-ton

B

barry1me

Mar 12, 2009
MI
These problems the pc are having are not oiling issues IMO. A two stroke will run quite a while without oil, alot more than a mile or two. My thoughts are maybe a piston to cyl. wall clearance issue, just a guess. (Or maybe a polaris or skidoo employee went to work at tha cat factory and is sabotaging the engines just to try and even the stakes, since the cat engines have been bullet proof for years.):face-icon-small-ton

I agree. I have ran weedeaters, and a yamaha blaster(pre mix) with no oil in fuel and both ran for almost an hour before an issue. I will be these early failures will come back to a cylinder/port issue, something upstream getting into the combustion cylinder.

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado

Yep. I agree. Sure, oiling will cause an issue, but at .8 of a mile. I think not. Especially with oil in the fuel.

Sam

A
Jan 30, 2011
Palmer AK
Yep. I agree. Sure, oiling will cause an issue, but at .8 of a mile. I think not. Especially with oil in the fuel.

Sam

My uncle ran an M7 for 27 miles on a trip and used zero oil, engine had 600 miles on it. He stopped to compare oil use with his friends and his use was zero, He said the linkage was off. He hooked it up and ran 1300 more before he sold it. Ran it like he stole it every trip! I find the .8 mile and no oil reasoning hard to swallow as well.
This has been a great motor in the past but besides intake from the new chassis are there any significant parts, clearance, injector, clutching changes besides the new chain drive?

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
after working as a mechanic for the last 25 plus years there is no way a rivit screw bolt or anything else is going to make engines seize,they rattle bang knock punch holes but won,t seize these have to be lean or piston clearance issuses imo

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I had an RMK 700 I rebuilt the motor in once. Forgot to bleed the oil line before running it and it made it about 1 mile maybe before it seized. This really sucks on these new sleds to have so many go down this early. Hope cat figures this out soon.

Premium Features