• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Garrett 2860 -Or- 2871 ?

B

brian_moreau7

Nov 9, 2008
Guys,

Need Help with this... What are you guys running on your Race Gas M8's Garrett 2860? or the bigger 2871? What are the advantages? More Boost? More Lag?

Please Help

Thanks

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
You want a either a 2871 with a different housing (hybrid 2871) or a 2876, I still havent figured out which is better but both are far better than the regular 2871 and way better than the 2860 from the bottom up.

OVS sells the hybrid 2871 with there kit and twisted sells the 2876 with theres, I would talk to each of them.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
What about a billet wheel? For any of these 2860-2876 or even the 3071?

Will a billet wheel in a 2860 make the power and performance that a 2871?

G
Apr 23, 2008
What about a billet wheel? For any of these 2860-2876 or even the 3071?

Will a billet wheel in a 2860 make the power and performance that a 2871?

NO, your still not even close to the flow a two stroke turbo needs to have good response UNDER boost.

the polaris guys are smoking engines, using foolish programming all to UNDOO the wrong they have done with the tiny aero and 2860.. heat and no flow are the causes of funky fuel curves and bogs and lack of boost over 700 feet.

2876 and dont look back..

on the ice its even more off center.. a 2876 is OK for an 800 to 400 hp
3788 on the 1000 good to 600 hp
4204 on the 1200 cc to 1600 good to 1000 hp
multiple 3586s; on the bigger quads for the shaft wreckers !!! LOL

the 2871 wont be bad, just lack response off boost vs the 2876 and 5 psi less boost at higher alts..
ask Stanger,, NO bs real world riding.

Gus

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Most of my riding is at 9000 ft. I have rode three of Shane's sleds in the past and all of them had top end power that rocked! the low end on and off throttle like how I ride, sucked. Sucked in a big way! Bog, spatter, pop! With a hollow spot in the blip-blip-wot. It was like the sled was tuned for wide open hillclimbing at wot only.

Honestly, my current setup CPC stage 2 w/2860 and low gearing has been awesome! Much more ride-able then others I've tried. I'm not a chute slayer, I'd call my riding "free style mountain" zigzag up a huge slope using trees as slalom gates on the way up rather than shooting straight up. But with all this new talk about bigger is better, it has me thinking I need to feel what I'm missing. Maybe these bigger setups are now tune-able.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I have a twisted setup with a version of a 2871 that works great in the trees I run around 8-10lbs of boost because the riding I do you can't use much more than that. It is a little laggy on bottom (starting from idle) but if you are moving it is very responsive. Its not the 2871 hybrid either. Going off of what gus just stated I will prob go with a 2876, he knows his chit.

Acmtncat, you always argue stuff and then a few years later agree, I remember when you where nearly against boost all together. Whats the deal

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
I have a twisted setup with a version of a 2871 that works great in the trees I run around 8-10lbs of boost because the riding I do you can't use much more than that. It is a little laggy on bottom (starting from idle) but if you are moving it is very responsive. Its not the 2871 hybrid either. Going off of what gus just stated I will prob go with a 2876, he knows his chit.

Acmtncat, you always argue stuff and then a few years later agree, I remember when you where nearly against boost all together. Whats the deal

The deal is! I rode with guys that had turbos and not only did the turbos run like azz and the guys were always sitting tuning and dick'n around with the stupid things! But the guys couldn't ride them and when they did ride them, they would go straight up the hill and straight back down and tune again! Super gay! Gave me the impression that turbos sucked!:face-icon-small-sad

Also 3-4 years ago the turbo kits were not what they are today! Builders have learned what we as riders want from a turbo kit. I have a turbo that runs good and does amazing things and puts a huge smile on my face! Why do you care that I want more out of my sled? and I'm asking some questions trying to learn how to get more? Whats up with that? I have a feeling you just got burnt cuz I said that I rode some of Shane's sleds and they weren't setup for my style of riding! Oh and that I call bullsht on a Pro having more track on the ground!:face-icon-small-con

Wyo, you just found turbo this past year also and I see post after post of regurgitated info from you telling guys stuff this and that and I saw you asking questions just weeks ago about some of the same stuff. So really you have no idea if what your telling guys works or not. Whats up with that? Your a season turbo pro I guess??:face-icon-small-con

Last edited:
A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Oh yeah...! What was I arguing in my earlier post? Wyo

I don't see anything that resembles an argument. A doubt maybe that a 2876 is going to fit my style, but no argument!

What actual real info can you give me other than what gus has told you? I know gus has a good reputation of knowing his sht, and I know for a fact that stanger knows his sht. How many 2860's have you rode? What experience do you have comparing the 2860 to the 2876? What are the performance gains or losses on each and why do I want to go with the 2876?

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
The deal is! I rode with guys that had turbos and not only did the turbos run like azz and the guys were always sitting tuning and dick'n around with the stupid things! But the guys couldn't ride them and when they did ride them, they would go straight up the hill and straight back down and tune again! Super gay! Gave me the impression that turbos sucked!:face-icon-small-sad

Also 3-4 years ago the turbo kits were not what they are today! Builders have learned what we as riders want from a turbo kit. I have a turbo that runs good and does amazing things and puts a huge smile on my face! Why do you care that I want more out of my sled? and I'm asking some questions trying to learn how to get more? Whats up with that? I have a feeling you just got burnt cuz I said that I rode some of Shane's sleds and they weren't setup for my style of riding! Oh and that I call bullsht on a Pro having more track on the ground! could care less, its summer and something to talk about, you may be right on that, time will tell:face-icon-small-con

Wyo, you just found turbo this past year also and I see post after post of regurgitated info from you telling guys stuff this and that and I saw you asking questions just weeks ago about some of the same stuff. So really you have no idea if what your telling guys works or not. Whats up with that? Your a season turbo pro I guess??:face-icon-small-con

I'm just curious because it seems you have a set opinion on something and then it changes quite often, a lot of the time its opposite of what I have seen, thus the ???. If it is your way of asking questions thats fine, I was just curious so I asked you, rather than bash.
I had never seen any of shanes sleds run when you where bashing turbo's but had seen some other turbos that ran well, (all depended on who tuned them) I have also seen plenty of other turbos and heard from a lot of people what works and what doesn't. The only reason I didn't have one before was a money factor not that I thought less of them.

to address the you calling me out on telling someone something that I was asking about a few weeks ago, I have seen them perform but because one performs better than another does not mean its the bomb, it could be just a matter of the right setup and clutching. So I ask and get as much info as possible to clarify while being open minded that I may have been mislead or straight up wrong. In no way have I ever stated I am the turbo guru. Info also changes non stop with these things.:focus:

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Oh yeah...! What was I arguing in my earlier post? Wyo

I don't see anything that resembles an argument. A doubt maybe that a 2876 is going to fit my style, but no argument!

Many have stated the 2871 hybrid and the 2876 when setup right will out pull a 2860 off bottom and on top. some have even said the 2876 on a m8 will out pull a m1200 off bottom. My 2871 has out pulled the 2860 on the same year sled. It pulls harder on bottom running pg at low boost than it does on 12lbs with a mix of av and pg but even with the mix it still pulls pretty well off bottom and great after it starts spinning the track. As far as I can tell the others are a lot better than mine.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--I need more info on the 2871 Hybrid compared to the 2876. I am also very interested in the Tial external wastegate. I suppose the 2871 Hybrid allows for a quicker spool than a 2876, and the "Hybrid" compressor housing, etc. allows for the increased flow over a "standard" 2876.

--The Tial external wastegate is an easy sell to me

--Why not a Tial 2876 "standard" or "hybrid"?

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
What is a 2871 hybrid? Just cant keep up with all the new latest and greatest...I just got my new chra and it is a 2871....hmmmm....maybe should have exchanged it for the new latest and greatest 2876....who knows. Are the a/r #'s different?

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--Well, I guess that answers it. Forced Performance does not offer the HTA mod for the 2876, just the 2871(between these two sizes) so that is why only the 2871 is offered in the Hybrid version.

--I wonder how a Tial 2876 with the proper A/R housing would stack up against a Tial HTA 2871 Hybrid?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Ok, if I jump up the 2876 my low end is going to get worse / boggie / slower?
your bottom end is going to get better along with overall more power across the board.... the power becomes MUCH more linear and you will likely have less issues with fueling in the low throttle bliping situation, althought a lot of stupid stuff affects that besides just bigger turbos. Who has mapped the fuel box on the sled and who has tuned and clutched it also greatly affects how they can run on the bottom. seen plenty of turbo 2 strokes that run amazing on the top end but the bottom end is just as described, bogggg bogg hicup, etc. what you will find is that when you wack the throttle on a 2 stroke it needs a LOT of air volume as it doesnt have much vaccum to draw air in, so it gets rich and runs poorly off boost. bigger turbos are helping supply good volume at low boost... things like larger airboxes also help as well. again, its all more then just the turbo making it run right, but until this last season a lot of people(including myself) thought big turbos were only for big boost ##. after playing with some and stepping up in size I realized how much better they run.. i feel like 2860's are for 600's 2871's for 7's and 76's are for the 8's... going bigger and i dont know enough to say.

until you have taken the same sled and swapped up to a bigger turbo on it without changing anything(besides adding fuel for all the newfound air) you wont have as easy of a time beleiving it, but once you do... you wont go back.

obvisouly totally different situation, but great example, my dad bought a m7 with an 53 aero on it which up until the last few years was kinda standard sled turbo sizing and was thought to be awsome. it ran alright but the bottom end sucked awfully and the power was terribly on/off, top end wasnt anything to brag about as well. put a 2860 on the thing(got it way cheap from a friend) and the thing already is way smoother throughout the entire powerband and pulls the same clutching at 3# lower boost...

Last edited:
A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
So the main performance difference between the 2860 and 2876 is going to be a more linear boost and stronger top end with the 2876? I'll have to go to a bigger diameter charge tube also? And then up my fuel across the board or just in the bottom end?

Thanks! for the input skidooin.

Last edited:
Premium Features