• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Battle Gear Part 2

J
Jul 21, 2008
Kirkland
Last year I asked for this thread some advice on protective riding gear. I bought some stuff from 661. I very happy with my Coresaver chest/back protection but the Comp/Knee guards are a bust.

No matter what I wear or how I mount/tie/tape I can't get these things to stay in place. I smashed my knee cap better bad once slipping off my side rail. I can know predict rain:face-icon-small-ton

Looking for any advice on a stable knee/shin protection that stays in place during boondocking type riding. Up/down, all around all day.

Thought about in pant knee stuff from Klim but most riders have not wholeheartedly endorsed.

THOUGHTS?? I am open to any advice on elbows/shoulders/knees etc.

Cheers

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
lady friend of mine just got a set of fox ones for dirtbiking and they have some pretty sick X straps on them and wont move at all all day. she loves em, and always seems to get hurt, and somehow they keep her knee's safe so they do there job well. ill check into which ones they are.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I've had these exact ones for about 10 years now.
Love em, but the elastic is toast. Looking for something new.
32243d1287130848-universal-riding-gears-thread-fox-shin-guard.jpg

Maybe like these?
launch%20kneeshin.jpg

As for other padding, I wear this. I like it a lot.
http://www.klimusa.com/catalog/Armor/Protection,121.htm
It's got a built-in riding chamois....it's very nice for your saddle.
If you ever wear riding shorts for mtn biking or road biking, you'll appreciate these.
I don't feel crack sweat all day long like when wearing other stuff.

18-224-Catalog_Image.jpg

And I never ride without my tekvest.
DSC00711.jpg

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
I've had these exact ones for about 10 years now.
Love em, but the elastic is toast. Looking for something new.
32243d1287130848-universal-riding-gears-thread-fox-shin-guard.jpg

Maybe like these?
launch%20kneeshin.jpg

As for other padding, I wear this. I like it a lot.
http://www.klimusa.com/catalog/Armor/Protection,121.htm
It's got a built-in riding chamois....it's very nice for your saddle.
If you ever wear riding shorts for mtn biking or road biking, you'll appreciate these.
I don't feel crack sweat all day long like when wearing other stuff.

18-224-Catalog_Image.jpg

And I never ride without my tekvest.
DSC00711.jpg

Well no wonder your a knee basher

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Yeah, it's that finger track that hooks up so well and goes so FAST that it gets me into amazing places.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
I wore the Asterisk Cell knee braces riding all last season. They stay in place very well once you get a hang of tightening them properly. The only downside is they wear your legs out if you are kneeling or sitting on the ground wrenching for a while with them on. They are spendy, but worth it to me not having smashed shins, and busted up knees.
asterisk-cell-knee-brace.jpg

D

Dmill

Sep 14, 2009
great falls / snow slip inn
wow i never realized people wore this stuff snowmobiling... a tek vest every once and a while but knee pads and what not seems like a lot of extra weight.. snow is soft enough when you wreck. i have fxr bibs with padding in the knees and thats as much as i need.. smashed my knees a few times this year on a couple good drops enough to protect me there.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
wow i never realized people wore this stuff snowmobiling... a tek vest every once and a while but knee pads and what not seems like a lot of extra weight.. snow is soft enough when you wreck. i have fxr bibs with padding in the knees and thats as much as i need.. smashed my knees a few times this year on a couple good drops enough to protect me there.

Ya gotta ride hard...then you'll know. :face-icon-small-ton

Ya it only takes once to make you start wearing them. They are really light weight and after wearing them for years I feel naked without them. I've broken side panels/consoles on sleds with my knees and since I was wearing my knee protection didn't even notice it til the day was over. Besides hitting my knees on the actual sled they are very helpful while boondocking in tight trees if you hang a leg off the sled.

I was under the impression that the asterisk braces were more of a brace than a pad, designed to prevent hyperextension or lateral/side to side torqueing of the knee. Would love to have a pair but i'll wait til after I get a serious knee injury before I invest...

As far as the tekvest goes, after breaking a sternum and ribs I will never ride again without one, plus it acts as an extra layer for warmth.

Last edited:
F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
SixSixOne Rap Knee/Shin Guards Armor and Pads

Nice and flexible for riders who are up and down and back and forth across the seat a lot, or maybe even get stuck every once in a while:)

Last edited:
F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008

On riding without the gear... After you break a couple ribs jumping or have to rehab a knee from doing drops you may change your mind, or just learn from stupid guys like me and spend a few hundred bucks and save yourself the trouble!

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
I was under the impression that the asterisk braces were more of a brace than a pad, designed to prevent hyperextension or lateral/side to side torqueing of the knee. Would love to have a pair but i'll wait til after I get a serious knee injury before I invest...

They are more of a brace, but they also do a great job protecting the knee cap, and shin from impacts. I have some gouges in them from the running boards that I am happy are there instead of in my shins.....

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
They are more of a brace, but they also do a great job protecting the knee cap, and shin from impacts.
I have some gouges in them from the running boards that I am happy are there instead of in my shins.....

Do you use these because of a previous injury? I tore a couple of ligaments in my left knee and need something like these to ride this year. Where did you find them?

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO

Its not the snow I am worried about!

my Knee pads weigh less than a # add another for my tekvest....thats some extra weight I can deal with. Staples and stiches are alot lighter but certainly extra weight you really don't want to deal with!

Its not the snow I am worried about!

my Knee pads weigh less than a # add another for my tekvest....thats some extra weight I can deal with. Staples and stiches are alot lighter but certainly extra weight you really don't want to deal with!

I figure in your case since your recent weight loss plan that with knee pads and a tekvest your probably just about balanced out...sorry, couldn't resist. Hope your healing up fast.

D

Dmill

Sep 14, 2009
great falls / snow slip inn
guess im not riding hard enough... but there isnt a drop or jump i dont try, ive had my wrecks... busted my ribs up real good on a drop last year... i could understand the tek vest.

Premium Features