• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can I keep it???

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Can I keep it??, My Proclimb review

Sorry this took so long but I was riding all weekend, I have my priorities :face-icon-small-hap

So I was one of the lucky few that got to ride the 2012 Cat mountain sleds, I am not a writer so take it easy on me please:loco:, but I will try to give you a feel for the new 2012 Proclinb.

My personnel ride: 2011M8 162 SP stock with can, I have owned 5 M series sleds, it fits me and I have a great dealer so I have been on Cat for awhile

I got to play with them for about 3 hours, we had a mixture of engineering mules and pre production units (PP), and a stock 2011 M8 153, it was cool to look over the mules and see the progress of these things, the fit and finish of the pre production units was very good for a early unit. All sleds had Float 2 shocks except HCR

Snow was holding up very well, and they got a little fresh the night before

They had some in the shop with the bodies off and I watched them put one together, it only took him a few minutes to put all 3 panels on, the guy said they are very easy to work on out on the trail.
So I rode the 2011 M8 153 half way in on the whooped out goat trails and that really gave me a chance to compare them later, half way in I switched to the PP 1100T HCR with conventional steering, I really wanted to see what this would do so every time I found some room I was spooling her up! WOW the 1100T is for real, a real WOW sled, big power fasted sled I have ever been on very fun power, but…….it did have the conventional steering and I just can’t get used to that, I am a stand up rider and it just fought with me in the trees, hated it on the goat trail but only because of the steering.

Rode into the play area and saw a big hill with nice fresh powder, pointed the HCR at the hill and held on, WOW went up way to fast with skis 4 feet in the air right over the top, did that a few times and the raw power was addicting but I needed to share so I traded for the PP M800 162 Vertical steering.

PP M800 162 Vertical steering., Ahh, this sled felt nice, very finished and the bars were perfect, landed right in your hands, spent about ½ hour playing on this, went right over the hill with skis in the air, no problem, went and found some tight trees to play in, I was throwing this thing around effortlessly if I want to turn I stepped on that running board and it turned instantly, just like my 2011 M8 only more precise, no push and the steering is so easy it felt like it had power steering compared the 2011 M

Traded for a Mule M800 153 Vertical steering, another nice sled just not as nice as the PP unit, went back in the trees again and was having a ball, wore myself out so went down for a break.

Had a break and talked to engineers about the steering on the 4 strokes, after I rested a bit the Engineer suggested I try the mule 1100T , they had one engineering mule 1100T with a prototype vertical post setup and 38 wide a arms, so I took that out and right away I could tell it was different, totally different beast set up this way, can't be compared to the 1100 HCR I rode with conventional steering, that one felt way heavier and fought me, this one was very fun and felt lighter, amazing what a difference the bars make and that turbo power put a smile on my face that is still there 2 days later.

Traded for another mule M800 162 and went looking for fresh trees to bash, I was really getting used to this new chassis now, very fun sleds very precise steering very easy steering, very easy to toss around once you got used to them.

It was time to go so they gathered us up, somebody wanted the mule M800 so I traded for the PP M800 162 again, my favorite sled, we headed out on that goat trail that beat the crap out of me riding the 2011 M8 that morning, different story now, these new sleds are just flat awesome banging down those whooped out trails, WOW I was jumping off the whoops banging around corners and it did everything I asked, no push in the corners at all, very precise steering

I was really loving this sled already so when the engineer stopped to let others catch up I asked him if I could take this one home, he just laughed and said he didn’t think that was possible.

Summery:
Chassis, very ridge and precise, feet are flat in foot well so no more smashed toes, stand on sled and it just feel right, this is the sled I have been waiting for.

Vertical steering: very nice, my choice for standing, bars land right in the hands, adjustable post does not come toward you anymore as you pull bars up, there position does not change just height, as for them being to tall! They are adjustable aren’t they?

1100T: WOW, big power, sounds very nice, very throaty exhaust and the turbo chirp, you know you love it yes it a bit heavy but with Vertical steering I could enjoy this sled a lot, if I had the money to own 2 sleds I would have one of these, really

M800: my favorite, what can I say, it has the best engine in the industry and now it has a new home, I was worried when I learned they were messing with my M sled but not anymore, I rode my M8 today, it took me 4 hours to feel at home on there again, really, the new sled just feels right, very nice balance without losing the good traits of old M

Conclusion, I will snow check a 2012 M800 SP

Last edited:

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I guess you’re going to ask so…….no it didn’t feel like a Pro, No it didn’t feel like a XP, it felt like a very refined snowmobile, a very refined M series snowmobile

They said they have been riding this sled for 3 years now and some of the test mules I saw prove that, they didn’t rush into this.:wave:

Ohh, and understand there are some questions I just cant answer and I didn't see everything, so if I dont answer your question please understand, thank you

2011-03-18_08-30-41_639.jpg 2011-03-18_08-29-35_721.jpg 2011-03-18_10-41-56_35.jpg 2011-03-18_10-41-39_20.jpg 2011-03-18_10-41-34_589.jpg

Last edited:
M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
I just want to know how you swung this and I couldnt swing this...Have tons of friends and none could get me on these things...

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
great write up!

So you are going with the m8 b/c of the flickability factor, b/c of the weight, or price?

You liked the m8 even better than the vert post/38"1100t?

I checked my own m8 today :nod: and unfortunately don't have enough green to even consider the 1100t....but I hope they don't get the vert post/38" stance done in time for production so next winter I don't wish I coulda/woulda got the 1100t.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I chose a M8 for the same reason I have one now, it is just so flickable in the trees, just hard to beat for the riding I like to do, I am not a climber I am a boondocker I guess:face-icon-small-coo

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
One thing I have noticed on the new machines is the front skiis. They are flattened out in the front like the PRO and a set of Slydogs. The std AC skiis are raked up too far like a plow! I bet a set of these skiis will improve a std '11 or earlier sled. The rear suspension looks the same except for the skid frame. I bet the new shocks will improve the ride on the '11 and earlier sleds. I do like the look of the new sleds and feel it will be a worthy competitor since they have been testing for 3 yrs. Did you happen to look at the drive train? Lightweight jackshaft, brake mounted on driveshaft? Look like a std. chaincase?

Thanks for the review
Mike

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
I chose a M8 for the same reason I have one now, it is just so flickable in the trees, just hard to beat for the riding I like to do, I am not a climber I am a boondocker I guess:face-icon-small-coo

Did you get to ride the M11T in the trees at all? atleast the vertical steering one with 38"?

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Did you get to ride the M11T in the trees at all? atleast the vertical steering one with 38"?

yes, I rode it in some of the same trees, I am sure a guy could get used to the slight weight increase you feel on that sled, its a very fun sled, I really didnt think I would like it at all but I did, I just prefer the 800 2 stroke

but man that power was nice, we were up at about 8500-9000 I guess and WOW, 177 HP is fun

the M800 just fit my style better:face-icon-small-coo

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I believe the 38 in stance would be a 2013 change but not really sure, I am sure the aftermarket will work on this

Skinner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
Good write-up. Damn you should of headed a little west and let me take it for a spin:D

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I'm sure a 800 would be the better choice for 80% of the riding I like but the lure of that factory installed power is some powerful bait!

yeah, its a tough choice for some, the weight is there for sure but they did a good job hiding it, and they sound awesome, hope the sound makes it to production:face-icon-small-coo

D

dragon12

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
How does the M800 sled sidehill? Does it pull over easy into the hill and hold a line without washing out?

People who ride the Poo Pro say it makes them a better rider almost instantly. They could do things on their pro that they couldn't do on their previous sled. They also say they aren't as beat down by the end of the day. In your opinion, will the M800 make a cat rider better? Is it the game changer to the M chassis that the pro was to the dragon chassis?

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
How does the M800 sled sidehill? Does it pull over easy into the hill and hold a line without washing out?

People who ride the Poo Pro say it makes them a better rider almost instantly. They could do things on their pro that they couldn't do on their previous sled. They also say they aren't as beat down by the end of the day. In your opinion, will the M800 make a cat rider better? Is it the game changer to the M chassis that the pro was to the dragon chassis?

I dont want to turn this into a brand bashing thread but I will agree that the Pro was a game changer for the Polaris folks but not for mountain sleds in general, the 2005 M7 was the game changer for mountain sleds and how to ride them, just my opinion of course

my opinion is that I have ridden the Pro, XP, M series and Proclimb this year

I prefer the Proclimb M800

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada

very good write up Dam Dave....awesome... thank you!
if theres anything else you can recall....let us know....example... chain case,jack shaft,clutching ...like others have stated!
i am 100% sold on the new chassis...and yes your write up helped...but not in the proclimb...rather... in the procross XF 800 High Country with the 141/2.25 track.
i am unfortunately north east of you with alot less elevation....but deep snow.
i am coming off of a 2010 Crossfire 800H.O. sno pro le.....i love your statement...they have the motor and now it has a home....well put....are you sure your not a writer...lol
will be snow checking shortly...thanks

D

dragon12

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I dont want to turn this into a brand bashing thread but I will agree that the Pro was a game changer for the Polaris folks but not for mountain sleds in general, the 2005 M7 was the game changer for mountain sleds and how to ride them, just my opinion of course

my opinion is that I have ridden the Pro, XP, M series and Proclimb this year

I prefer the Proclimb M800

Not at all trying to make it a bash. I am on the fence right now deciding which way to jump. I was just wondering if the new M800 is that much better in the conditions you rode yesterday than our current M's. You did mention the whooped out trail conditions it was way better. In deep powder and trees was it night and day different/better from our M's?

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately some of us are going to need to base our decisions on the opinions of others as we will not get a test ride of our own.

H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
Same answer we got yesterday when we asked our Cat engineer "How long have you been testing this chassis"? 3 years.:nod:

Last edited:

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Not at all trying to make it a bash. I am on the fence right now deciding which way to jump. I was just wondering if the new M800 is that much better in the conditions you rode yesterday than our current M's. You did mention the whooped out trail conditions it was way better. In deep powder and trees was it night and day different/better from our M's?

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately some of us are going to need to base our decisions on the opinions of others as we will not get a test ride of our own.

Hard to answer that for someone else, but i could instantly ride it well, it was more fun than my M

Premium Features