• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fixing the footwell Blues

mike taylor

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
pow Country CO
I got tired of kicking snow at my $180 belts.
Here is the cure. Vents and more vents.
I have templates,and vents made.
pm me if you would like info.

Stock foot well
IMG_20110122_161901.jpg

My foot wells

IMG_20110122_161453.jpg

IMG_20110122_161335.jpg

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
By watching how exhaust smoke and snow piled up on the running board gets blown outwards on the area marked, I think the goodness of the block-off might have undesired side effects. I've marked up the pic to illustrate my observations. Anywho, a hole right at the toe stop would go a long way for snow removal without kicking it into the clutches.

footrest un-vent.jpg

mike taylor

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
pow Country CO
By watching how exhaust smoke and snow piled up on the running board gets blown outwards on the area marked, I think the goodness of the block-off might have undesired side effects. I've marked up the pic to illustrate my observations. Anywho, a hole right at the toe stop would go a long way for snow removal without kicking it into the clutches.

Rick,
Good point but the vents are plastic and cover 99%. (the two areas you marked air in and air out Are Blocked By the Round frameTube.)
The main problem was snow pilling up front,to clear it you would kick forward shoving snow into all those openings thus slipping your belt.
All bare Alumn. will freeze wet snow thus all the chunks.
Just like Better boards coating, And all the vinyl wraps.With these vents the snow falls out NO MORE KICKING :face-icon-small-hap
just ask my buddies :lol:

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Rick!

If this is the pic of your sled... I noticed that you have no aftermarket venting.

By watching how exhaust smoke and snow piled up on the running board gets blown outwards on the area marked, I think the goodness of the block-off might have undesired side effects.

With just the factory "ducting" on the sled... I can see where cutting back on this area of limited airflow can see where you are talking about the Possible "undesired effects".... but as Mike points out... those areas are mostly covered by the steering hoop/board-support tubing.

The exhaust smoke moving around those areas that you observed is probably from the very weak eddy-air-currents created by the spinning primary, since the sled is not actually moving a that point.... and none of the air that might move in the engine bay from the factory design is actually flowing through that area... just the "fan effect" of the spinning primary that goes away once the secondary starts spinning and the sled starts to move.

I believe that Mike is spot-on with his design.

With aftermarket venting on the sled...I see the possible undesired side effects being negated... to the point to where the stock airflow strategy no longer matters.

attachment.php

attachment.php
IMG_20110122_161901.jpg

Last edited:

mike taylor

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
pow Country CO
Rick!

If this is the pic of your sled... I noticed that you have no aftermarket venting.

With just the factory "ducting" on the sled... I can see where cutting back on this area of limited airflow can see where you are talking about the Possible "undesired effects".... but as Mike points out... those areas are mostly covered by the steering hoop/board-support tubing.

The exhaust smoke moving around those areas that you observed is probably from the very weak eddy-air-currents created by the spinning primary, since the sled is not actually moving a that point.... and none of the air that might move in the engine bay from the factory design is actually flowing through that area... just the "fan effect" of the spinning primary that goes away once the secondary starts spinning and the sled starts to move.

I believe that Mike is spot-on with his design.

With aftermarket venting on the sled...I see the possible undesired side effects being negated... to the point to where the stock airflow strategy no longer matters.

attachment.php

attachment.php
IMG_20110122_161901.jpg
Thanks Eric,
These vents will be ready to ship this week. (I have super sneaky prototypes) I made this first set
prices undecided.
frames are made of abs plastic
mesh is the same as all xxxmodrod vents
no modificatins drill and poprivet inplace
please contact brad xxxmodrod,com
if you you would like to try this diy send me three bucks and i will send you a paper template
Thanks Mike Taylor

mike taylor

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
pow Country CO
Going to Rabbit ears tommarow, will take side by side comparison photos of my boards VS stock :camera:
gotta preaty good idea as to which will have less snow.:face-icon-small-hap
God I love to ride my pro! :heart:

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Mike I have a pretty good idea as well!:D:D Ain't it funny how naysayers just handicap themselves! I guess what you don't know that there is something "BETTER" it doesn't really hurt you as is. he heh

If you guys want to run a combo that really evacuates the snow from that footwell section BUT DOESN"T RISK STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY take your plastic and roll it into the Better Boards right up to the first evacuation hole. Rivet it into the boards creating a sloped ramp for the snow to get out without hanging up. Any shelf catches snow and starts the buildup. You have to have a balance of strength and performance. Cut your hole too close the front of the footwell structure for evacuation and you'll be buying a new tunnel assembly. (if you live through the crash)

mike taylor

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
pow Country CO
Looked at that option,ROB
but didnt like to make the footwell smaller. I did not make any bigger front hole,as you said didnt want lose integrity.
And here is are side by side after pics.
4 sleds same day,two one 09 dragon,1 proride.(better boards)
2 pro rides stock running boards. deep in the trees of colorado.
Lets just say my running boards work as good as the new pro ride :face-icon-small-hap

Thanks Bryan and Brad, XXXmodrod vents rock. This footwell plate worked flawlesly. No Snow sticking and freezing,and no KICKING :cheer2:
IMG_20110125_165619.jpg

IMG_20110125_165328.jpg

NOW MINE :face-icon-small-hap
IMG_20110125_165442.jpg

IMG_20110125_165433.jpg

And No ROB did not help in any way setting up the shot. :lol:

mike taylor

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
pow Country CO
Looked at that option,ROB
but didnt like to make the footwell smaller. I did not make any bigger front hole,as you said didnt want lose integrity.
And here is are side by side after pics.
4 sleds same day,two one 09 dragon,1 proride.(better boards)
2 pro rides stock running boards. deep in the trees of colorado.
Lets just say my running boards work as good as the new pro ride :face-icon-small-hap

Thanks Bryan and Brad, XXXmodrod vents rock. This footwell plate worked flawlesly. No Snow sticking and freezing,and no KICKING :cheer2:
IMG_20110125_165619.jpg

IMG_20110125_165328.jpg

NOW MINE :face-icon-small-hap
IMG_20110125_165442.jpg

IMG_20110125_165433.jpg

And No ROB did not help in any way setting up the shot. :lol:

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Mike it looks like you might have piled on extra snow... and then got a heat gun to form the ice.....left it on the stocker overnight.... and then plus you had to kick and clean the Better Boards really really really good. (read that in your best Derek Zoolander voice) :D:D:D

How many times does your foot slip off the side of your PRO when you are really getting after it in the deep and heavy? Do you have to kick and scrape after a couple of turns or narly sidehill to prep for the next move?

So with your new block off plate you didn't have any issues and you didn't blow belts any more often then you did prior to the install? (we know that is correct) So that means you must have experienced no excessive heat at a minimum and obviously no more snow build up in the clutch compartment. The kicker...you didn't even have to reinvent the wheel. Simply put on a block plate and Better Boards and walla. IT's BETTER. WOW! Weirdly but that is exactly how aftermarket stuff is supposed to work.:D

Premium Features