• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RMK / Assault - need input & advice

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Okay guys, I’ve done some searching and have come across limited input on the question at hand. Been looking serious at the new Pro RMK and Pro Assault and I’m having difficulties in deciding which one would be better.

I’m a flatlander that heads west a couple times of year and rides around here when I can. When we ride around here, try to avoid the groomed trails and stick to back country and the ditches filled with snow. I enjoy all aspects of mountain riding, boondocking, climbing, and some cornice drops but nothing to crazy, at least not yet :face-icon-small-win.

I’ve had RMKs in the past with upgraded shocks, along with other accessories and they worked great for here and the mountains.

When I first saw the Pro Assault I was like……Holy ****, that’s it!!! Now after doing some research, I’m a little unsure. I know the general consensus is that the Assault track is digging machine and should be used to dig trenches to bury cable but the shocks and the wider adjustable stance have some benefits.

So does setting up the best “all around” mountain / flatland sled start with the Pro Assault or the Pro RMK??????

Pro Assault with a different track???????????? If so suggestions?

Or Pro RMK with different shocks??????????? If so suggestions?

Or screw it and buy one or the other as is and leave it alone????

Finally, let me give a big thank you in advance for any and all advice. I’m thinking there will be others pondering the same question.

Last edited:
T

threeamigoes

Jan 5, 2011
best sled

I just sold my 09 assault an amazing sled to ride on the prairies in saskatchewan, the track REALLY HOOKS UP and is fun to ride , it is a little slower to ride if you want to drag race your buddies switchback. the better shocks are good for the hard drifts we get and the ditchbanging. the assault is a fun sled to drive with a 144 track
my 2011 pro rmk is awsome to ride but the new geometry design is for sidehilling and climbing and manouverability, IT FREAKIN ROCKS IN THE MOUNTAINS WITH 2 TO 3 FEET OF POWDER

think about your riding you do the majority of the time

an assault will be excellent in the prairies and ok in the powder
an rmk will be excellent in the mountains and ok in the prairies

my suggestion is ride the assault cuz you can ride it at home everyday and REALLY ENJOY IT , the rmk is designed for the mountains ....not the crappy snow conditions we get in the prairies

you can ride the assault in the mountains you just might not highmark with the new pro

that is my thoughts ...good luck in your decision

I

icemanmg

Jan 18, 2009
In the same boat as u are....When I snowcheck one this spring it will be my sled for for at least 5 years.

tyb57

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2010
MN/WI
I bought the new assault. I have had snow cross sleds for the last few years and took them out west and was sick getting stuck non stop. I love huge jumps but was always afraid if i got a long track i would be bending rails.
Then I saw the video with randy sherman airing it out huge on an assault 155, I was sold. I also read in one of the magazines this fall that the assault was about 15 lbs. heavier due to track shocks and reinforcments in the chassis.
Now I'm in the same boat as everybody else with the track. I have found that for around $400 you can find a 5.1 series track. I doubt you would be able to find a set of shock for that price. So my opinion is you can have the best all around sled for less with the assault.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I've actually been leaning more towards the Assault and then making a track change, but any thoughts on the difference in front end widths??? How much is a guy going to sacrifice on side hilling with the Assault? I assume most of the guys that go with the Assault also change the front mounting on the suspension as well?

A

allpowersports

Assault did it for me :)

I've actually been leaning more towards the Assault and then making a track change, but any thoughts on the difference in front end widths??? How much is a guy going to sacrifice on side hilling with the Assault? I assume most of the guys that go with the Assault also change the front mounting on the suspension as well?
The 5.1 is superior in the really fluffy stuff but the moment it sets just a bit the assault track hooks up like crazy. The assault track is trenching much more in the fluff but my one is still taking me to all the places I want and to some I places I shouldent ;)
As for side hilling I don't think you will notice any bigger differences, it still side hills better than my M7.
I am really pleased with my RMK Assault for an all-round machine, if we only would have the super deep all winter long I would have gone for a regular pro rmk.
You are going to be super please no matter which one you choose, it will put a huge smile on you.
But that is just my 2c and personal preferences.

A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
I put 2500 miles on an '09 Assault, and have 420 miles on a 2011 PRO RMK.

The '09 Assault was 90% better than any other sled I have run in 10% of the conditions I rode in. The track is really snow specific, ran great in early snow conditions when you could trench down to dirt, and get some hook-up. And it excelled in set-up spring snow and could go-anywhere in hero snow. And the shocks I put on (IQR Needles) and the wide front end made this one hell of a high speed cross-country sled. But all the months and rides in between that I found it lacking. Again this was the IQ Assault, the PRO is most definitely a different beast.

The PRO RMK is 100% better than any sled I have rode in 90% of the conditions I ride in. This chassis is phenomenal. I don't regret giving up the shock package to go with the RMK, and it's narrower front end is only noticeable in the fact that it carve exponentially better than the IQ Assault did. And I don't miss the Assault Competition Track, I don't believe stretching it from 146 to 155 could have helped that much.

My .02

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Did you say the best all around mountain/flatland sled? Mountain and flatland in the same sentence? Haha. Just kidding.

For what you are doing I would go with the assault.

Yah I know mountain / flatland really don't go together does it, but like many others I'm not in the market for two sleds. The wife is understanding with all my other toys but I may just being pushing it with that request!!! :face-icon-small-sho

How about the guys with Assaults, is the general consensus to go with the Polaris 2.4 or something else????

Last edited:
S
Jan 27, 2010
I had an '09 Assault with the stock track and only had a chance to ride in spring snow - worked great!

I now have an '11 Assault and have ordered a CE to put on for fluffy stuff - used the stock for one early trip (three days). OK results but saw lots of comments recommending the CE so am going that route (and adding a turbo:biggrin1:).

Great sled - have fun!

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Keep the thoughts coming, I know I'm not the only one pondering this.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
save some money from the start, buy the standard RMK, then put different shocks on it and not worry about ripping your rear bumper off. there really isn't any signifigant reason to spend more money on the Pro if you ever plan on changing things on it in my opinion. Thats whay I did and I ride it around home in North Dakota.

S

snopro_ac

Oct 17, 2009
i went with the pro, i wanted the lightness, and the narrowness, shocks are easy to upgrade and needle shocks are pretty cheap compared to the fox or exit shocks if that was what you wanted to upgrade to.

P
Jan 17, 2010
Hazen, ND
I went with the Assault. Also from North Dakota and make it to the Mountains only a time or two per year. I love my assault, around here it can't be touched with our snow! I am considering changing the track on it but don't think i will because i cant justify it with only the amount of time i spend in the mountains, and it is still far more than capable out west too.

on a side note....an 11' Assault RMK won some ND drags the other day, closest race was about 6 sled lengths!:face-icon-small-coo! don't know what was all done for upgrades, i only know of clutch work.

Premium Features