• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Possible Primary Clutch Bad Roller Fix?

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
I was going through my clutches today and getting them ready, and ended up finding one roller bearing that is shot in my primary. I know there are different billet spiders you can get and of course new take-off clutches you can buy but was curious what else could be done for another one of AC's brilliant engineering stunts and making us buy a new spider for a ridiculous amount of money. I am wondering if a guy can use the roller bearings out of an older Cat sled like a 2000 Powder Special from back when they were replaceable? Don't think a guy would need new rollers if they are in good shape and cleaned well, but just the bearing inside them. They are only $13 a piece! Repairing all three would only be $39. Part number for them is 0646-272. I would almost bet $100 that these would work just fine. Anybody ever done any experimenting with this? I usually blow my clutches out 2-3 times a season with compressed air, but am thinking it will happen more often from now on..........

Aaron

Last edited:

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
I was going through my clutches today and getting them ready, and ended up finding one roller bearing that is shot in my primary. I know there are different billet spiders you can get and of course new take-off clutches you can buy but was curious what else could be done for another one of AC's brilliant engineering stunts and making us buy a new spider for a ridiculous amount of money. I am wondering if a guy can use the roller bearings out of an older Cat sled like a 2000 Powder Special from back when they were replaceable? Don't think a guy would need new rollers if they are in good shape and cleaned well, but just the bearing inside them. They are only $13 a piece! Repairing all three would only be $39. Part number for them is 0646-272. I would almost bet $100 that these would work just fine. Anybody ever done any experimenting with this? I usually blow my clutches out 2-3 times a season with compressed air, but am thinking it will happen more often from now on..........

Aaron

I don't believe it is possible to buy OEM parts for the clutch, I'm basing this off of them giving me a new clutch because of a bad cover bushing.

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
I know you can't buy parts for them because they want you to spend more money. But........if they are the same diameter, there is no reason they shouldn't work! Its very simple in there. It is a pin with a bearing over it and then the roller over the bearing. I'm going to order 3 of them and try them. I need to shim it anyways. I will update this thread.

rollerbearings.jpg

Aaron

Last edited:

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
I know you can't buy parts for them because they want you to spend more money. But........if they are the same diameter, there is no reason they shouldn't work! Its very simple in there. It is a pin with a bearing over it and then the roller over the bearing. I'm going to order 3 of them and try them. I need to shim it anyways. I will update this thread.

aaron

Sorry, was not commenting on if they would work, Just b*tching about Cats parts marketing.

On mine I was able to find a bushing out of a earlier model "I think a 02" that would have fit, then Cat gave me a new clutch.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
You don't have much to lose by trying it. Getting the spider off is the tough part. Green loctite and a lot of torque. You need the torch and a lot of pull, then hope you don't pull the threads with it!

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
Hey Aaron,

did mine in the spring. You can buy a whole kit..pins, bushings, rollers, slide buttons for under $100.00 and yes they are from 2000...T-cat etc will fit. Good vise and you've got it made.Terry

So they are the exact same diameter as the newer ones? I new there was a way around this buying a new spider or clutch for $250-400. Do you have any idea what the part number was for that kit? Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

Aaron

PS Can you leave the clutch on the sled and just wedge it to break it loose? I will for sure use some heat right on the nut.

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
I found it. Part number #0746-090 is the complete kit to replace the rollers in our newer style clutches. Babbitt's has it for $124. I will PM Michelle and get one coming. Thanks again Terry.......Always a better way than they lead you to believe.

Aaron

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
Do yourself a favor and let a dealer break the spider lose and torque it back up...best $30.00 I spent, they have the tools and if they strip anything it's their dime to repair.

907riders.com

Mar 23, 2009
Wasilla, AK
www.907riders.com
You don't have much to lose by trying it. Getting the spider off is the tough part. Green loctite and a lot of torque. You need the torch and a lot of pull, then hope you don't pull the threads with it!

Removing the spider is not that difficult.. Heat the spider to 375-400 then remove it.. The loctite liquefies at about 350 degrees...

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
The pins and rollers I have out of a 98 powerspecial were smaller diameter pins so I could not use them. ?? My Tcat clutch is sitting on the shelve and I think its the same 9 tower that was on the 98 powder special. Pls let me know as I have a complete clutch that need rollers. thx

Engine Pro 5x

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2009
KANSAS
I did the parts search and made the parts list of items needed to fix the clutch on our M/6. When I reached $290.00 worth of parts to fix a 3000 mile clutch I surrendered !!! A phone call to R/V Sports and problem solved. For $362.00 to my door, I replaced the entire clutch, one of the hardest working items on the sled !!! >>>>.

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
I did the parts search and made the parts list of items needed to fix the clutch on our M/6. When I reached $290.00 worth of parts to fix a 3000 mile clutch I surrendered !!! A phone call to R/V Sports and problem solved. For $362.00 to my door, I replaced the entire clutch, one of the hardest working items on the sled !!! >>>>.

Did you read the entire post here? You can't do a parts search for your M6 and show these parts separated out. If you just need new rollers in the spider, it is part #0746-090 and $124 from Babbitts. You obviously were looking at the price of a new spider, etc which is what this post is all about.

Aaron

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Just so we are clear , we still can not buy rollers for these clutches right ?

R

realbass

Feb 3, 2009
Russia, Krasnoyarsk
If you just need new rollers in the spider, it is part #0746-090
Aaron
Hi Guys!

0746-090
The latest part that replaces this item is:
0746-118 SPIDER, ASSY-MACH

I did install 0746-115 SPIDER and it come only at ->09' M8
I bought 0746-115 spider and installed it at '09 drive clutch easy, but when i tried to install it at '10 drive clutch i encountered with trouble.
Threaded connection is different.
'09 clutch has inch size thread
'10 clutch has metric dimension thread
Do you have any advices?
May be anybody know what is the difference between 0746-118 and 0746-115?
Need p/n spider for using at '10-'12 M8.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Premium Features