• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

one last question on apex clutching please

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
here is what i have andwhat i changed to, it originally had
bwb primary spring
60g base supertips
4 washers in heel
4 washers in mid
2 pucks in tip

black with white mark on it yamaha secondary spring
shockwave helix wound right in. no shims in primary=bd turbo running 13-15psi stock gearing=============================================

this is what i changed it to

bwb primary spring
60g base supertips
4 washers in heel
6washers in mid
i puck and 1 washer in tip

now my question is which spring in secondary? i am either going to run the epi purple in
3-0 does this sound right? thanks 2 turns out on shockwave
does this primary setup look like it should be close at 13-15psi and if i run a green snopro secondary spring at 3-0 and the shockwave about 2 turns out???????
i rids at 6-7000ft also im guessing this is going to be a little light on the tip with the epi purple or cat green.

with previous setup it would not pull rpm on full throttle and drag it down if held pinned, if i turn up the boost to compensate it would just make the belt squeel real bad, i run approx 13-15psi on a apex bd turbo. with 162 maverick track. any help would be appreciated asap.. thanks

Last edited:

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Once you get rectifited let us know how it rips. I just about bought a boondocker setup, and went with the mcxpress again.

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
Once you get rectifited let us know how it rips. I just about bought a boondocker setup, and went with the mcxpress again.

hey man how are you doing? the bd turbo system hauls i ran it at 14psi this weekend and it ran like a top, no bog or turbo lag, nothing. i love it and when i get the clutching RECTIFIED it will be even more of a blast to ride, it pulling 9-9800rpm cant be making all its power potential.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
i'm running a supertips and shockwave setup just on a N/A apex and had similiar problems this weekend. look into changin your roller size and going smaller. play with your weights till u can get rpm then start turning your helix in till its not holdin the belt and makin it squeal. trial and error is the best. i found gettin the primary set then working on the secondary gave me quickest results. and make sure u change one part of clutching at a time and then try. if u change multiple things at once it can bring u back to start again.

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
thanks roughrider i would like to get my primary close to what i would need, the secondary i can deal with myself, i just dont want to drive 5 hrs again to have it not pull rpm again or worse over rev and hit the rev limiter. thanks

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
also if ur gettin some belt slip and turning in the secondary doesn;t fix that try going smaller rollers. as for secondary try your current spring wound as tight as you can. build your self a tool kit with the wrenches and sockets, springs, and weights you need. i found that it really doesn;t take long to switch setups and i got couple tools for taking the clutch apart. have your secondary cranked in also when you start out so that your over revving fairly easy on the trail then u can adjust from there. my experience is that if the sled over revs on the trail up then its usually just right by the time u hit the hill. Lemme know what ya find out, this clutching has been quite the learning curve for me.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Try this.

BWB/ 60grams with two tungsten in the heel.

White Yammy spring/ shockwave turned out 1.25 turns.

If you are over revving a little from there, add two washers in the middle.

This will work and it will rock!

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
Try this.

BWB/ 60grams with two tungsten in the heel.

White Yammy spring/ shockwave turned out 1.25 turns.

If you are over revving a little from there, add two washers in the middle.

This will work and it will rock!

wont this make the low end a bit lazy and back shift slower?? i tried this on another apex and the track speed suffered a bit ,did you notice this? i put 1 puck in the tip with 1 washer with the epi spring at 30 degrees and shochwave at 2 turns out ill try that if it still doesnt work ill go your route, thanks for your input.

Premium Features