• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

3 post vs 4 post

T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
I run a Twisted RG turbo at 12+ really now running 14+ with the 174. I have a 3 post in there and Shain said 3 post is better for belt life but a bunch of other people told me different. Generally we know that Shain knows his stuff on these sleds but anyway I want to get a little more educated. What are your thoughts on 4 post vs 3 post for belt life, rideability etc? TIA

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
I stuffed all my rubber mount holes with high temp RTV, it takes a bit of work to get the air out of the pocket….but its worth it. Now my engine will hardly move at idle, bit difference. 600 or more miles and the RTV has slightly cracked from the rubber mount itself, but the silly holes are still filled with material that keeps the engine from moving so much, be it under load or idle

The better question is “whats so different between the m1k and m8”?…clutching has been redone and redone, nothing left here, im guessing the bigger engine moves too much….so, maybe add a engine mount next the tq stopper somehow????

I met a couple dudes who say they don’t have belt problems on their TM1000….both those dudes don’t ride hard.

T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
Agreed Hatch. I know a guy who has a 1200 who has been on the same belt all year and then I went out with him and see why. According to Shain I am "hard on stuff" but I wouldn't have it any other way

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Andrew, the three arm clutch will inherently have better grab on the lower end where you have most belt slippage. This is the reason most every sled manufacturer makes three arm clutches.
What we need is a more aggressive weight so we dont need to throw as much weight to keep our rpm in check. I wonder how good the curve is with the STM weights. I know the Yammy's work great with their weights. I personally think these D&D weights are mediocre at best. We need a much larger curve.......

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
JSCC, im with ya:face-icon-small-hap

trimmed some weight (4) times on a stocker this year, the tuneability is nuts and much more then i thought it would be...not sure we have enough season left to change/grind weights for the turbo sled??

CISC0

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2010
PNW=WA
powerquest

I got some adjustable weights from powerquest that have worked great on my 3 post. TM1000 RG.

S

SnowDevil

Nov 26, 2007
Portland
I played with both on the Tm1000 and what I found was the 3 post has a better bottum end and the 4 has better mid and much better top. On a good running 1000 I had 97 gram weights and need more and couldnt find any so thats where the 4 post comes in. In the trees the 3 post is more fun but on big pull its all 4 post.

G
Apr 23, 2008
My guys swing 105 gram STM x series ( no notch ) weights in a 3 weight on an 800 rg twin.

Suffice to say the weight bushings and clutch don't like it for very long..

the 1000 rg doo (sorry cat guys ) swing 440 grams ( same x series no nothch) @ 25 psi.. so a 3 weight is not feasible.

I like the 3 just for the tip mass, ( thats what makes the seat of the pants pull that leads you to belive the 4 arm is not as fast or responsive..........>>but shimmed properly and weighted properly the 4 weight will outperform the 3 arm top to bottom with much less belt heat ..but should isn't does for everyone...:brokenheart:

Yes I run cat driven as well as micro belmont drives on ALL my doo turbos..

Gus

Last edited:
J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
My guys swing 105 gram STM x series ( no notch ) weights in a 3 weight on an 800 rg twin.

Suffice to say the weight bushings and clutch don't like it for very long..

the 1000 rg doo (sorry cat guys ) swing 440 grams ( same x series no nothch) @ 25 psi.. so a 3 weight is not feasible.

I like the 3 just for the tip mass, ( thats what makes the seat of the pants pull that leads you to belive the 4 arm is not as fast or responsive..........>>but shimmed properly and weighted properly the 4 weight will outperform the 3 arm top to bottom with much less belt heat ..but should isn't does for everyone...:brokenheart:

Yes I run cat driven as well as micro belmont drives on ALL my doo turbos..

Gus

So suffice to say that if you are needing 105 grams of weight to tame a 800 that the STM weights are not as aggressive as the D&D Weights? Specially since you are swinging them at a higher rpm?

I still do not believe a four arm will hang with a three arm on the bottom end......but I have been proven wrong before so.....?

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
JSCC, im with ya:face-icon-small-hap

trimmed some weight (4) times on a stocker this year, the tuneability is nuts and much more then i thought it would be...not sure we have enough season left to change/grind weights for the turbo sled??

Hatchers, where were you trimming the weight from? I think we need a larger hump through the center section to make it work good.....

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
Hatchers, where were you trimming the weight from? I think we need a larger hump through the center section to make it work good.....

i removed most of the weight down low with little change....some weight lose in middle made it wake up a bit.....then i removed almost 2 grams from the tip, good lord she gets up to full Rs very quick and holds them very well......sure this should all be tyical knowledge, but doing it myself was fun

and it also tells me we should not be buys some magic weights, drind it till you find it......but the dalton weight is wider and means you have more meat to work with, but the heaviest they got and start grinding

Premium Features