• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

IQ Stripped Chain Case Plug....Another Fix

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Found another possible fix for the chain case plug that always strips out.

The problem looks like this

Pics001-1.jpg

2 potential fixes, Napa Part # 704-1011 is a 1/2" 2 oversize self tapping plug. Napa part # 704-1019 is the same size 2 over with an internal drain plug incorporated.

Pics007-1.jpg

You can actually pull the smaller threaded plug from now on instead of trusting the aluminum threads in the case

Pics009-1.jpg

Pics013.jpg

Looks like this installed

Pics015.jpg

Pics017.jpg

I think I will JB Weld it in if I like the looks of it in the sled underneath. The pics are not shown with gasket or cranked in. I didn't like the hard plastic gasket that came with the plug, I'll switch to a fiber, brass crush, or o-ring type when I goop it in.

Pics018.jpg

Note: I haven't seen how this looks in the sled and if there are any clearance or hang down issues, but on the bench it looks to be another possibility. EW

Last edited:

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
Found another possible fix for the chain case plug that always strips out.

The problem looks like this

Pics001-1.jpg

2 potential fixes, Napa Part # 704-1011 is a 1/2" 2 oversize self tapping plug. Napa part # 704-1019 is the same size 2 over with an internal drain plug incorporated.

Pics007-1.jpg

You can actually pull the smaller threaded plug from now on instead of trusting the aluminum threads in the case

Pics009-1.jpg

Pics013.jpg

Looks like this installed

Pics015.jpg

Pics017.jpg

I think I will JB Weld it in if I like the looks of it in the sled underneath. The pics are not shown with gasket or cranked in. I didn't like the hard plastic gasket that came with the plug, I'll switch to a fiber, brass crush, or o-ring type when I goop it in.

Pics018.jpg

Note: I haven't seen how this looks in the sled and if there are any clearance or hang down issues, but on the bench it looks to be another possibility. EW

I stripped mine out of my Fusion a few years back and tapped it with a pipe tap (maybe 3/8 npt) and put a regular pipe plug in and it held up great! Good post.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Good job Eric. The only reason I didn't go with the inner removal kind was because I was a little leary about it sticking down too far and getting smacked by something (tree, etc.) probably wouldn't ever happen.

I used the 1 size over, self tapping drain plug size 14mm by 1.5 part number for the self tapping drain plug from NAPA is 704-1362 and lists for $3.67

I ran the self tapping plug in to make threads, removed it, blew out the aluminum, installed loc-tite or anerobic sealant and installed. Made nice threads and takes good torque. I've now installed 3 in the 07-09 IQ chaincases.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Dave:

I looked at the 1 over 14mm today and it was way long. I think I would have had to trim some threads to keep from hitting the inner casting. I remember using 2 of them last year but the current stock at 2 different Napa's in that part number was much longer than I remember. Have you bought that part number lately or has it been a while.

One of the napa guys says they change things up once in a while. I'm wondering if the 1 over 14mmx1.5 in the shorter thread is still out there. I'll keep looking around.

As soon as i have a chance I'll mount up the piggy back drain in a sled and see how it looks underneath. I'll post up some pics. EW

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Dave:

I looked at the 1 over 14mm today and it was way long. I think I would have had to trim some threads to keep from hitting the inner casting. I remember using 2 of them last year but the current stock at 2 different Napa's in that part number was much longer than I remember. Have you bought that part number lately or has it been a while.

One of the napa guys says they change things up once in a while. I'm wondering if the 1 over 14mmx1.5 in the shorter thread is still out there. I'll keep looking around.

As soon as i have a chance I'll mount up the piggy back drain in a sled and see how it looks underneath. I'll post up some pics. EW

I also was concerned with the thread length of the plug, however it is just enough to not cause problems. When installed into the chaincase housing, There is about a .030 gap between the edge of the plug (beginning) and the casting wall on the rear side of the housing. If it was any longer, you're correct, it might be too long.

Knowing that the drain plug hole is/was 9/16" when I was at Napa, I was thinking that the 1/2" 2nd oversize may be a little to small. If you've verified that it'll make good thread and work well, then I'd use that one.

I've used 3 of the 14mm 1 size over plugs now and they work REAL good. The main thing is at least we have a good solid fix for a cheesy problem.

Premium Features