• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch grinding at low rpms

I
Alright fellas here it is. I got an 02 mtn cat 800 efi le 151 and I took her out for the first ride after replacing bearings, rebuilding the shocks and typical skid maintanance. Well all was good at first and then after a brief rest went to take off again and clutch started grinding real hard and got damn hot. Then I gave her the berrys and grinding went away at higher rpms. So I did it again and sure enough same thing. But if I just punched it the grinding wasn't there. So needless to say I kept her pinned for the day. Took both clutches off and nothing too bad stands out. Just wondering if it is a spring issue or what you fellas thought?? Any ideas would be very appreciated I like the ole girl and wanna keep her for awhile.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Did you do a really good inspection of the spider and the rollers?

If you rode it the rest of the day I don't think it is a spider problem. They typically make it a couple miles then they are done.

Did you pull your rear skid out? If so any chance you didn't get the rear suspension back in correctly. I forget the name but part of the rear scissors mechanism that holds the shock next to the track can be installed and flipped over. When this happens it will hit the track. If you pulled the skid you might take a look.

Thunder

R
Nov 21, 2009
West Fargo, ND
I believe that your clutch alignment is off, the reason for the heat build-up. Take a good look at the inside of your spider, if the weight bolts and bushings are bad the weights will rib and remove material from the underside of your spider.

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
I have experienced something similar when the secondary would not backshift all the way at a stop. Next time you hear it stop right away and see if the belt is all the way to the top of the secondary. If not, either your belt is too tight or you have a binding problem in the secondary.

I
Thanks for the info fellas. :beer;I'm gonna put in some new springs new cam arm pins and bushings and realign clutches and go from there. I'll be hopefully taking her out this weekend to see if the bugs are worked out.

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
I once had one of the bushings in the secondary clutch start working loose and binding some so that it would not shift completely back into low starting position. That makes the belt loose and it will slip and make a nasty growling chattering noise until you get shifted up a ways. It was hard to find, but like the previous post says, I would look there if your belt is not all the way at the top of the pulley when you are stopped.

I
Thanks Idacatman2 .Yep that might be the ticket I had bushing that was fairly chewed up on my secondary. That noise kinda makes the stomach turn:face-icon-small-sho. Hopefully thats it. I guess It was time for a thorough inspection Again.

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
As bad as the noise sounds it is only the belt slipping. If you had one bushing bad the other is too.

Premium Features