• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

10 m8 oil tank cross thread

S

skimike

Dec 21, 2009
bakersfield
is anyone else having this problem. the neck of my oil tank is egg shaped causing the cap to cross thread and not seal properly
IMG_7226.jpg

IMG_7224.jpg

rlt504

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Rapid City SD
Happened on my 09 but my 10 is good. They added a shield on the 10 to keep it from getting hot. Call your dealer and get a new one ordered they were back ordered last year.

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
I had the same thing happen to my mine. The heat off the pipe deformed the oil bottle. I fixed mine by heating it up with a heat gun and reforming it to were the lid would go on agian. I still need to add more venting.

Jason

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Wont help the threads but don't fill the tank to the top and it wont leak, there is no need to fill the tank that much, I keep mine down a couple of inches so it wont make a mess if I end up wrong side up:D

S

sled-fiend

Nov 27, 2006
Victoria, BC
www.raintek.ca
Wont help the threads but don't fill the tank to the top and it wont leak, there is no need to fill the tank that much, I keep mine down a couple of inches so it wont make a mess if I end up wrong side up:D

Not true, after riding 10k of whopped out trail back to the truck last ride I had oil everywhere. That was with maybe a quarter tank of oil left. When the jug is warped like that it sneaks through the threads pretty easy.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Not true, after riding 10k of whopped out trail back to the truck last ride I had oil everywhere. That was with maybe a quarter tank of oil left. When the jug is warped like that it sneaks through the threads pretty easy.

OK, but its less likely to leak if its not full

S

skimike

Dec 21, 2009
bakersfield
right after I posted this I did this same thing I got the heat gun out and a c clamp and heated it up and got it round again then I swapped caps off my 1m sled and now everything is fine. this is something I will keep a close eye on. now if my right handwarmer would start working again Id be tops. the dealer is a 250 mile round trip away and then I would have to leave the sled because they dont stock parts and I just dont want to do that in the middle of riding season. it would suck leaving my sled for weeks at a time so I will have to wait for the off season for warranty repairs. thanks for the replies. -m-
I had the same thing happen to my mine. The heat off the pipe deformed the oil bottle. I fixed mine by heating it up with a heat gun and reforming it to were the lid would go on agian. I still need to add more venting.

Jason

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
go to dootalk at the top of the forums page, look under shopping. then look under stuff by dootalkers, scroll down you are looking for oil tank inserts by DAN03REV. he appears to have these for the cats too. this was a problem for doo and he came up with a great fix that is cheap, and works. for 15.00 shipped, you can fix it and not have to worry about the dealer or replacing your tanks. i dont know him from adam, i just saw this there a long time ago, and lots of people are happy with his fix. thought we cat people might benefit from the help there.

also, mine did this from day one when i brought it home, i swapped caps from my 09 m8 to my wifes, and vise versa and my cross threading issue went away. so some caps and resiviors dont like one another it appears. also make sure you dont have the cap cocked when tightening, and dont over tighten especially, when warm. this is where i have found these caps and resiviors to have the biggest issue with one another.

good luck in your quest. and i am with dave, dont over fill them. maybe it is just that dam avatar... cant stop looking at tit, ah, it.... yeah yeah, that was what i meant to say. :D ski

Last edited:
S

skimike

Dec 21, 2009
bakersfield
I spoke to him on the phone this morning right after you did and I am ordering the parts. overtitening doesnt help it only makes problems worse

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
My 09 has the same thread problem. I tried cleaning up the smashed thread but it didn't help. The plastic has softened from the heat of the pipe and IMO , replacement is probably the only fix. My brothers 08 and my old 07 M8's didn't have this problem. Is Cat warranting this issue?

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
this is what that doo guy is using

says he has it for AC to

Last edited:
D

DAN03REV

Oct 20, 2008
ALGONA, IOWA
hey guys .. DAN03REV from DOOTalk here ... glad to help .. my TYPE #3 insert will fit Crossfires, Firecats, and M series for ARCTIC CAT .... will fit any Polaris with a large oil cap (2 inch inner diameter)... and all 2003/older SKIDOO snowmobiles

will not fit these sleds:
NEW F-SERIES ARCTIC CAT
Z, ZL, ZR ARCTIC CAT
OLDER POLARIS WITH SMALL OIL CAP

DAN_03REV@YAHOO.COM is my email for any questions

Last edited:
A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
hey

I completely melted my first one, and got a new one. Lots of vents now, and heat taped threads and tank, and it hasn't melted again. Tim

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
My buddies 09 was doing the same thing last weekend. He also runs a mesh hood with slp pipe with header wrap and the stock heat shield on it.

Premium Features