• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rooster Built clutch kit review

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
I have to start out by saying that I am REALLY leary about any of these wing ding kits that everyone is selling. Ive tried a few in the past and was really dissapointed. I just picked up a 2010 xp, and after the first trip out was NOT impressed with the clutching. I thought, what the heck........havent heard anything bad about Paul's kits so might as well try one. WOW!!! Night and day difference in this sled. It absolutely hauls. I cant even describe the difference. It is like a completely new sled. Usually with a good working mountain setup, you have to sacrifice something. Good backshift = doesnt shift out as hard. Not with this one. Feels like the track is connected to the flipper top to bottoms, Consistent RPMs, great backshift, and just pulls super hard all the time.

Thanks alot Paul.:beer;:beer;:beer;

Dec 22, 2008
EASTERN, UTAH
I just got off the mtn.. my xp pulled 8200 RPM consistently.. I am ready to order the Rooster kit, but scared to ruin a good setup already... Were you guys pulling good R's before the Rooster kit, and it still made a night and day difference with clutching??

C
Sep 18, 2008
Rooster built clutching is defianately the way to go. Rode a couple weeks ago with a buddy on a new M8 nightfire, he couldn't beleive that I could consistently pull about two or three sled lengths on him every time while racing...

T
Feb 14, 2008
Golden BC
not sure about the cons i just installed a dynamoe joe kit on my xp with his ramp grind. havent had a chance to try it yet. but had one on my rev. havent heard a lot about the rooster built kits but if it performs like the dj one you will be happy you bought it. the grab on the downhills realy kicks in hard and helps hold you back and seems like you have instant power at mid rpm. less lag when grabbing some throttle. and i dont remember last time i put a belt on that sled. i lent the clutches from my rev to a friend of mine and he was impressed as well so not just me.

sorry i know this was about the rooster kits just throwing the benefits i saw from a clutch kit in general im sure that the rooster built kits are very similar.

Last edited:
S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Winter Brew(Paul), the guy that runs Rooster Built, helped me setup my Pro-X when I had that, loved the clutching on that sled.

I just got my Rooster Built setup a couple days ago, can't wait to try it out.

He gave me recommendations for my Pro-X free of charge I might add, so I feel I should pay it forward so to speak. :beer;:D Not to mention his kits have rave reviews, how could a guy go wrong?

pauly-doo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
SILVER STAR,MT
Kits

I got a clutch kit from paul about a month ago.i have noticed a more constant rpm(no up and down)when i"am in the steep and deep.preforms great in the deep powder..great customer service.he is a smart feller,not a fart smeller.give him a try..

Skidoox600

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
How do you order his kit? I've been looking into it but haven't found a website..... How much does his kit cost for a 09 summit 154"? Anyone notice belt life increase with this kit? How about Temp of clutches dropping?

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
I also bought a Camo extreme off of Paul. That made a huge difference as well. Between the track and clutching, it is a completely different sled. Paul had the best price on tracks that I could find. Also hard to beat the money back guarantee on the clutch kit.

S

smileyz

Oct 18, 2008
Lehi, Utah
Definatly best bang for your buck is Rooster Built clutching! I also picked up a Camo Extreme from Winter Brew definatly the best price for a track after contacting 4 or 5 other places.

PM "Winter Brew" Paul here on SnoWest or give them a call Rooster Built, Auburn, Wa, 253-333-8533.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Thank you! We appreciate the feedback and good words, makes it all worth it for us! :beer; There are 3 of us at the shop, definatly not a one man show.
And JFYI.....our next projects are 860-880-specific clutching (almost ready) and then the Summit 800-ETEC as soon as we can get hold of one. :beer;:)

S

Skidooer

Oct 10, 2001
My riding group has 3-2009 Summit XP's. Two are stock clutching one has a Rooster kit. They all run about even performance but the Rooster kits runs about 50 degrees hotter clutch temps according to the infared temp gauge. I am glad you guys like your kits but the thread is titled "Rooster Built clutch kit review", so this is what we saw.

For the record...I DO think winter brew is sharp and knows his stuff.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
If anyone has issues I hope they call us so we can troubleshoot and fine tune the setup. :beer;
We welcome a little criticism, that's how we learn and make improvements. There are often VERY small changes that can be made that make for improvements in performance and temps. Sometimes it is related to calibration, often it is related to wear parts or not even clutching related....either way, we will do our best to track down the issue.

Last edited:
My riding group has 3-2009 Summit XP's. Two are stock clutching one has a Rooster kit. They all run about even performance but the Rooster kits runs about 50 degrees hotter clutch temps according to the infared temp gauge. I am glad you guys like your kits but the thread is titled "Rooster Built clutch kit review", so this is what we saw.

For the record...I DO think winter brew is sharp and knows his stuff.

What were the clutch temps before the kit? Are the clutches aligned correctly? Rider weight? Are they all identical sleds? All things to consider before knocking a great product. My clutch temps dropped greatly after installing his kit. If you call him I'm sure he can help you get it to run great. Great product Paul! :D :beer;

Premium Features