• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PTO side plug foul

P
Feb 22, 2009
Hey just wondering what might cause this...also noticed that the other side was running abit rich, i would rather this then lean but just wonfering how to keep them from fouling, running champion plugs and oil cable is fine running the FBF cable and just cleaned it

thanks

P
Feb 22, 2009
just tested and have only ridden it twice since then...was good then....just did a bunch of work on the coolant system..might have bumped it...but dont think so will check again

keep the ideas coming....this is great

i know there is the big debate on the plugs and i have looked over that topic too the first owner only ever ran champion and thats what i have run..maybe time to switch and give NGK a try:eek:

P
Feb 22, 2009
ok maybe i am not following you here...with the sled off WOT then see if the oil line comes back after i let off right..

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
yes..look through the the engine area (down) and watch the oil lever move when you hit the throttle..there is no reason teh sled must be on..you will see it in full motion..try and push on it with a screw driver when it retracts back and see if your lever moves any..might be super gunked up in there or you lost a lever spring??

SLED OFF!!

M

MacDawg productions

Sep 5, 2008
Van Isle, British Columbia
This might be appropriate. Bigdawg gave me the idea. Works great, a simple carburetor spring, with a metal bracket that I made mounted on the lower left throttle body boot. Keeps the oiler cable at neutral. I had a hard time calibrating the oiler with the fbf cable. It would never want to return back to zero. Until now.

oiler cable.jpg

P
Feb 22, 2009
I thought that the FBF cable was suppose to cure this and make it so that you dont have to have the secondary spring on the cable?

M

MacDawg productions

Sep 5, 2008
Van Isle, British Columbia
I thought that the FBF cable was suppose to cure this and make it so that you dont have to have the secondary spring on the cable?

The FBF cable is a much better system, and will insure that your oiler cable will run smoother. The return spring on the oil pump lever is just weak. The new cable attaches differently, allowing for more of an independent, reliable adjustment. The stock set up is garbage. I too thought that the fbf cable was going to eliminate the sticky oil pump lever, and it does, but I put the spring on there to get a more accurate pump reading.

P
Feb 22, 2009
could the oil pump sticking cause one side to foul and not the other? this doesnt seem right.

was out last night and fouled the PTO side again and the mag side was running good.

Bought some NGK put them in for the first time last night.bpr9es and see what happens...but still doesnt seem right fouling plugs like this

F

FatBoyzfrenchy

Nov 26, 2007
Look for any cracks in the mag side boot that would make it leaner than the pto side (intake leak) ??? You could swap the boots between pto and mag and see if the problem stays with the pto side?
FBF.

P
Feb 22, 2009
hmm never thought of that..i could have gone boom :eek: last night eh if i had a boot leak....maybe ....

but why would i end up with a fouled pto side FBF?? As the builder of the cable do you think i need to add this spring?

also if the sled is running around 150 and you have an airleak can you still burn it down?? wouldnt you see a temp rise first or would it be too fast to catch?

Last edited:
D

duece1

Oct 26, 2008
If all the other items above don't get you any where take a look into your injectors. My 755 was fouling plugs on the pto side this year. Started out with just fouling the plug and evently just wouldnt fire in that hole at all. Had good spark out of the hole but when the plug was installed it would not fire. Ended up the pto side low range injector was stuck open and dumping so much fuel in that it wouldnt fire at all in that hole. I had seen Mountain Horse had posted some thing on cleaning / flow testing the injectors. Might be worth a shot. Or just pick up a used fuel rail like I did for $75.

Have you noticed prior to the plug fouling that if you feather the throttle when the engine sputters that it will begin to run good? Being it is only the one side running rich I really lean torwards an injector problem.

P
Feb 22, 2009
arent injectors expensive?? fuel rail for 75?? hmm well when i pulled out the plug last night it was hard to see cause it was dark but it looked abit wet...and it would start to hesistate and then i would jsut stop and change the plug out...didnt try to rev it up

Premium Features