• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Taking belt off M?

R

rsoukup37

Nov 9, 2009
Southeast SD
yeah take the bolt out of the secondary and turn the spacer around and tighten the bolt back up and to release secondary and it should just slide right out. and then do it the opposite putting it back on

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
So this might be a stupid question but we just picked up an M7 and havn't even looked at it yet. How do you change the belt on an 05' M7?

C
Nov 26, 2007
Kootenays!
Set the park brake, left hand on the movable sheave on the secondary, right on the face of the helix. Push with your right, push and turn with the left, Belt falls into the secondary, and roll it out. Hardest part it getting it out from around the primary. I wish the 09's didnt have to involve tools.

A
Nov 26, 2007
ANC, AK
For my M7 I bought a strap wrench from Ace Hardware and I carry it on the sled, works great. Doing it by had will work but it isn't easy (for an old guy)!!! On my new M8 you reverse the shims as mentioned above.

G

Gibsons

Nov 26, 2007
saskatoon
yup, i use an oil filter wrench now. lost a chunk out meat from my finger when doing it by hand once.

S

Shelfrost

Nov 28, 2007
Chetwynd, BC, Canada
I carry a 9/16th deep socket on an extension, 3/8th ratchet. Just pull the whole secondary off. Way quicker and easier. I fabbed a skid plate under my clutches and it's way too hard to get the belt out otherwise.

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
For my M7 I bought a strap wrench from Ace Hardware and I carry it on the sled, works great. Doing it by had will work but it isn't easy (for an old guy)!!! On my new M8 you reverse the shims as mentioned above.

X2 I bought a large oil filter wrench, wrapped some black tape around the metal band, set the parking brake, wrap the wrench around the secondary, push down remove belt.. 15 seconds tops

B
Nov 26, 2007
If you buy the aluminum end cap kit with the longer bolt just use it. I have an 05 and thats why I went to the kit just for the eae of changing the belt. It's only about $20 i think.

A
Nov 21, 2008
speedwerks makes a sweet tool for it. i can change my belt in under a minute. hardest part is opening a frozen zipper on your seat pouch haha

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I carry a 9/16th deep socket on an extension, 3/8th ratchet. Just pull the whole secondary off. Way quicker and easier. I fabbed a skid plate under my clutches and it's way too hard to get the belt out otherwise.

Thats what i do too, way quicker to just pull the secondary off the shaft than to take out the bolt, flip the spacer, put the bolt in, take the bolt out, put in the spacer, put the bolt back in......

Premium Features